Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI - It’s Miller Time…K-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Watch us pick a G, a LW and a RD instead.
Yeah. Just mentioned that in my last reply. I not so sold on this best player available theory.
If the needs not there when we pick just trade down or if it is called for trade out this year’s first for a future years first.
Though I think this year we will have many center choices available when it is our turn to pick in the first and second round.
Fingers crossed.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah. Just mentioned that in my last reply. I not so sold on this best player available theory.
If the needs not there when we pick just trade down or if it is called for trade out this year’s first for a future years first.
Though I think this year we will have many center choices available when it is our turn to pick in the first and second round.
Fingers crossed.
Nothing more frustrating than multiple good C prospects where we pick and Gorton instead trades up for a LW or RD. Not looking forward to watching Drury this June.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
They might be. I'll figure out a way to clear cap space if I another Eichel situation cropped up.

If it's for a young center like Eichel, I'd make room. That's why you can't get tied down to the Stromes and Troubas and second class players of the league. You need the money for your stars.

We have Strome's 5.5m earmarked and I can free up more room by moving Kreider, Trouba, or Goodrow, which I would certainly do if the right piece came along.

Easy, Tyler Seguin.

Now the waiting game for what set of circumstances you'll spin up as to why this isn't applicable.

Yes, he brought back a current NHLer and three prospects. We may not have a player of Eriksson's caliber to ship out (ironically, we did with Buchnevich, as more evidence of the player he SHOULD have brought back). But our prospects are better.
The example you have is from 9 years ago, that is lightning in a bottle, not a strategy...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yeah. But I didn’t say to rely on it. You said no one makes trades that send a young 1 center for the type of assets we are shopping. I showed you they sometimes do and even more extreme than that, it happens sometimes with ELITE players. So what are you disputing that I actually said? To try to spend assets on something could actually help us long term?
Relying on JT to bring us a cup… now THAT would be delusional. Hopefully no one really believes that.
I didnt reply to you, you replied to me responding to someone else who has stated his plan is either find this unicorn young 1c or reenter a rebuild. That is HIS strategy.

Reactions: McRanger92

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The example you have is from 9 years ago, that is lightning in a bottle, not a strategy...

You've been given many examples over the years.

The problem here is that you as well as others have emotionally invested in a position that doesn't want it to be true, not that it can't be done.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No, you rely on examples that wouldnt fit here financially and then tyler seguin from 2013

Right, there's no way to find competent, even low end 1Cs. Let's throw up our hands instead of trying. I wonder how other teams do it. Our only hope is trading for Miller or riding with Strome, clearly.

~flush~

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Right, there's no way to find competent, even low end 1Cs. Let's throw up our hands instead of trying. I wonder how other teams do it. Our only hope is trading for Miller or riding with Strome, clearly.

~flush~
they draft them for the most part, and we already have a 1c in zib that we committed to like it or hate it. it is just reality. you get those players either by drafting or by signing them as ufas. occasionally a trainwreck like nolan patrick gets dealt but hat is usually for an obvious reason, but relying on A making a trade for that kind of player, and B having the player become a 1c is not a strategy. It is flipping coins into a wishing well. maybe the rangers could try to revive alexander daigle again?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
they draft them for the most part, and we already have a 1c in zib that we committed to like it or hate it. it is just reality. you get those players either by drafting or by signing them as ufas. occasionally a trainwreck like nolan patrick gets dealt but hat is usually for an obvious reason, but relying on A making a trade for that kind of player, and B having the player become a 1c is not a strategy. It is flipping coins into a wishing well. maybe the rangers could try to revive alexander daigle again?

Why not just re-sign Ryan Strome, who is better than 50% of the 2Cs in the NHL right now?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
they draft them for the most part

Then let's do that. Nils for picks instead of Nils for a rental. Not moving anything from the current roster for "futures."

and we already have a 1c in zib that we committed to like it or hate it.

Most winners have more than one top center. I like it, but Zibanejad is no Crosby or McDavid, has an injury history, and has been a little inconsistent. You need a lot to break right there for us to ride him as our 1C for the next 8 years.

And even then we need a high end 2C.

Better idea - get a young kid who can be a low end 1C who can be the 2C for now, 1C if needed later.

it is just reality.

It's not reality. There were multiple examples cited. One came up as recently as this past offseason with Eichel and the only reason he's not a Ranger is because Buffalo's ownership got pissy.

You need to find another high end center and most Cup winners do that. The Rangers did not luck into Crosby and Malkin so they have to get more creative.

If it's an expensive one, they'll have to clear room, which they will do. If it's not an expensive one, they may have to overpay in trade value, which they can also afford to do (for the moment - if they trade Nils/Krav/1st, then they probably can't afford to overpay).

This woe is the Rangers we are stuck with what we have is so false.

you get those players either by drafting or by signing them as ufas. occasionally a trainwreck like nolan patrick gets dealt but hat is usually for an obvious reason, but relying on A making a trade for that kind of player, and B having the player become a 1c is not a strategy. It is flipping coins into a wishing well.

As you have been shown, it's not. Another example is our very own acquisition of Zibanejad.

It doesn't happen "all the time," but way more than needed to be more than wishing on a star.

The Rangers have to look under some stones that don't often get turned over. That's all.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Why not just re-sign Ryan Strome, who is better than 50% of the 2Cs in the NHL right now?

I'd say at this point that isn't a terrible strategy as long as his contract is movable.

And then look to get up in the next couple drafts.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Friedman reporting that Toffoli to Calgary is close to the finish line.

Good move for them. I think Calgary can make noise in the playoffs with Markstrom. They should really be going for it with Gaudreau & Tkachuk reaching the end of their contracts.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I didnt reply to you, you replied to me responding to someone else who has stated his plan is either find this unicorn young 1c or reenter a rebuild. That is HIS strategy.
Ahaha. Fair enough. Now I’m confused. But what else is new?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We won’t be able to afford him even if we make replacement level swaps of Nemeth, Georgie, and Chytil unless he takes like 4.8 mil according to my projections.

They can fairly easily fit Strome at 5.5-6 with ELC/cheap replacements for those 3. And once you take into account that Blais & Kakko wont be getting significant raises due to injury and underperformance, its even easier. If the Rangers want to fit Strome they can. The front office has a lot more knowledge of their cap situation than us on excel spreadsheets, so I don't worry too much about it.

Reactions: bhamill

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think resigning strome would be more realistic if they had more diversity in the top 9 and or a functioning 3rd line that could offset some of strome's weaknesses.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Rangers have to look under some stones that don't often get turned over. That's all.

Who are your targets? Which stones do they need to turnover?

And you suggested trading nils for picks, you will never get the same same pick back for an unestablished player, so you would most likely be getting a worse pick than the one you used to draft nils which is a net negative in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad