Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People say Toronto needs a top 6 winger and they aren't wrong that's why if they went out and got Tank from the Blues you wouldn't see me complain one bit the thought of Tank with Matthews and Marner or Matthews and Nylander is something that would be fun to watch.

That being said if the Leafs are going to pay the big price for a Blue, as fun as Tank would be and make no mistake I would be all for it.

ROR kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

ROR could be the #2 center on the Leafs and it allow them to move Tavares to the wing and solve the wing issue.

It would allow the Leafs a ton of options.

They could run Tavares Matthews Marner

Or Tavares Matthews Nylander

Or Tavares ROR Marner

and then If you ever needed to you could always run a 3 headed monster of Matthews Tavares ROR down the middle should the situation call for It during a game.

I think ROR is the guy to target because it creates so many options.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
If you ask Blues fans, we think if they trade one and keep one they will try to keep ROR.

What actually happens is wide open. It's similar to Tarasenko where ROR would be one of the more coveted additions and it starts with a 1st. Probably similar prices. 1st + additional piece. The additional piece would ideally be a 2d or a solid depth prospect.

The Blues would almost certainly retain 50% if they move ROR since his base salary is 1M and eating 50% of the remaining amount at the deadline is about 125K.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Would do this in a heartbeat, would trade quite a lot as well. What are blues fans looking for, picks, prospects, young players?
We don't really have an idea of what specifically we'd target. When we traded Stastny and Shattenkirk, it was essentially 1st + prospect that was ready or near ready, so I imagine it would be similar to that. I think Army is probably going to wait and see this team more to determine if it's a relative quick re-tool, or if it needs a big bigger of a project.

Besides, a dream scenario of Knies refusing to sign because he wants to play with his buddy Snuggs, I don't really care what a deadline deal looks like to be honest. And obviously Knies won't happen.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We don't really have an idea of what specifically we'd target. When we traded Stastny and Shattenkirk, it was essentially 1st + prospect that was ready or near ready, so I imagine it would be similar to that. I think Army is probably going to wait and see this team more to determine if it's a relative quick re-tool, or if it needs a big bigger of a project.

Besides, a dream scenario of Knies refusing to sign because he wants to play with his buddy Snuggs, I don't really care what a deadline deal looks like to be honest. And obviously Knies won't happen.

If ROR is on the table he might

Reactions: Blueston

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Problem is that Leafs doesn't really have a prospect pool and they don't have a second in the upcoming draft. So has to be 23 1st and 24 2nd or something. Unless they are willing to trade Sandin.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Problem is that Leafs doesn't really have a prospect pool and they don't have a second in the upcoming draft. So has to be 23 1st and 24 2nd or something. Unless they are willing to trade Sandin.
If ROR is on the market then several teams will be interested. With Toronto it's a 1st or Knies as the main piece, I would guess the Leafs would keep Knies and offer up the 1st. I'd take a 1st + 2d. Not expecting much more from a secondary piece than either a 2d or decent roster depth prospect.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If ROR is on the market then several teams will be interested. With Toronto it's a 1st or Knies as the main piece, I would guess the Leafs would keep Knies and offer up the 1st. I'd take a 1st + 2d. Not expecting much more from a secondary piece than either a 2d or decent roster depth prospect.

I think other teams will offer more tbh but maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
ROR makes a lot of sense. He's elite defensively, can be used on the PK, can move up and down the lineup if there is injuries or we just want to spread out the offence. I'd prefer to keep him at C, put him on line 3 and acquire another legitimate player for him to play with. Similar style to what Pittsburgh did, they had Sid/Geno/Kessel all carrying their own lines. That 3rd line was basically another 2nd line, having that kind of depth come playoff time would be huge.

I'd love to add ROR, what would Blues fans want in return ?

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

As a Blues fan, I would much rather have a young roster player on a good contract than a first rounder at the end of the round. I don't know a ton about the Leafs' young guys, but Sandin is the piece that looks most attractive to me. From what I've read on here, I'm guessing Leafs fans aren't too eager to give him up. And I'm not sure Liljegren is enticing enough, but I know very little about him.

The Blues are light on D prospects, so that would be my top priority if we end up moving Tarasenko and/or ROR.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, fans will want to discuss sexy prospects like a 1st+Knies offer, but ultimately it would be a Sanford or Foley. Someone projected to play games, but not a huge part. I remember a lot of us were hoping for Vrana. If we could get Knies as the main piece, that would be ideal, would definitely fit Army's target of more of a quick retool and keep the new core age around Thomas and Kyrou, instead of a rebuild where the Thomas/Kyrou would almost age out of the next core.

But, I'm expecting deals to basically be 1st+conditional pick+prospect projected to play games. No point in getting eyes set on any specific prospect. We did that when all the deals for an extended Shattenkirk leaked, and then we ended up with Sam Bradford.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
As a Blues fan, I would much rather have a young roster player on a good contract than a first rounder at the end of the round. I don't know a ton about the Leafs' young guys, but Sandin is the piece that looks most attractive to me. From what I've read on here, I'm guessing Leafs fans aren't too eager to give him up. And I'm not sure Liljegren is enticing enough, but I know very little about him.

The Blues are light on D prospects, so that would be my top priority if we end up moving Tarasenko and/or ROR.
Liljegren is arguably the leafs best d-man this season and wouldn’t be on the table unless a huge upgrade is available on RD.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Leafs haven't traded a single prospect in over 3 years so to say they don't have a prospect pool simply isn't true

Yes, Leafs famously have a loaded talent pool ready :eyeroll:

Yea and Leafs are also light on D prospects so unless they are willing to give up SAndin I think another team will have a better offer for the Blues.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

Youll actually find the literal opposite with most leafs fans. Liljegrin is where fans start to squeek about "untouchable" kind of thing and sandin, while turning his value around on the boards with his play, was the early season whipping boy for his hold out and fans being upset with some mistakes.

Ive always really liked them both but i certainly can agree that Liljegrin is the most valuable of the two and much more difficult to move at this point.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Youll actually find the literal opposite with most leafs fans. Liljegrin is where fans start to squeek about "untouchable" kind of thing and sandin, while turning his value around on the boards with his play, was the early season whipping boy for his hold out and fans being upset with some mistakes.

Ive always really liked them both but i certainly can agree that Liljegrin is the most valuable of the two and much more difficult to move at this point.

Well, ya learn something new every day as they say. Am I correct that before this season Sandin was considered a better prospect than Liljegren, or just imagining that?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is the kind of move the Leafs should be looking at.

They do not need a defenseman. What they need (and what they've needed for the last 2 playoff runs) is another quality forward.

A guy like ROR fits the bill. He improves the offense. He can also be used in a defensive role to subsidize Matthews/Tavares against weaker competition. It gives them a ton more options up front.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Well, ya learn something new every day as they say. Am I correct that before this season Sandin was considered a better prospect than Liljegren, or just imagining that?
No, youre 100% correct as far as HF boards is concerned. The fickle bunch here wanted to trade Liljegrin because he couldnt crack the NHL (thus was a bust) even though he was dominating all situations in the AHL as a 20 year old. Meanwhile Sandin made the jump to the NHL and showed bursts of brilliance and the usual, occasional rookie type gaff, but people were more forgiving because he was a rookie. Then when it gets to be more than his first season, with some questionable plays in the playoffs/ in crucial times and the fans threw a hissy fit about him and then he was considered the bust and during the hold out everyone started making up all these imaginary flaws about his game, assumingly to devalue him online so they could bitch about his contract.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Liljegren would be the least likely to be moved in my opinion. Both have stepped into the top 4 this year and have looked very good. Both are also physical and gritty and can play a solid 200 foot game. I don't see either availible, and especially not for a rental.

would be a great pick up for alot of teams would have to start with Knies + or a 2023 1st +
2023 1st + 2024 2nd + prospect is what it probably takes. No one gives away a prospect like knies even for a top end rental like ROR.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Liljegren would be the least likely to be moved in my opinion. Both have stepped into the top 4 this year and have looked very good. Both are also physical and gritty and can play a solid 200 foot game. I don't see either availible, and especially not for a rental.

2023 1st + 2024 2nd + prospect is what it probably takes. No one gives away a prospect like knies even for a top end rental like ROR.

That's what I thought when Tarasenko was brought up yesterday, but can't hurt to ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad