Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All the Rangers need to do is get into the playoffs. I don't care how or why or what seed they are. I like our chances in 7 games against any team in the league.
If we're playing well at 5v5 and our goaltending and PP are semi-meeting expectations, then yeah, we're gonna be a real tough out.

I just kinda feel like this was the year to make a bit of a surprise run, but we did it last year, and now the expectations are just a bit too amped.

This was never a team that was going to run everyone over. I hope they're that in two years with a lot going right.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm also holding out hope that one of Othmann or Berard or maybe somebody else sheds expectations and becomes a legit star.

All of the top contenders except for f***ing Colorado and their 19-year rebuild have had non-lottery picks become core guys.

That might sound crazy but if I told you in June of 2019 "in 720 days, they're going to be announcing that Adam Fox won the Norris," you would have me committed. It does happen. You do hit on guys.

I'll respond to both- I mean ideally Panarin ends up with the kind of longevity you hope for from a finesse winger and is still a PPG player at the end of his contract. I think that should be the minimum expectation.

Maybe Zibby isn't able to play as an all situations 1C in 4 years but he should still be able to center the 2nd line or perhaps move to wing, and as long as he is on the PP with Fox and Panarin he will produce.

The 2nd window idea I think has a lot of merit to it, but NYR need to build depth (players that also won't be super expensive to re-sign) and that's what I'm hoping for from Berard/Othmann/Cuylle/others.

If this team had a bottom 6 of Pouliot-Brassard-Nash and Moore-Boyle-Dorsett we'd be cup favorites. Gotta get that balance.

But as long as we have Adam Fox here in NYR blue I don't think we should be rebuilding. He's a franchise player that you build around.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll respond to both- I mean ideally Panarin ends up with the kind of longevity you hope for from a finesse winger and is still a PPG player at the end of his contract. I think that should be the minimum expectation.

Maybe Zibby isn't able to play as an all situations 1C in 4 years but he should still be able to center the 2nd line or perhaps move to wing, and as long as he is on the PP with Fox and Panarin he will produce.

The 2nd window idea I think has a lot of merit to it, but NYR need to build depth (players that also won't be super expensive to re-sign) and that's what I'm hoping for from Berard/Othmann/Cuylle/others.

If this team had a bottom 6 of Pouliot-Brassard-Nash and Moore-Boyle-Dorsett we'd be cup favorites. Gotta get that balance.

But as long as we have Adam Fox here in NYR blue I don't think we should be rebuilding. He's a franchise player that you build around.
Hell, I think Kreider could settle nicely into a third line and PP role right now.

Plus I really just want to see more Kreider-Chytil.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'm also holding out hope that one of Othmann or Berard or maybe somebody else sheds expectations and becomes a legit star.

All of the top contenders except for f***ing Colorado and their 19-year rebuild have had non-lottery picks become core guys.

That might sound crazy but if I told you in June of 2019 "in 720 days, they're going to be announcing that Adam Fox won the Norris," you would have me committed. It does happen. You do hit on guys.
Considering that the av’s ended up with that pick due to ineptitude not because of anything else. Makar is a lotto pick. I think some of the hesitation was he was in the bchl and not a major junior at the time.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
If we're playing well at 5v5 and our goaltending and PP are semi-meeting expectations, then yeah, we're gonna be a real tough out.

I just kinda feel like this was the year to make a bit of a surprise run, but we did it last year, and now the expectations are just a bit too amped.

This was never a team that was going to run everyone over. I hope they're that in two years with a lot going right.
I’m not expecting 2021-22 Avalanche level domination. But I would expect we’d have a winning record at least

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Been saying that for a while, didn't expect playoffs last year, expected sneaking in this year, with the next two years the proper "window".

If we forget last year happened, then this year the surprise isn't us lacking results, it's the Devils dominating early. Instead, we have two surprises instead of just the one. I can't handle all this surprise.

Reactions: Machinehead

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We would have a winning record if we got NHL goaltending most of the year
NHL Goaltending is .906 sv% *according to brooks

I don't understand the Halak signing. He's tiny and old and we gave him $1.75M. His past 2 seasons were average at best... he only played well against us it seems.

Not signing Lindgren was a weird choice, cheaper, younger, better and a Lindgren.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even if it's below his standards, you could certainly describe Shesterkin by himself as NHL goaltending. We're 8-2-2 in those games.

Maybe Halak is just a victim of Father Time, but he's had a very good career, and I think he'll turn it around.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
NHL Goaltending is .906 sv% *according to brooks

I don't understand the Halak signing. He's tiny and old and we gave him $1.75M. His past 2 seasons were average at best... he only played well against us it seems.

Not signing Lindgren was a weird choice, cheaper, younger, better and a Lindgren.

I didn't understand that one either. I like Halak, but preferred Lindgren

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
That's factoring in every backup and every other schmoe that gets a game.

Any team not cracking .910 at even strength is the shits, even in the Wild West hockey we have today. The Rangers currently sit below that.
we're 8-2-2 with Shesty. Can't ask much more than that with how human he's looked

Games where Halak started is the issue.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Spicy pork and broccoli will be up at some point if Halak keeps falling short. He might not be any better, but he'd be cheaper if they can pawn Halak to a team looking to tank.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

This would be all well and good if there wasn’t a salary cap.

With Panarin and Mika making a combined $20M…if they can’t be the impact players that drive the team, the NYR ain’t winning much.

But this is the pickle they are in ever since they decided to “accelerate the rebuild.”

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The issue isn't Reaves honestly, he is a valuable piece to the TEAM as a whole. In saying that, his contract hurts. I understand waiving him would go over like a lead balloon but if they could pass him through waivers and shuttle him on paper to the AHL (without actually doing so) to save some $$ on the cap, that would be best.
No, respectfully, he isn’t.

He’s a glorified cheerleader making almost 2 million dollars a year on a cup hopeful cap strapped team

He does nothing on the ice. The Rangers could ice 11 forwards every game and they’d probably be better than having him on the ice.

I like him, but he’s not valuable in any sense of the word.

Name any of the recent cup winners that had this sort of guy on their team eating up cap space and playing consistently

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

He’s a glorified cheerleader making almost 2 million dollars a year on a cup hopeful cap strapped team

He does nothing on the ice. The Rangers could ice 11 forwards every game and they’d probably be better than having him on the ice.

Name any of the recent cup winners that had this sort of guy on their team eating up cap space and playing consistently

Colorado, MacDermid

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

I could see some 11F and 7D looks during the season. Hajek and Jones splitting time on the 3rd pair. I would prefer to just play Jones, but Gallant isn't there yet. Would give some injury insurance, but would also be more taxing on the forwards with someone needing to double shift each game.

Ideally, Reaves gets moved out in any deal at the deadline as a way to balance the cap. He served his purpose here. The kids aren't inexperienced anymore and there are other vets that can help them.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
HFBoards and the issue is always the guy on the 4th line that's the fly in the ointment, the reason we suck, the cap hit that we can't overcome. Reaves. Glass. Howden. McKegg. Whoever.

If that would really be our biggest issue we'd have nothing to worry about.
Our top players don't or can't impose their will against stiff competition. Nothing else matters if they are having JAG games against the Colorado's and Bostons of the world.

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad