Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
That's a good observation because this team hasn't had a guy really want to be captain since #11. Every one since him has kind of had the honor foisted on him and has looked really uncomfortable carrying the symbolism and responsibility.

I'd say Callahan was a guy that really embraced and respected the role of a captain. MSL didn't have the C on his chest, but he was the de facto while he was here. Richie did a lot off the ice that a captain would do. So you've had leadership in the room. Especially from 2012-2015. It went downhill from there.

What the room is missing is self accountability. You either need a coach that will drill that in, or you need a group that will carry the load. The Rangers have neither at the moment.

I can't really post the details, even though it's been a few years, but the a contingent of players did have issues with the internal leadership structure. When you have a shift like that, you need to be able to fill that gap, and they weren't able to.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
So on D is the consensus Pionk can make it In the top 6 but the rest of the kids are meh?
Seems to be. Gilmour being a wild card, that his skills and willingness to make plays which could translate into him being potent enough to deal with other shortcomings and that if he find he can play aggressively and beat the forecheck in the NHL, he may force his way into becoming a weapon from the backend. But I think people feel that's still very premature. Pionk showing the all-around game. think deangelo is in a different boat all together. He's an NHLer, can they coach him up and will he learn the game well enough to become a 3-4 instead of a 5-6, depth offensive guy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd keep namestnikov over spooner personally.. I think spooner. If he isn't scoring...doesnf do anything worthwhile out there...nams seems to be a productive and noticeable player when he isn't scoring . Frankly I'd trade both .

Reactions: Ola and Rongomania

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Any chance we trade up in this draft?
Arizona needs their bad contracts to get to the floor.
I think Colorado owns Ottawa’s pick.
That leaves Either getting extremely lucky in the draft lottery or trading Spooner with our first pick to Buffalo along with some other asset. I don’t know what we could offer that Edmonton or Vancouver would need for their first?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We could trade up for a Wahlstrom or for a defenseman 'we love' ( Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson )

At his current pace, Kravtsov will be a solid pick at 11.

We’ve got a pick AT LEAST in the first 15, Two later 1sts, Two 2nds, Two 3rds, Zucc, Spoon, Names & a bunch of solid prospects at different positions. Fellas, Gorts is going to be swinging for the fences at the draft with his bevy of pieces. I just have a really good feeling we’re going to be coming out on top of this draft.

Reactions: Heckler81

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

10 more games to go. Tragic number is 10. Andersson and Chytil should be here later this week. The Rangers have 7 games remaining against current playoff teams.

Carolina and the Islanders are beyond awful. Their goaltending is below average. Both of them have 11 games remaining. They are playing each other on Sunday. One of them has to win. Right? Carolina is playing 7 non-playoff teams. The Islanders are playing 6 non-playoff teams. The Rangers play both of them on the road.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I want Kovalchuk next year. I don't care about the age, but you need to score to win, and he can score. I don't buy the whole no character, he went ahead of Spezza 17 years ago (yeah it's been that long) because scouts loved his will to win.

Was Ilya out of shape for a couple of years in Russia, I heard that was the case, but not in recently. The player that was out there in the Olympics, that guy could still skate. I think this team needs a player like him in the locker room.

What are the Rangers winning? The team is rebuilding.

Kovalchuk said he wants to match Datsyuk's accomplishments of winning a Cup,Olympic gold medal and World Championship. If that's true and Kovalchuk has given a million reasons why he broke his NHL contract which means his word is believable as Putin's word, why would Kovalchuk come here? The Rangers are a rebuilding team. They aren't winning a championship in the near future. Not unless the lottery combinations go their way for a couple of years.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What are the Rangers winning? The team is rebuilding.

Kovalchuk said he wants to match Datsyuk's accomplishments of winning a Cup,Olympic gold medal and World Championship. If that's true and Kovalchuk has given a million reasons why he broke his NHL contract which means his word is believable as Putin's word, why would Kovalchuk come here? The Rangers are a rebuilding team. They aren't winning a championship in the near future. Not unless the lottery combinations go their way for a couple of years.

But, Mackenzie and Friedman have said this rebuild will be fast!!!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

10 more games to go. Tragic number is 10. Andersson and Chytil should be here later this week. The Rangers have 7 games remaining against current playoff teams.

Carolina and the Islanders are beyond awful. Their goaltending is below average. Both of them have 11 games remaining. They are playing each other on Sunday. One of them has to win. Right? Carolina is playing 7 non-playoff teams. The Islanders are playing 6 non-playoff teams. The Rangers play both of them on the road.

What I'd like to see is Chytil put on the wing with Kreider and Zibanejad, and Andersson centering Namestkikov and Buchnevich,

Reactions: belford222

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Montreal has forever been in need of a first-line centre and even though the Rangers require a star forward, they say they won’t jump into the Tavares fire. And it’s hard to imagine Detroit and Carolina not taking a run at Tavares.

Didn’t know this name until recently. Called-up rookie Neal Pionk looks like a real find on defence for the New York Rangers

SIMMONS: NHL teams drooling over possible free-agent John Tavares

I’m sorry, but I cannot conceive of a reason John Tavares would sign as a free agent with the Rangers. Even if No. 91 can be inscrutable, everyone agrees loyalty is one of the Islanders captain’s fundamental bedrocks.

So he is going to leave the perpetually building Islanders, where he can sign for eight years, to come to the rebuilding Rangers, where he could only sign for seven years?

Why?

So why would Kovalchuk sign with a rebuilding team? Why? He will have other suitors. The guy wants to win a Cup. Brooks is not making any sense here.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/nhls-broken-playoff-system-still-passing-off-mediocrity-as-parity/

On three different occasions over the past few weeks, The Post has encountered people inside the NHL who either implied or inquired about the possibility of the Rangers going after superlative defenseman Erik Karlsson, who it seems inevitable will be traded by the Senators before the June 22 draft.

As appealing as the idea may be of his fellow Swede, Henrik Lundqvist, in net watching as Karlsson’s long hair flies behind him on a rush up the Garden ice, so many questions of practicality arise. Such as, how would his contract extension, which would start in 2019-20 (and would be part and parcel of any deal in which the Blueshirts give up significant assets), fit into the Rangers’ rebuilding plan?

(Answer: It wouldn’t.)

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/rangers-adding-erik-karlsson-a-dream-that-should-stay-that-way/

So Gorton is going to trade more than he got for McDonagh and pay Karlsson much more than McDonagh in a long-term contract? That's rebuilding? It's ridiculous.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
But, Mackenzie and Friedman have said this rebuild will be fast!!!

How many "fast" rebuilds have taken place? Gorton said "rebuild this thing" and "overhaul the roster" when he spoke to Boomer and his partner on February 27. The podcast is available.

People point to the Avs as an example of a quick turnaround. They have two young stud forwards in MacKinnon and Rantanen.

MacKenzie and Freidman say the Rangers will sign all of these veteran forwards to short term contracts. Is that really going to lead to a faster rebuild?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
How many "fast" rebuilds have taken place? Gorton said "rebuild this thing" and "overhaul the roster" when he spoke to Boomer and his partner on February 27. The podcast is available.

People point to the Avs as an example of a quick turnaround. They have two young stud forwards in MacKinnon and Rantanen.

MacKenzie and Freidman say the Rangers will sign all of these veteran forwards to short term contracts. Is that really going to lead to a faster rebuild?

Depends on how many pieces the team has when the rebuild starts. The Rangers have quite a few, especially on Forward, with the D needing the most help.

Boston turned it around pretty quick when holding on to some vets.

Zibs, Zuccs, Hayes, Fast, Buch, Kreider, Spooner, Names, & Vesey is a pretty decent core to add to. Chytill and Andersson ready? UFA? We'll see.

Staal, Shattenkirk, Pionk, Skjei is weaker, for sure. ADA? Smith?

We're set in goal.

I don't see why they wouldn't be competing for a playoff spot next year in this parity hell that is the NHL.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
SIMMONS: NHL teams drooling over possible free-agent John Tavares

So why would Kovalchuk sign with a rebuilding team? Why? He will have other suitors. The guy wants to win a Cup. Brooks is not making any sense here.
The key to reading Brooks is knowing why he is writing this? Who gave him the info and what is their agenda? The kovalchuk pieces are coming from his agent. So the cup talk is either fluff to mold kovalchuk's image or that is his real goal. The rangers traded away 3 top players and Shattenkirk hasn't played in a while. Despite that, they are playing well. For a dude in Russia, we might not seem like we are far off. Maybe he thinks we get Tavares and Karlsson. We know better because we are immersed. He knows the typical rangers reputation.

Or, they are using us to get the bids up.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Gotta think if Smith comes to camp in shape they will try and rebuild his value so I see the D as Skjei , Shattenkirk , Smith , Pionk , deAngelo.

Trade Staal to Carolina at 50 for a pick and TVR

Rather see Gilmour and O Gara as AHL call ups with Kampfer as the 7th

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So on D is the consensus Pionk can make it In the top 6 but the rest of the kids are meh?

TDA is in there too.

Pionk still needs to improve. But for a rookie just getting his feet wet he does look promising for sure.

Gilmour? It’s hard to tell. I think we love how fast he moves the puck. With a kid you preferably want to be able to tell them what is required — when you can do x/y/z you will play. Gilmour however seems like a player who will be falling a bit short in some areas but is a bit of an X factor since his pros could still make up for his shortcomings.

Like what is stopping Gilmour from splitting a defense open with that speed out of his own zone — on a shift by shift basis? The marginals are really small and you got to be so strong, read the game so well and be so consistent to pull it off. But at least I cannot put much of a cap in his transition game in terms of potential.

In the end I am probably leaning towards Gilmour being a bit of a long shot — but you never know. To put it like this, I don’t think Gilmour will make it if he just rounds off his game. I think he needs to take another big step with the puck, really push it.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
From an asset management perspective, we should keep all 3 of Hayes, Spooner, Names and lock them in at mult years at around 4-4.5. That will wind up good value. Zucc is the one “expiring”, a few years older, rightfully expecting a raise and prob has the most value. trade him now unless market stinks. If we need another vet F, we sign one short term for free like Kovy or someone.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think ADA is def on this team next year.

Personally

Skjei DeAngelo
Staal Shattenkirk
Smith Pionk

You can flip those righty D around

Is that a cup contending blueline? No but shouldn’t be if we’re rebuilding. Our strength will be in goal and up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad