Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Not homer bias in the least on my end, I'm not the biggest Fox fan TBH. Needs to work on his skating & hit the weight room, IMO....but even with that said McAvoy disappeared for weeks at a time this year.

Fox was still the better player & stats are all that matter in these dumb award votes. Being a better defensive defenseman hasn't mattered since Rod Langway won the award.
It matters to me since it’s supposed to be a trophy for best defenseman not highest scoring defenseman.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It matters to me since it’s supposed to be a trophy for best defenseman not highest scoring defenseman.
Not disagreeing, but it hasn't been voted that way in 4 decades. They should switch the award & have the current Norris called the Bobby Orr trophy, then do a separate award for the best defensive defenseman. Call that one the Norris.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not disagreeing, but it hasn't been voted that way in 4 decades. They should switch the award & have the current Norris called the Bobby Orr trophy, then do a separate award for the best defensive defenseman. Call that one the Norris.
The vibe changes from year to year.

There was one year where Karlsson was a PPG and they gave it to Doughty who scored a whole boatload less. Other years Karlsson won.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
can’t believe I’m saying this after my feelings last year but pretty obvious kreider should be made captain next season. Once he’s done here can pass the reigns to Laf.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
can’t believe I’m saying this after my feelings last year but pretty obvious kreider should be made captain next season. Once he’s done here can pass the reigns to Laf.

I dont think its that obvious. Kreider hasnt stepped up this series. Its been the kids and the resurgence of Lindgren.
Trouba has been a complete disaster this series as well.

Lindgren is who i see as the next captain.

• Love
Reactions: RagFinMet

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There is no chance in hell that McAvoy finishes ahead of Fox in the Norris vote. Fox may have not been at his best this year, but McAvoy was pretty pedestrian all season. He's raised his game in the series againt Carolina, but that doesn't count toward the results, nor would it be enough to elevate him into the discussion anyway.

People think McAvoy is better because he’s more physical. Fox is significantly a better player in every way

Reactions: Dijock94

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'll be honestly relieved to move on from Strome. I feel like healthy Copp outplays him easily. Even if there are less points, what Copp adds overall is still a net positive.

I think there's also space to upgrade the 4th line. Motte is what we need more of.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Strome doesn’t lack enthusiasm, but he doesn’t play “the right way.” Drury and Gallant almost certainly prefer Copp’s game on the second line. It’ll be a question of whether they risk Panarin throwing a tantrum.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Strome doesn’t lack enthusiasm, but he doesn’t play “the right way.” Drury and Gallant almost certainly prefer Copp’s game on the second line. It’ll be a question of whether they risk Panarin throwing a tantrum.
The "next step" is progress in the post-season. Bottom line is the team cannot afford 2 "soft" top lines that "improvise" rather than play with structure in the post season. The Pens are hanging with the Rangers now because they have a system as a baseline. These Rangers would be roadkill playing against say the Canes (again) or the Avs.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'll be honestly relieved to move on from Strome. I feel like healthy Copp outplays him easily. Even if there are less points, what Copp adds overall is still a net positive.

I think there's also space to upgrade the 4th line. Motte is what we need more of.

Blais, Goodrow, Motte is a solid basis to start a 4th line. Expensive, but solid.

Reaves and Hunt as extras.

Panarin-Copp-Kakko or Panarin-Copp-Kravtsov.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

I think Copp is pretty closer to Strome offensively. Hell, he only had 1 point less this season and outscored Strome without the pp time since joining the Rangers. Defensively it's not even close. Strome is horrible defensively.

It's an easy choice for me and I think Drury probably feels the same way given a choice between those two. I think he will re-sign Copp unless he find can find a more rugged two-way center to trade for, but that will be hard to do.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Go Rangers

Mar 16, 2022
Franklin Tn
3D005D71-1BD5-4AB2-8953-2E6909522057.png

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I dont think its that obvious. Kreider hasnt stepped up this series. Its been the kids and the resurgence of Lindgren.
Trouba has been a complete disaster this series as well.

Lindgren is who i see as the next captain.

Kreider stepped up last night but before that he was mostly invisible. I can’t give it to him. It’s a lifetime achievement award captaincy if he’s named.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fox with a four point night in an elimation game. Guy is overpaid. Lol

Fox, Panarin and Ziba aren’t perfect — but what especially the first two mentioned can do is score at will even against teams that tries to protect a lead and don’t give up anything. That is unique. When ever you see stats on how teams are doing with a lead going into the 3rd it’s numbers like 20-2-1 or whatever. That wouldn’t be the case if more teams had guys that can blow things open by themselves.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That’s Copp.

I love Copp, but am scared for what he might get this summer. GMs in the NHL are terrible at falling in love with players getting some spot light this time of the year. We could be done playing in 2 days, but if we go a little deeper and Copp keeps performing, he could move out of our price range.

I am not taking anything away from Strome or Copp — but one thing that just is something that we — must — take advantage of is the fact that Panarin can put a center over the top by himself. We can get 6-7m performance from a guy who haven’t made it in that sense elsewhere and hence can be cheap. We have so many expensive guys. I think Kakko and Laf are coming and they will get paid too. It’s an impossible equation no matter what, and singing another vet to a long term deal could make things bloody.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1. Will Vatrano take a 1-year deal to get to play with Ziba and ice a good 82 game season? Could put him over the top. I would sign him.

2. I don’t see how we can commit long term to either Strome or Copp. The later on a Goodrow deal? I love the player and would be in heaven. But he will get paid too much for us in all liklihood.

3. We always knew that we would be flexible this year and be up against it next season. Look, this will — and should! Otherwise we are taking short cuts — show in the lineup.

4. I am 110% comfortable going into next season with this lineup. Three even lines and a great 4th. One of the better blue lines in the league and the best goalie.

Lineup:
Kravy-Ziba-Vatrano
Panarin-Laf-Goodrow
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko
Reeves-Rooney-Blais
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Shesty

PP1:
Kreider-Ziba-Kakko
Panarin-Fox

5. It’s just so backwards to risk making decisions now that cost us a ton later, or risk, I know they would. Vets grow older and some don’t maintain a high level. That is life. We have exceeded our quota by a ton and then some already. 5+ long term for Copp? Perfectly OK contract in my world in a vacuum, but we can’t afford it.

What are we so afraid of? The above lineup? Have faith. Nothing whatsoever to be scared about with that team.

6. Take a little step back next season — that really gives the kids, Kakko and Laf as well as Kravy, a shot at taking a step forward instead. Kravy would develop like gold during WWIII playing with Ziba. Laf can C, just need to be put there. Panarin will carry him no matter what. Kreider would make Chytil. Take him to another level. Do it.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Krav is not coming in and being gifted top six minutes. Kaapo never bitched or ran away from the team when he sure as hell could've. That's his spot. Work your way up or f*ck off.

Kakko is 100% proving this series that he can drive a line, many moments where Laf and Chytil have vanished and Kakko is alone on the boards working with those two being MIA or honestly in just bad position.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Motte is a guy I’d extend on term to try to lower his cap hit. The addition of a full season Motte and Blais next year helps improve the depth here. I’d also be on the lookout for a bargain bin quasi-physical 3rd/4th liner. Someone like Johan Larsson would be great but wait out the market and see what’s available.

Vatrano to me is the luxury the team can’t afford without a major shakeup.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Copp-Kaako
Blais-Chytil-Kravtsov
Motte-Goodrow-Hunt

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad