Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If Larkin is potentially availible then he is the player I'd want most even before Meier. ROR is past his prime and is likely a rental, but if the Leafs grab a younger player like Larkin or Meier it's likely they will extend them.

How could the Leafs even fathom fitting another 9m+ cap hit forward on the team with term? There’s already a lot of roster spots to fill for next season with very limited cap.
We are 16 days away from the deadline almost nobody is parting with "what's needed." and the 2 teams that did got bargains.

If you part with "what's needed" right now It's a 1st, 3rd and 4th for a guy like Gavirkov.

No you don't pay today's prices.

It's like buying a video game, you buy that game day 1 you pay 70$ American or 90$ in Canada.

But if you wait a month that game is now 30$.

You don't pay day 1 prices and you don't pay the price 2 weeks from the deadline

Armstrong isn’t really the type to panic. It’s generally why I don’t see any way ROR returns less than a 1st. It’s reported that they started talking numbers for an extension after the new year.

While I could see the level of prospect coming down, I don’t really see him coming down off his pick demands.

I also think with our current roster construction there’s a chance that he’s more so shopping most of the guys left to see if it’s even worth it to dump the UFAs. Unless somehow we move guys with term which seems pretty unlikely giving their NTCs we’ll still have a fairly competitive team next season without any of the UFAs. I don’t imagine he’d be too upset if things aren’t up to par with what he’s expecting to walk ROR through the deadline and see if they can’t get to a number and more importantly term that works for both of them.

I know the whole bad asset management etc to let guys walk for free. But in reality our forward pools outlook going forward looks very strong. Snuggerud has turned into essentially an A grade prospect and Bolduc looks like he’s going to provide scoring in the next year or two to the NHL club. Thomas and Kyrou aren’t going anywhere, and Neighbors showed in his second appearance with the big club he can hang and is able to play in a bottom 6 role if that’s what’s needed. Add in Buchnevich who is signed for two more seasons and I’m sure unless things go way south they plan on keeping him around a while and Schenn who will likely transition into a 3rd line center in the next couple of seasons and you essentially have 7 out of a top 9 who are extremely good bets to be top 9 players with 3 being definite. things do change with prospects yes I know but you’re really only banking on one of Snuggerud and Bolduc to live up to the expectations to have a good shot at becoming competitive offensively with alot of team control.

But I guess the point being is losing out on a 2nd round pick or a B grade prospect isn’t the end of the world. Id imagine that’s why Skinner was the prospect in the Tarasenko trade and not someone better as most of us had hoped. I can’t imagine Armstrong being to upset about leaving a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a middling prospect on the table if he’s not receiving the offers he’d like on ROR, or Barbashev. Off-topic, but I’d be more surprised if Acciari was traded as opposed to being extended.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
For the record, that Blue Taco guy is not a regular Blues poster. Probably some kid who googled “NHL trade rumors” and accidentally ended up here :laugh:

Not a kid, he used to post under Colt55 and seems to make a new username every season, or something like that.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
How could the Leafs even fathom fitting another 9m+ cap hit forward on the team with term? There’s already a lot of roster spots to fill for next season with very limited cap.

Armstrong isn’t really the type to panic. It’s generally why I don’t see any way ROR returns less than a 1st. It’s reported that they started talking numbers for an extension after the new year.

While I could see the level of prospect coming down, I don’t really see him coming down off his pick demands.

I also think with our current roster construction there’s a chance that he’s more so shopping most of the guys left to see if it’s even worth it to dump the UFAs. Unless somehow we move guys with term which seems pretty unlikely giving their NTCs we’ll still have a fairly competitive team next season without any of the UFAs. I don’t imagine he’d be too upset if things aren’t up to par with what he’s expecting to walk ROR through the deadline and see if they can’t get to a number and more importantly term that works for both of them.

I know the whole bad asset management etc to let guys walk for free. But in reality our forward pools outlook going forward looks very strong. Snuggerud has turned into essentially an A grade prospect and Bolduc looks like he’s going to provide scoring in the next year or two to the NHL club. Thomas and Kyrou aren’t going anywhere, and Neighbors showed in his second appearance with the big club he can hang and is able to play in a bottom 6 role if that’s what’s needed. Add in Buchnevich who is signed for two more seasons and I’m sure unless things go way south they plan on keeping him around a while and Schenn who will likely transition into a 3rd line center in the next couple of seasons and you essentially have 7 out of a top 9 who are extremely good bets to be top 9 players with 3 being definite. things do change with prospects yes I know but you’re really only banking on one of Snuggerud and Bolduc to live up to the expectations to have a good shot at becoming competitive offensively with alot of team control.

But I guess the point being is losing out on a 2nd round pick or a B grade prospect isn’t the end of the world. Id imagine that’s why Skinner was the prospect in the Tarasenko trade and not someone better as most of us had hoped. I can’t imagine Armstrong being to upset about leaving a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a middling prospect on the table if he’s not receiving the offers he’d like on ROR, or Barbashev. Off-topic, but I’d be more surprised if Acciari was traded as opposed to being extended.
We could fit Meier or Larkin. Wouldn't be easy but is absolutely doable.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Another day, another thread with Leafs fans chasing a name instead of a need.
actually us leafs fans in the know want no parts of ror. Don't want him in a room. We don't want him even for free. We have other needs to fill and there are better character people available

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Leaf fans that don't want ROR don't have a clue and need to get educated
Wow. There's a persuasive argument if ever I've heard one.

I wouldn't want ROR because hes an older player who has had a poor, injury-riddled season. I'm also concerned about the Leafs bargaining for Foligno 2.0.

Then there's the suggestion that the Blues would want a lot in exchange -- perhaps even a first-round pick.

I guess I'd better "get educated."

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I wouldn't want ROR because hes an older player who has had a poor, injury-riddled season. I'm also concerned about the Leafs bargaining for Foligno 2.0.

Then there's the suggestion that the Blues would want a lot in exchange -- perhaps even a first-round pick.

Yes I agree you should get educated, because you are talking about a player that's been in every situation this team could possibly see.

You are talking about a player that has proven to be elite defensively and can shut down Point allowing Matthews and Tavares to do their jobs.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Everyone has their opinion and that's fine but c'mon.... if ROR gets traded everyone knows the return starts with a 1st round pick... there is no "perhaps"

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
We could fit Meier or Larkin. Wouldn't be easy but is absolutely doable.
Any team can fit anyone / any contract (s) they want.
It would just rape their depth and get hosed on dumping players to make it work .
My Devils “could “ add 40 mil in cap by adding Karlsson , Kane , Toews , Meier.
We “just “ have to move Hamilton , Hughes , Palat , Nico , Bratt and we will be good ……
Leafs would have to move Nylander or Brodie and Murray then run with a bottom 6 of 5 ELC and two rookies on D and a rookie or league minimum backup . No problem !
But apparently the Leafs are adding Meier , Larkin , ROR , Kane ,

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Everyone has their opinion and that's fine but c'mon.... if ROR gets traded everyone knows the return starts with a 1st round pick... there is no "perhaps"

I'd agree. The price for ROR should be around what it was for Tarasenko.

Tank and a bonus capable defender got a 1st+3rd+prospect.

So somewhere around a 1st round pick should absolutely be what STL is expecting.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Any team can fit anyone / any contract (s) they want.
It would just rape their depth and get hosed on dumping players to make it work .
My Devils “could “ add 40 mil in cap by adding Karlsson , Kane , Toews , Meier.
We “just “ have to move Hamilton , Hughes , Palat , Nico , Bratt and we will be good ……
Leafs would have to move Nylander or Brodie and Murray then run with a bottom 6 of 5 ELC and two rookies on D and a rookie or league minimum backup . No problem !
But apparently the Leafs are adding Meier , Larkin , ROR , Kane ,

Nobody has ever said they are adding all those players, but they could add any of those players and should be interested in all of them.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m still very confused why ROR breaking his foot blocking a shot qualifies him STILL as having an injury-riddled or being still in the same light as a Foligno 2.0. I get the concern. But that’s very drastic of comparisons and jumping to conclusions. He’s looked fresh and pretty good the past two games. Still not seeing how he’s skating with a cane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad