Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Some are gonna be awfully disappointed when Strome signs a new deal here.
Yes as we should be. Because he is a nothing hockey player. He is strictly a beneficiary of playing with Panarin. He is atrocious defensively with just a point blank low hockey IQ. He doesn’t bring much other than “some” offensive upside. “Some” being something that is replaceable. There is no in between with him. When he is playing bad offensively, he doesn’t offer anything else. At least with Kakko struggling to score he plays solid defense and uses his body and strength in the offensive zone. Strome just does fly by’s, unwilling to engage in serious contact.

I despise him. The sooner he is gone, which will likely be via free agency, the better. Life will go on and our all world elite talent in Panarin will learn to play with someone else.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Strome is kind of a vanilla player but he seems like a big IRL personality compared to most of these guys, he'd probably be a great candidate to wear a letter if he was either a little better or a little less lazy. I can see a rebuilding team with a lot of cap signing him to a disgusting contract but most of the ex-Rangers around the league have done okay. Maybe he'll have a bad year, then he'll resurface as Matvei Michkov's best friend

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd like a guy like E.Rod if we don't re-sign Rooney... has more potential than Rooney as a middle 6 center. He's done a great job with Penguins roster in shambles

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I don’t even fully agree with this, but I saw it posted on Twitter and I lmao at it and had to share it here.
14F9782A-5DF0-4061-BFE2-F1069FCE08A1.jpeg

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Strome is probably our best center and some of you people hate his guts lol. I don't get it.

Because he is the poster boy of what holds this team back from consistent success.

He doesn't rise up to the challenge of the big game or moment. He doesn't engage physically in board battles or the forecheck. He is not a "200 foot" player. He takes lazy or stupid penalties. He is guilty of overpassing.

Watching him play against the Islanders and Canes and you will see the herpes come out. Otherwise giving him a contract is like kissing on the lips and praying.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So many people busy spending money we don't have.

We have 11 mil in cap space next year, assuming the cap goes up as expected, and need to sign 6 forwards and a backup goalie. Kakko and Blais will be 2 of those forwards.

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Strome is probably our best center and some of you people hate his guts lol. I don't get it.

Because to the extent the team has big problems it’s with their centers.

We need an upgrade. If you could get Strome as a third center we’d love it, but we can’t pay him enough to keep him in that role.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
By what standards? And any argument you can try and make would be followed by the bar is set pretty low here, especially with Zibanejad off to a slow start.
Perhaps the bar is set low, but I think he gets a lot of unnecessary hate for what he brings to the table. No he's not a great defensive center, no he doesn't skate all that well, he's not physical. But what he does well is often overlooked. He's consistently been one of the better players in the league at setting up high quality shots. He has really good playmaking skills in general, and is a really great complement to our best forward. Over the past 3 years there haven't been many players who are better relative to their team in xGF/60 at 5v5 than Strome. If anything he's perfectly fine where he is, it's the top line center that isn't carrying his weight.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The postponed game up in Ottawa should help things.

An off day instead of playing and then traveling back home for a 6pm start on Sunday back to back against the Sabres.

No more 3 games in that 4 night stretch and 2 more days off after the Sabres. So now they are looking at 14 off days in a 22 day span.

With the crazy start to their schedule in this condensed Olympic year this was a good time to get an additional little break for recovery

Not to mention they will likely push out a game they should have an easier chance of winning to later in the year

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Strome is a good soldier and a great second line center but enough posters have run the numbers here to convince me that there’s almost no way they can keep him.

Ryan should go get paid. It’s the right time for him to do it and he should take every red cent from his next contract to set him up for life.

We just aren’t in a position to give him that and it would be crazy unselfish for him to take a pay cut on his last big contract coming off some offensive inflation.

Zuccarello was a lot younger when he took a discount. I bet shattenkirk regrets taking a discount at age 28 for NYR.

Have to start thinking about the post Strome NYR and how that is gonna work as the season goes along. Bargain bin hunting for the next Prospal seems the most auspicious route to me.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What's your solution for the 2nd line?

I know you didn’t ask me this question but…

I’m pretty confident a center with a high IQ can learn to play with Panarin.

The reality is that we are a little bit cash strapped until Trouba is eventually traded. They are going to have to find a way to fill the final pieces of the roster while being cheap with Panarin’s center.

Now if someone with a large salary retires or is traded tomorrow sign me up for team Strome but until then, he’s gonna get added to Buchnevich Yandle and Hagelin on the list of “sorry we can’t afford you”

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad