Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI - It’s Miller Time…K-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Our organizational center depth is non existent.
Johnny Brodzinski and Tanner Fritz are eating up minutes on the two top spots in Hartford.
The 2022 draft is deep and at first look especially deep at the center position.
Unless they are used to address a long term solution, we should keep our first and two second round picks.
Lambert or Nazar would be a godsend to this prospect pool, but the Rangers would need to trade up to acquire both. Do Mesar or Kaspar drop? The Rangers may not need to trade up for them if things break right. McGroarty screams Rangers pick. Yet another LW.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Lambert or Nazar would be a godsend to this prospect pool, but the Rangers would need to trade up to acquire both. Do Mesar or Kaspar drop? The Rangers may not need to trade up for them if things break right. McGroarty screams Rangers pick. Yet another LW.
Rutger has been getting time on the USNDT at center this year. Also Nathan Gaucher for the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL world also be a gift.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just as much as Kravtsov didnt do enough to earn the spot. I dont know, maybe the kid should take some ownership of that…
He played fine last season NHL. He absolutely had earned his spot. He earned the right to play and grow as a player in the NHL. Whatever the issue was, which looks more like miscommunication from Drury, he's now gone and it hurt us this season when we could have used him. Can't wait to get well under what he's worth and then watch him become a 60 point player for someone else.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Rutger has been getting time on the USNDT at center this year. Also Nathan Gaucher for the Quebec Ramparts in the QMJHL world also be a gift.
McGroarty has been at LW for basically the entire 2022 calendar year once Cutter Gauthier got slotted at center between him and Snuggerud. McGroarty is one of my favorites from this draft, but he’s most likely a wing at the next level. The kids that'll be Cs from the USNTDP are Cooley and Nazar with Gauthier a potential third option. Finding a way to take Nazar would be a godsend for this organization, but they’ve shown time and time again that they value different things from the forward position

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
He played fine last season NHL. He absolutely had earned his spot. He earned the right to play and grow as a player in the NHL. Whatever the issue was, which looks more like miscommunication from Drury, he's now gone and it hurt us this season when we could have used him. Can't wait to get well under what he's worth and then watch him become a 60 point player for someone else.

Agreed. I wouldn't rule out a "stick it to Kravtsov" vendetta on Drury's part, but let's say that's a conspiracy theory for now because maybe it is. What I really think happened is that the Rangers were so focused on changing the complexion of the team to become grittier, tougher, etc., that they mishandled Kravtsov in the process. They chose far less talented options in favor of grunt workers to fill out the bottom 6. While the Rangers had good reason to focus on altering the persona of the team after last season, I think they went a smidge too far between trading Buchnevich for quite a bit less than he is really worth, and not sticking with Kravtsov. Regardless, the team is in a great position in the standings, but it's only natural to wonder if it could have been even better.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Honestly. Hayton has been an absolute flop for them and quite the embarrassment considering the kids they passed up. He's also a link to the old guard. He will always carry a bad stigma for that franchise no matter how he turns out for them.

I'd see if we could get Hayton and a 2nd for Kravtsov and one of our redundant depth prospects or Gautier/Hajek that still has a shine on him but no future here.

Will Hayton play for the Rangers? He is approaching the stage of his career where he will require waivers to be sent down to the AHL. It's the Hajek and Gauthier situation. The Rangers are afraid to lose them on waivers so they keep on the roster hoping they will find themselves and realize their potential. Maybe swap Hajek or Gauthier for Hayton.

Why not. Hayton and a 2nd for Kravtsov and Hajek/Gauthier. The Rangers give Hayton a look.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Will Hayton play for the Rangers? He is approaching the stage of his career where he will require waivers to be sent down to the AHL. It's the Hajek and Gauthier situation. The Rangers are afraid to lose them on waivers so they keep on the roster hoping they will find themselves and realize their potential. Maybe swap Hajek or Gauthier for Hayton.

Why not. Hayton and a 2nd for Kravtsov and Hajek/Gauthier. The Rangers give Hayton a look.
God no. Hayton is about as bust as they come. Hasn't done anything in any pro league since being drafted. Attitude issues aside, Kravtsov is still a great prospect.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Id absolutely take a shot on Hayton if the price was right. The whole atmosphere around Arizona for young players is not conducive to building better players and instilling confidence. Hayton or lavoie in edmonton are two guys I'd love to see get into different situations

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Do you really think Vitali Kravtsov would be willing to go to Arizona and play in a college arena? No chance. If they traded for him he likely wouldn't report. He wants to be on the big stage.

Elliotte Friedman said NHL teams have checked in with Kravtsov's camp and the player wants to play in The NHL. Gary Bettman is committed to making the Arizona situation work at all costs. According to Bettman, Arizona will have an NHL team. Kravtsov wants to play in The NHL. Arizona will offer him the opportunity to play. They don't have many NHL caliber players on their roster. They have a million second round picks. They can't keep all of them. Everyone tells us Kravtsov is worth a 2nd round pick based on other previous trades of former 1st round picks. Fine. Arizona is a fit for the Rangers and Kravtsov. The Rangers get their pick and move on. Kravtsov gets his opportunity to play and he moves on.

My stupid Apple device keeps autocorrecting to The NHL. Annoying.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Would be great to see more opportunity for Barron. He really has the size and skill to help the 3rd line.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He played 20 games and recorded just 4 points. That’s fine? Maybe. But that earns him in automatic spot on the following year’s roster? Cmon. Spare me with that BS.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Nils, Krav, and a 1st don't have near the value you'd like.

I don't agree. Again, this is the same forum that tells me JT Miller should be acquired for Nils, Krav and a first but that Strome won't even bring a second.

There is some sort of bias generated from trying to be aggressively hyper-realistic.

It's ok to speculate about a trade that you clearly win. They happen, like with the many, many examples cited.

You won't find another Seguin type unless this new guy bangs his teammates wife and disappears in the playoffs too.

Right, there's always an asterisk. I'm not suggesting that the Panthers are motivated sellers of Lundell (no matter how much I'd like it) now that he has been named rookie of the month. His stock is ascending and the "pry him out of there," price would be insane, because for all they know, he's a legit 1C very soon.

You have to find an asterisk situation. But they do come up and you can win them. Pretty frequently in fact. And in that situation Nils, Krav and a first is plenty.

Look at Chychrun. Here's a 23 year old All Star defenseman, apparently, on a great contract. By all rights that guy shouldn't be available. But he is. And a Nils, Krav, 1st package is probably an overpay in this situation.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
How many more times are you going to repeat this? I know it's been explained to you before. Kravtsov was not in competition with Gauthier. Gauthier's "spot" was "spare forward." The Rangers, shockingly, thought that Kravtsov could be more than that, so they sent him to where he could get top minutes and develop into something more useful. Not all "roster spots" are equal. Kravtsov was in competition for six of them (2 wing spots x top three lines). He was beat out by six guys (seven if we are counting Chytil as a winger now). His final cut had nothing to do with Gaut. Had nothing to do with Hajek. Had nothing to do with Hunt/Rooney/Reaves. Whining about it for--checking calendar--four f***ing months isn't going to change the fact that the "wah wah but GAUTHIER AND HAJEK wah wah!" argument has always been a load of bull.
I think I’ve posted about it two or three times since it happened. I take it you disagree. You can say that without throwing a tantrum.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
They have a million second round picks. They can't keep all of them. Everyone tells us Kravtsov is worth a 2nd round pick based on other previous trades of former 1st round picks. Fine. Arizona is a fit for the Rangers and Kravtsov. The Rangers get their pick and move on. Kravtsov gets his opportunity to play and he moves on.

2 of the 5(!) 2nd rounders AZ has in the 2022 draft are NYI and Philly, both of which will be high.

If AZ includes their own 2023 2nd in the deal, perhaps its something to consider.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

If we're calling a 1pt/60, a 43.6 CF% , and a 38.9 xGF% along with a bad shot rate "fine" our expectations are way too low.

0 points and 2 shots in 40 minutes with Panarin. 1 point in 30 minutes with Zibanejad. So it's not the linemate excuse.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Johnny Brodzinski and Tanner Fritz are eating up minutes on the two top spots in Hartford.
The 2022 draft is deep and at first look especially deep at the center position.
Unless they are used to address a long term solution, we should keep our first and two second round picks.

Hell, while I understand they aren't gonna trade from the current roster for "futures," - what would be wrong with liquidating a future for another future? If you can get a first in this draft, what about Nils for that? I'm not as interested if it's a late first, but for a middle of the round team, that might be ok. Then you can package your own first and get up for a center.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Good heavens if that is the cost for Hayton then why isn't it done already? I can't imagine he could be that cheap though.

edit: whoops, I read this as Gauthier or Hajek for Hayton. I think I still swap Krav for Hayton but not as excitedly.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If we're calling a 1pt/60, a 43.6 CF% , and a 38.9 xGF% along with a bad shot rate "fine" our expectations are way too low.

0 points and 2 shots in 40 minutes with Panarin. 1 point in 30 minutes with Zibanejad. So it's not the linemate excuse.
I think you get graded on a curve during D1 and D2.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Namestnikov kinda makes sense as a rental no ?

Kid always kept his feet moving. By all accounts he figured out the nuances of being a middle six player since he did his last tour with us as a top six hopeful.

For the right price, why not?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Watch us pick a G, a LW and a RD instead.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Get ready to hear about what Quinn did to his confidence.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Hell, while I understand they aren't gonna trade from the current roster for "futures," - what would be wrong with liquidating a future for another future? If you can get a first in this draft, what about Nils for that? I'm not as interested if it's a late first, but for a middle of the round team, that might be ok. Then you can package your own first and get up for a center.
I agree. I know about the theory that you don’t draft by position but by best player available and if you end up with too many players at the same position you then can trade from our strengths to address our weaknesses. But that is is exactly where we are. I know it’s early, as of yet teams that lack defensive prospects don’t seem eager to swap their center prospects. Even those teams that have more than one or two.
So you might be right and try and trade one or two of our defensive prospects for first’s.
We can only dress six or seven defensemen a night.

Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad