Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wonder what the ask for Smith will be? Gauthier or Hajek and a mid round pick? Vegas cap situation hurts them in what the return would be.

I would also explore what the cost of Paveleski would be. If Blais is out long term, only question would be where to fit Chytil in.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Paveleski - Strome
Laff - Goodrow - Smith
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Wonder what the ask for Smith will be? Gauthier or Hajek and a mid round pick? Vegas cap situation hurts them in what the return would be.

I would also explore what the cost of Paveleski would be. If Blais is out long term, only question would be where to fit Chytil in.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Laff - Goodrow - Smith
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves
Smith probably won't cost much but he's also not getting moved until Vegas gets their guys back. I think the better question on this supposed roster is where does Strome fit? Do you really see Strome being a better winger than he is a center? I think you move Smith to 2rw and then you have Chytil centering Goodrow on his wing, where both players have played their best. Easy solution.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This team has more than one serious need.

It's very obvious we did not put enough effort into acquiring future forwards.

They filled the D prospect core to the brim. They acquired more than they reasonably had room for despite the presence of veterans, even ones who could be reasonably inferred to be long-term ones like Shattenkirk or Trouba. We ended up having to buy guys out there rather than wait for their contracts to expire, partially because we had so many options. Even in kids, we have more than we can ever fit if they all pan out.

But on offense, it's like, well, we are good for right now, heaven forbid that we acquire a player who threatens the future roster spot of Chris Kreider. We are good with assuming late round pick Morgan Barron turns into a top-6 keeper. It's like on offense, they want just barely enough talent, and maybe not even enough, but on defense they want too much.

It's almost like they are scared of having too much talent on offense because it will squeeze out the Rooneys, Hunts, and Reaveses.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like the idea of Pavelski, but I don't want to commit anything more than a 1-2 year deal. Would he take that? He has a $7m cap hit with an $8m salary this season and by the time next season starts, he'll be 38. I could see the team bringing him in like they did with Shanahan however many seasons ago. Provide PP help and some secondary scoring in the top-6.

In saying all of that, I hate the idea of giving up a prime prospect + pick for him as a rental.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Laff - Goodrow - Smith
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves

I'm gonna say thanks but no thanks to any 38 year olds.

Reactions: Cheapshot

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I like the idea of Pavelski, but I don't want to commit anything more than a 1-2 year deal. Would he take that? He has a $7m cap hit with an $8m salary this season and by the time next season starts, he'll be 38. I could see the team bringing him in like they did with Shanahan however many seasons ago. Provide PP help and some secondary scoring in the top-6.

In saying all of that, I hate the idea of giving up a prime prospect + pick for him as a rental.

That's the biggest issue.

He will still cost an asset or assets.

We should be parlaying all available assets into the best YOUNG forward (center) we can get our hands on. Not squandering them on a 38 year old who won't be here in 6 months to 2 years. We should not be all-in on a Cup run this year. We have many, many years for that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Pavelski can do a lot of what this team needs on the ice and with the intangibles of being an "old guy without a Cup" who has spent his career going on deep playoff runs. Id love to add him and tack on a year or two extension like they did with Reaves.

On a similar note, if i was Drury, id be hard at work trying to get Rooney signed to a contract like Nic Dowd just got from Washington. Hes a keeper. Protecting him over Blackwell was a smart move.

Reactions: RGY

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm gonna say thanks but no thanks to any 38 year olds.
He'd be 6th in team scoring and is a proven playoff performer. I wouldn't outright say no just because of age. You have to consider the price and where our roster is at. If you can get him as a rental at the TDL for a 5th round pick, I'd make that trade.

Reactions: RGY

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He'd be 6th in team scoring and is a proven playoff performer. I wouldn't outright say no just because of age. You have to consider the price and where our roster is at. If you can get him as a rental at the TDL for a 5th round pick, I'd make that trade.

For a 5th at the deadline, ok, fine, because at that price it doesn't matter if you let him walk after the season.

Not given up any serious assets though. No firsts, no prospects who are likely to be top-9 forwards or top-4 defenders.

Reactions: bl02

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Fox has definitely gotten less respect this year. Teams are clearly opting out of playing the puck with him and are just going for the body--especially in the defensive zone. Lindgren has struggled because the first play for fox in the d-zone in most cases is a d-to-d pass, but leading the breakout is definitely a weakness in Lindgren's game.

KAM is an intriguing option because he's got much more ability to skate or pass the puck up ice when fox is covered. I don't hate Lindgren's game this year, but the pairing has been less effective for sure.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Pavelski, depending on his production by the deadline, will at least cost a 2nd round pick and a B level prospect such as Pajuniemi. And thats worth it imo.

Maybe you do a conditions based deal like we did with Zucc.

2nd round pick + 4th round pick. Conditions on the 4th. If they make the ECF its a 3rd. If they make the SCF, an additional 2nd. No prospects attached.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Pavelski, depending on his production by the deadline, will at least cost a 2nd round pick and a B level prospect such as Pajuniemi. And thats worth it imo.

Maybe you do a conditions based deal like we did with Zucc.

2nd round pick + 4th round pick. Conditions on the 4th. If they make the ECF its a 3rd. If they make the SCF, an additional 2nd. No prospects attached.

No Brainer if thats the ask. Paju is intriguing but realistically hes not high on the pecking order for the Rangers current and future wing depth

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
No Brainer if thats the ask. Paju is intriguing but realistically hes not high on the pecking order for the Rangers current and future wing depth

But you can count the number of actually interesting Rangers wing prospects on one hand, and Paju is one of them.

It's a weakness.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But you can count the number of actually interesting Rangers wing prospects on one hand, and Paju is one of them.

It's a weakness.

Specifically near term. Berard, Othmann and Cuylle look good but they are all probably 2-3 years away. Barron and Pajuniemi are really the only guys whop are close (assuming Kravtsov isn't counted...)

Reactions: Fitzy

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What contract are people going to give Pavelski that fits next season? Because bringing him in as a rental is a BAD IDEA
Really depends. Would he be ok with a pay cut given his age? $5 million per for a 2 year deal?

I am absolutely ok with him as a rental depending on where we are at the deadline.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Specifically near term. Berard, Othmann and Cuylle look good but they are all probably 2-3 years away. Barron and Pajuniemi are really the only guys whop are close (assuming Kravtsov isn't counted...)

I had Kravy, Othmann, Berard, Cuylle, Paju.

I see Barron as an NHL center but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Cag29 and NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Really depends. Would he be ok with a pay cut given his age? $5 million per for a 2 year deal?

I am absolutely ok with him as a rental depending on where we are at the deadline.

But can they actually fit him at $5m? The team can't re-sign Strome but we can fit Pavelski?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
One thing that has to happen is that Lafreniere has to start playing rw, theres a spot for him there, at best theres a spot from time to time on the left side in the top 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad