Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I’m still very confused why ROR breaking his foot blocking a shot qualifies him STILL as having an injury-riddled or being still in the same light as a Foligno 2.0. I get the concern. But that’s very drastic of comparisons and jumping to conclusions. He’s looked fresh and pretty good the past two games. Still not seeing how he’s skating with a cane.
It’s hilarious and just uneducated fans who do not want to get burned again, but don’t realize those two have never been comparable players

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
People keep saying that Dubas has said that but he hasn't actually said that, it has been said he'd prefer not to move a 1st but you could argue every team would prefer not to move a 1st
He said he would not use his first round pick on an expiring contract, and Knies is off the table. That would appear that a ROR to Toronto deal is an absolute no go.

I think what many fail to remember is that retaining salary is not a given either, and there is a cost to a club to retain salary/cap

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It’s hilarious and just uneducated fans who do not want to get burned again, but don’t realize those two have never been comparable players
tenor.gif

Reactions: EquivalentStay

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He said he would not use his first round pick on an expiring contract, and Knies is off the table. That would appear that a ROR to Toronto deal is an absolute no go.

I think what many fail to remember is that retaining salary is not a given either, and there is a cost to a club to retain salary/cap
He said he can’t see himself trading a first or a top prospect for a rental. It may have been true or it may have been his way to put it out there that the Leafs won’t be easy marks for selling teams. If he was being truthful, then I’m sure when he said it, it was true. Whether it remains true today or will remain true through the deadline has yet to be seen,

It’s not like he swore under oath “I will absolutely not, under any circumstance, trade a first round pick or a top prospect for a rental at any point before 3:00 pm EST on March 3, 2023.” It was a casual statement about the way was leaning at the moment he made it. That’s all.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He said he can’t see himself trading a first or a top prospect for a rental. It may have been true or it may have been his way to put it out there that the Leafs won’t be easy marks for selling teams. If he was being truthful, then I’m sure when he said it, it was true. Whether it remains true today or will remain true through the deadline has yet to be seen,

It’s not like he swore under oath “I will absolutely not, under any circumstance, trade a first round pick or a top prospect for a rental at any point before 3:00 pm EST on March 3, 2023.” It was a casual statement about the way was leaning at the moment he made it. That’s all.

Exactly people change their mind all the time.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Any team can fit anyone / any contract (s) they want.
It would just rape their depth and get hosed on dumping players to make it work .
My Devils “could “ add 40 mil in cap by adding Karlsson , Kane , Toews , Meier.
We “just “ have to move Hamilton , Hughes , Palat , Nico , Bratt and we will be good ……
Leafs would have to move Nylander or Brodie and Murray then run with a bottom 6 of 5 ELC and two rookies on D and a rookie or league minimum backup . No problem !
But apparently the Leafs are adding Meier , Larkin , ROR , Kane ,
Leafs either lose a combination of Murray + brodie or Murray + Bunting. They have woll who is ready to back up and they have Liljegren and Timmins a year older with more experience. Leafs can also add a 1 year term d man after game 1 when Muzzin goes on Ltir. Not easy but doable.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Yes I agree you should get educated, because you are talking about a player that's been in every situation this team could possibly see.

You are talking about a player that has proven to be elite defensively and can shut down Point allowing Matthews and Tavares to do their jobs.
we're also talking about a player who cried like a bitch in Colorado, drove his truck into a tim hortons under the influence and took off. Who cried about not being a captain... No thanks! Our room is good...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
we're also talking about a player who cried like a bitch in Colorado, drove his truck into a tim hortons under the influence and took off. Who cried about not being a captain... No thanks! Our room is good...

All that was years ago, he seems to have his shit together now bring him in.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I don't think the comparison has ever been saying the two players are the same level

It's more so the idea of paying a lot for an asset past his prime mainly due to name value. That's the concern, it applies to Patrick Kane as well

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I don't think the comparison has ever been saying the two players are the same level

It's more so the idea of paying a lot for an asset past his prime mainly due to name value. That's the concern, it applies to Patrick Kane as well
I understand the logic, but Kane is a shell of himself who could turn it on for a playoff run and probably will.

But ROR is the ultimate playoff beast. I love the Leafs. They need someone like ROR for the playoffs.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I understand the logic, but Kane is a shell of himself who could turn it on for a playoff run and probably will.

But ROR is the ultimate playoff beast. I love the Leafs. They need someone like ROR for the playoffs.
The moment they get someone like ror and start seeing their ga go down and their gf stay the same and start winning 4-2, 3-1 they will act like it was the steal of the century. Don't you leaf fans ever change. We do love you guys.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

I don't necessarily disagree, if ROR is still at the level he was last year playoffs he would be a big addition for the team. Just explaining the reasoning behind it because the person I quoted was thinking people were equating them as players. No one in their right mind should think Foligno = ROR
The moment they get someone like ror and start seeing their ga go down and their gf stay the same and start winning 4-2, 3-1 they will act like it was the steal of the century. Don't you leaf fans ever change. We do love you guys.
We already win like this but thanks for coming out

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I don't necessarily disagree, if ROR is still at the level he was last year playoffs he would be a big addition for the team. Just explaining the reasoning behind it because the person I quoted was thinking people were equating them as players. No one in their right mind should think Foligno = ROR

Not really. Good luck though.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

It’s all good. I was entering a conversation. So maybe my reply was a little out of context.

Reactions: leafsfan5

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019

Understood,
However Army has been very clear that the cost to acquire ROR is a 1st AND a top prospect.
Knies, Robertson, Topi, Minten, and Pontus, are arguably the top 5 prospects in the Leafs system.

Pontus projects as a bottom 6 player, I doubt the Blues have interest.
Topi is undersized and the Blues have their top 4 under contract for multiple years, I doubt there is interest there.
Robertson is an injury liability that hasnt been able to stick in the NHL.
Minten and obviously Knies are the prospects that you would build a trade around.

A deal involving Knies and a 1st for ROR with salary retention is likely what has been discussed.

A Deal with Minten is going to include the 1st plus other assets. The Blues have been rumored to have discussed, Villeneuve so for ROR/salary retained for a 1st, Minten and Villeneuve might be a package.

However if Toronto is going to ask to take salary back, i.e. Holl, Kerfoot, etc. That is going to increase the return from Toronto.

Reactions: blueswede22

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
ROR should cost less than Tarasenko IMO.

His production has fallen off a cliff.

A late first plus a B prospect is probably more than fair.

• Haha
Reactions: STLegend

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
Tarasenko had a NTC, so there should be more competition for ROR.
The NTC was such a huge consideration for the Tarasenko trade and why most Blues fans were okay with that return. Without the NTC Tarasenko definitely returns more.

The fans stating: "well Tarasenko returned X therefore ROR, being of similar value, will also only return X" is disingenuous. I don't think Armstrong will get his full ask for ROR, but I absolutely expect a better return than the Tarasenko trade.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If the Blues can get the value of a first and Knies from someone else then good for them they did good. Doubt they get it from Toronto.
I doubt we do, it was never realistic IMO. If situation was flipped, we'd never trade 1st+Bolduc for a rental. My hope with a Toronto trade would be 1st+Minten. And really, just get the 1st, and some sort of useful prospect.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I doubt we do, it was never realistic IMO. If situation was flipped, we'd never trade 1st+Bolduc for a rental. My hope with a Toronto trade would be 1st+Minten. And really, just get the 1st, and some sort of useful prospect.
A 1st + Minten is a pipe dream IMO. A 1st with a small add is my prediction but I think there's also some chance that you don't even get a 1st for him. Not that he's not worth it, based on historical TDL prices and the Tarasenko example I'd say a 1st+ is fair but if there are more sellers than buyers then it becomes a game of musical chairs and not everyone gets a seat. At that point you either settle for less than a 1st or keep him.

Most likely though, you'll get the 1st. Just don't ask for too big an add on top of that, that's when you risk getting left out. A 1st + Minten is a good example of a pipe dream and holding out for something like that could cost you in the end. And I don't think that the Leafs are in the market anyway, at least not until the price drops to something less than a 1st.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A 1st + Minten is a pipe dream IMO. A 1st with a small add is my prediction but I think there's also some chance that you don't even get a 1st for him. Not that he's not worth it, based on historical TDL prices and the Tarasenko example I'd say a 1st+ is fair but if there are more sellers than buyers then it becomes a game of musical chairs and not everyone gets a seat. At that point you either settle for less than a 1st or keep him.

Most likely though, you'll get the 1st. Just don't ask for too big an add on top of that, that's when you risk getting left out. A 1st + Minten is a good example of a pipe dream and holding out for something like that could cost you in the end. And I don't think that the Leafs are in the market anyway, at least not until the price drops to something less than a 1st.
Right, that's why I say that's my hope, and ultimately, as long as there is a 1st and some sort of useful prospect, I'll be happy. With all the guys we have available, we'll get a pretty decent haul for our scouts to do their work on, so I'm not really worried about it. We have good track record with late 1sts/early 2nds, so the prospect portion of the trade isn't really a big deal either way for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad