Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think the Rangers will keep Staal at least one more year. He’s not the player he was 5-6 years ago but he has had a decent season. His NTC modifies after this season and there’s no rush right now to saddle the team with another long term buyout. Additionally he seems to be embracing his role as a mentor to the young defensemen.

Yeah, and it’s always better to wait with a buyout as long as possible, you buy someone out to get immediate cap space. There is of course zero reason for us to borrow cap space from the future to get more cap space next season. We should be doing the complete opposite.

Reactions: belford222

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
With Kovy, I think our top9 is great... at least on paper.

How the hell is Gorton going to fix the defensive unit. What top pair defenseman could be acquired? They didn't want to pay Mac, I can't see them dishing out a fat contract to Carlson. Karlsson could be had, but he's going to demand 9-10M$ in the following year. This is where the 'rebuild' truly lies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

How the hell is Gorton going to fix the defensive unit. What top pair defenseman could be acquired? They didn't want to pay Mac, I can't see them dishing out a fat contract to Carlson. Karlsson could be had, but he's going to demand 9-10M$ in the following year. This is where the 'rebuild' truly lies.

Carlson is UFA this summer, so is Green. Carlson means a long-term contract, Green will probably be short-term

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

And he is not even great defensive player! I would pass on the Erik K. contract. Besides he is the same age as Kreider 27 years old, which means he is borderline outside the window when we are going to compete next time concerning a cup.

It`s not worth the cost of Erik, unless if we somehow can get him for free if Erik refuse his contract offer from Ottawa. For a big haul of prospects and 1st picks? Not in a million lights years - and that is what Ottawa franchise is looking for a big haul of future prospects for Erik.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Define great for me.

How the hell is Gorton going to fix the defensive unit. What top pair defenseman could be acquired?

A big issue here with many of you guys is this exact mentality.

We’re a rebuilding team. We shouldn’t be looking to “acquire” a top pairing dmen. We need to focus on drafting that dmen.

And **** the entire idea of signing Benedict Kovalchuk. He wants to win a Cup. We’re going to miss the playoffs and have already taken the necessary steps to rebuild.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
This is the way I see it unfolding - they sign at least one middle-tier defensive defensemen and AV stays in as coach. Then there's still a lot of cap room left on the table. Something will be done with that space. If there's one certainty in this game, with this team, it's that they like to spend the limit. They're most likely not going into the season with 10 million in cap room.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This is the way I see it unfolding - they sign at least one middle-tier defensive defensemen and AV stays in as coach. Then there's still a lot of cap room left on the table. Something will be done with that space. If there's one certainty in this game, with this team, it's that they like to spend the limit. They're most likely not going into the season with 10 million in cap room.

A lot depends on what other trades we make. If we trade Zucc, Spooner and/or Namestnikov (I don't think we'll trade Hayes, Skjei, Kreider, Zib or Vesey), we are going to have quite a bit more cap space to work with, but at the same time, I don't think we are going to turn around and spend that money on free agents. I'm sure we will sign some free agents, but I don't think any of those deal will be longer than 2 years, so we aren't likely to go after any big names.

Having cap space is a good thing. It gives us options. We shouldn't be looking to spend that money just because we have it. Wait for the right opportunity.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Having considering it for a while -- I think that we definitely should consider going for Erik Karlsson as a UFA in the summer of 2019.

There are many truths in this league that should be questioned. One of them is that defense wins championships. Right now I don't think you can dispute that offense wins championships. Defense might win you games and get you into the POs, but from there its so much about the offense. The haves and have nots differ mostly when it comes to offense. You can get that offense from a Crosby or McDavid, a Kane, and so forth. But you could also try for 30 years to get that Crosby or McDavid and not succeed. There must be a back-up plan. Sure we will need very talented young forwards to build a new contender in NY. But one guy that can make a heck of a difference offensively is Erik Karlsson. Sure I get all the cons, there are many arguments you can make against it. Age. Health. Contract. And what not. However at the bottom line I definitely think that he makes sense.

First of all offensive Ds if anyone in this league has a long shelf life. Karlsson is definitely not the type who will slow down due to becoming older and heavy, less explosive. Injuries? Sure its a part of it -- but Karlsson has an impact offensively at his peak that can be compared to Crosby and McDavid, if you don't get 100%, 75% is more than you will get from just about anyone not in the top 10 in the league. Karlsson has also been a one man team the last years, on a better team he would be targeted a lot less. Go get him! :)

To put it like this, will Erik Karlsson still be a top offensive force in the NHL in 2025? I just think its very likely. Not a Hart Candidate anymore, but still a top offensive force. I would be very surprised if he wasn't good at least up until he gets to 37-38 y/o, that is 2027-2028. If we luck out and get Brady Tkachuk with our top pick this draft -- we can basically expect a contribution towards the later 2020's from him too. What is the problem?

Of course there are some unknowns. He could be in a car accident tomorrow. Players get career ending injuries once in a while and Karlsson is targeted a lot by any standard. But if Karlsson moves from Ottawa -- do you think whomever gets him would regret it? I just think its very safe to get him and expect a great return on and off the ice. We need all the help we can get. How are we building a top 10 offense in this league? Getting Karlsson would be a tremendous start. Even if we still move out vets next season -- I think we can start to forget about getting top picks from 2019 and forward anyway, we won't suck enough. This year and next year -- 2 years where we will get higher picks. We traded "everyone" we still don't suck.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
A lot depends on what other trades we make. If we trade Zucc, Spooner and/or Namestnikov (I don't think we'll trade Hayes, Skjei, Kreider, Zib or Vesey), we are going to have quite a bit more cap space to work with, but at the same time, I don't think we are going to turn around and spend that money on free agents. I'm sure we will sign some free agents, but I don't think any of those deal will be longer than 2 years, so we aren't likely to go after any big names.

Having cap space is a good thing. It gives us options. We shouldn't be looking to spend that money just because we have it. Wait for the right opportunity.

The Bobfather has already said Gorton is not interested in long term deals for free agents. I could see Gorton using cap space to take on a poisonous contract in order to add more assets (hint - Bobby Ryan,)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Bobfather has already said Gorton is not interested in long term deals for free agents. I could see Gorton using cap space to take on a poisonous contract in order to add more assets (hint - Bobby Ryan,)

Bobby Ryan has 4 years left on his contract. Maybe it's semantics, but I consider that a long term deal. We may take on a bad contract, but I don't think it will be Ryan, Gaborik or Lucic unless maybe, maybe the other team is retaining. Even then, I doubt it.

I think someone like Orpik or Colin Wilson are more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad