Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
ANother game where Reaves leads Rangers on hits, now draws an important PP after laying out McD in the offensive zone, gets the decision in the ensuing fight. No worth on this team??

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
ANother game where Reaves leads Rangers on hits, now draws an important PP after laying out McD in the offensive zone, gets the decision in the ensuing fight. No worth on this team??
Hw didn't draw the PP it was a high stick on Blais that drew the PP. Reaves watched his teammates get punched and man handled all game and only fought because Jeannot decided too. Last year I watched deslauriers jump someone who took liberties on a team mate. He didn't wait for an invitation he said you abuse my team mates you are fighting me. After that fight the crap the other team was pulling came to a screeching halt. Thats doing your job. Reaves doesn't do that anymore. He is useless.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hw didn't draw the PP it was a high stick on Blais that drew the PP. Reaves watched his teammates get punched and man handled all game and only fought because Jeannot decided too. Last year I watched deslauriers jump someone who took liberties on a team mate. He didn't wait for an invitation he said you abuse my team mates you are fighting me. After that fight the crap the other team was pulling came to a screeching halt. Thats doing your job. Reaves doesn't do that anymore. He is useless.
Why can’t they develop their own tough guy. someone with some future in the organization.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I agree he has a spot here but it would be nice if he could get a little faster. He has a hard time catching people and that hit on McDonagh could have been hitting from behind, if he was a little quicker he'd be more effective

Reactions: Avery16

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
So I’m pretty sure every single PP2 opportunity this year has ended with the puck bouncing over Trouba’s stick and out of the zone. His pass reception rate must be under 10% on the PP. I’d prefer Miller, Schneider, Jones, and even Lindgren back there on PP2. Please make a change Gallant.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I wouldn’t say Reaves is useless but he certainly profiles as the 13F now. And I totally agree we need a better response when opponents take liberties. I would prefer that wasn’t how things had to be done in a professional, officiated sports league. But here we are losing players to head injuries from cheap shots every few games.

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I wouldn’t say Reaves is useless but he certainly profiles as the 13F now. And I totally agree we need a better response when opponents take liberties. I would prefer that wasn’t how things had to be done in a professional, officiated sports league. But here we are losing players to head injuries from cheap shots every few games.
I actually like Reaves, but I’m not a big fan of older enforcers living off their reputation. I didn’t really get that feeling from him last year. I do this year. I don’t want to say he’s turning into NYR version of Donald Brashear, but the thought has crossed my mind. I’d much prefer a younger guy whose still trying to develop a reputation.

Reaves also looks a step slower to me, but maybe it’s my imagination. He just doesn’t seem to get in quick enough on the forecheck. Not that he was fleet of foot to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I actually like Reaves, but I’m not a big fan of older enforcers living off their reputation. I didn’t really get that feeling from him last year. I do this year. I don’t want to say he’s turning into NYR version of Donald Brashear, but the thought has crossed my mind. I’d much prefer a younger guy whose still trying to develop a reputation.

Reaves also looks a step slower to me, but maybe it’s my imagination. He just doesn’t seem to get in quick enough on the forecheck. Not that he was fleet of foot to start with.
Yeah. He has been objectively poor. I think he still has a chance to turn it around. But he looks cooked right now.

Reactions: Kords

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah. He has been objectively poor. I think he still has a chance to turn it around. But he looks cooked right now.
Yea, I could really do without the 3 arranged fights with other enforcers for the year. It starts to feel less like a deterrent and more like a gimmick. I’d like to see him try to stir the pot a bit when the team is playing like they’re in a coma. I can’t recall him doing that lately.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yea, I could really do without the 3 arranged fights with other enforcers for the year. It starts to feel less like a deterrent and more like a gimmick. I’d like to see him try to stir the pot a bit when the team is playing like they’re in a coma. I can’t recall him doing that lately.
Yep. If he’s hitting and keeping the puck in the opponent’s end, he is valuable. Because if he’s doing that he can stay on the ice. If he stays on the ice he can actually be a deterrent. Or at least an avenger. Cant do that from the bench.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
So I’m pretty sure every single PP2 opportunity this year has ended with the puck bouncing over Trouba’s stick and out of the zone. His pass reception rate must be under 10% on the PP. I’d prefer Miller, Schneider, Jones, and even Lindgren back there on PP2. Please make a change Gallant.
Plus he takes forever releasing a shot....has to coddle it first before he shoots .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Reaves is useful having around for some games . The big problem is Turk expects him to play a regular shift which is not meant to be anymore. With all the kids up front like KK / Laf / Kravs and even Gauthier , I'm sure they would all love playing a few extra shifts in lieu of Reaves being on the bench and spotted in as needed . It would be the best solution for the whole team I would think . Things get rough...Reaves gets a shift . Game gets faster with the kids doubling down .....win win for the whole team .

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The issue isn't Reaves honestly, he is a valuable piece to the TEAM as a whole. In saying that, his contract hurts. I understand waiving him would go over like a lead balloon but if they could pass him through waivers and shuttle him on paper to the AHL (without actually doing so) to save some $$ on the cap, that would be best.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I have always been a Reaves guy but it's hard to argue with this. 1.75 mil is better used as deadline cap space. The Rangers have plenty of guys who can fight if needed. Trouba, Goodrow, Schneider, even Kreider will drop them if it needs to be done. I don't think he'll be released or waived or anything like that but if the Rangers can move him for a pick they definitely should

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This team never should have been in the ECF.

Like, I'm sorry, but sometimes you need to hear the truth. They beat Pittsburgh in a series Pittsburgh utterly dominated at 5v5 (payback for 2008). The roster was very flawed. It still is. That's not their fault. They're waiting on a crippling cap situation to change like everyone else.

Despite their limitations in the market (again, not their fault), this team has actually made some significant steps to improve just using what they have control over.

But now, they're around .500 (deserve to be better) in a no-cap-space league where everyone and his wife is .500, and the improvements aren't good enough because ECF became the minimum.

Winning two rounds isn't the the minimum for anybody in this league.

I really think some people need to give this team a break.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Issue is that Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad are all at their peak right now.

I'm sure there will be more opportunities to improve the roster over the next couple years, and Kreider and Trouba will almost certainly be moved sooner or later. but if our two best forwards start to decline, that's a major blow to this team's chances.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Issue is that Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad are all at their peak right now.

I'm sure there will be more opportunities to improve the roster over the next couple years, and Kreider and Trouba will almost certainly be moved sooner or later. but if our two best forwards start to decline, that's a major blow to this team's chances.
I mean, yeah, they probably have as long as their best guys last.

I think that's true for every team and I don't think there's a short-term solution to it.

I've said from the beginning that there's going to be a second retool and hopefully a second window.

It's at that point that Kakko and Lafreniere are going to need to be more than role players or dealt for guys who will be more than role players.

Reactions: Fitzy

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm also holding out hope that one of Othmann or Berard or maybe somebody else sheds expectations and becomes a legit star.

All of the top contenders except for f***ing Colorado and their 19-year rebuild have had non-lottery picks become core guys.

That might sound crazy but if I told you in June of 2019 "in 720 days, they're going to be announcing that Adam Fox won the Norris," you would have me committed. It does happen. You do hit on guys.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This team never should have been in the ECF.

Like, I'm sorry, but sometimes you need to hear the truth. They beat Pittsburgh in a series Pittsburgh utterly dominated at 5v5 (payback for 2008). The roster was very flawed. It still is. That's not their fault. They're waiting on a crippling cap situation to change like everyone else.

Despite their limitations in the market (again, not their fault), this team has actually made some significant steps to improve just using what they have control over.

But now, they're around .500 (deserve to be better) in a no-cap-space league where everyone and his wife is .500, and the improvements aren't good enough because ECF became the minimum.

All the Rangers need to do is get into the playoffs. I don't care how or why or what seed they are. I like our chances in 7 games against any team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad