Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
ROR should cost less than Tarasenko IMO.

His production has fallen off a cliff.

A late first plus a B prospect is probably more than fair.

It's not about what's fair. It's about supply/demand. If there are 3-5 teams in on ROR which appears to be accurate, the cost to acquire will be high cause you have to outbid other teams.

Fair trade value for rentals at a deadline does not exist.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Right, that's why I say that's my hope, and ultimately, as long as there is a 1st and some sort of useful prospect, I'll be happy. With all the guys we have available, we'll get a pretty decent haul for our scouts to do their work on, so I'm not really worried about it. We have good track record with late 1sts/early 2nds, so the prospect portion of the trade isn't really a big deal either way for me.
Yeah a Minten level prospect sounds too high but I guess we'll see. I'd love to add ROR to the Leafs, he would be an amazing add but I also agree 100% with what is supposedly our plan - not trading top prospects or 1st round picks for rentals. You can't have everything, that's just life so I'm just hoping Dubas finds us a good version of ROR light or something like that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's not about what's fair. It's about supply/demand. If there are 3-5 teams in on ROR which appears to be accurate, the cost to acquire will be high cause you have to outbid other teams.

You're ignoring the fact that those same 3-5 teams are also likely interested in a bunch of other rentals and as soon as they get someone else, they're no longer in the market for ROR. And if they all get someone else, the market for ROR dries up and you have to drop the asking price or keep him.

Cliff notes: you are correct, "fair" has nothing to do with it, it's all about supply/demand.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
A 1st + Minten is a pipe dream IMO. A 1st with a small add is my prediction but I think there's also some chance that you don't even get a 1st for him. Not that he's not worth it, based on historical TDL prices and the Tarasenko example I'd say a 1st+ is fair but if there are more sellers than buyers then it becomes a game of musical chairs and not everyone gets a seat. At that point you either settle for less than a 1st or keep him.

Most likely though, you'll get the 1st. Just don't ask for too big an add on top of that, that's when you risk getting left out. A 1st + Minten is a good example of a pipe dream and holding out for something like that could cost you in the end. And I don't think that the Leafs are in the market anyway, at least not until the price drops to something less than a 1st.

Right, that's why I say that's my hope, and ultimately, as long as there is a 1st and some sort of useful prospect, I'll be happy. With all the guys we have available, we'll get a pretty decent haul for our scouts to do their work on, so I'm not really worried about it. We have good track record with late 1sts/early 2nds, so the prospect portion of the trade isn't really a big deal either way for me.

My thoughts as well. I could see the deal being something like ROR at 50% for a 1st, Villeneuve and a 4th. I could only see it being a Minten-like prospect if the Blues added in Acciari and also tossed back another mid pick, knowing they are going to get more in other trades like for Barbashev etc...

Hey I could be completely wrong. But the 1st + a top prospect doesn't seem realistic to me.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're ignoring the fact that those same 3-5 teams are also likely interested in a bunch of other rentals and as soon as they get someone else, they're no longer in the market for ROR. And if they all get someone else, the market for ROR dries up and you have to drop the asking price or keep him.

Cliff notes: you are correct, "fair" has nothing to do with it, it's all about supply/demand.

I'm not ignoring it. It's typical deadline stuff. Cost to acquire is not cheap for a ROR type player. Especially a proven center. I get it, you want him but want the trade value to work in your favor. It rarely works that way.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

We’ll see about this bidding war.

He’s not had the best health and the production has dropped.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We’ll see about this bidding war.

He’s not had the best health and the production has dropped.

I tried to talk about ROR's age, trend, and broken foot before. Both Leafs fans and Blues fans jumped me cause I said it mattered just like it does with Monahan. Fans assumed that I was saying they had the same trade value. :facepalm:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not ignoring it. It's typical deadline stuff. Cost to acquire is not cheap for a ROR type player. Especially a proven center. I get it, you want him but want the trade value to work in your favor. It rarely works that way.
You talked about a bidding war because several teams are interested but there are many other players available which makes a bidding war unlikely - that is what you ignored.

The chances of us getting ROR are near zero so what I want or don't want isn't an issue.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I tried to talk about ROR's age, trend, and broken foot before. Both Leafs fans and Blues fans jumped me cause I said it mattered just like it does with Monahan. Fans assumed that I was saying they had the same trade value. :facepalm:

It never did though because It's a broken foot and he's back from it, It's not the laundry list of injury issues Monahan has which he has only now returned to practice from

Reactions: Blueston

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yeah a Minten level prospect sounds too high but I guess we'll see. I'd love to add ROR to the Leafs, he would be an amazing add but I also agree 100% with what is supposedly our plan - not trading top prospects or 1st round picks for rentals. You can't have everything, that's just life so I'm just hoping Dubas finds us a good version of ROR light or something like that.

I’m hoping the players we have on the ice take a step forward this year. It’s time for them to do that.

No one Dubas can bring in is going to do that for them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It never did though because It's a broken foot and he's back from it, It's not the laundry list of injury issues Monahan has which he has only now returned to practice from

Nah... I was talking about the broken foot mattered. I'm not responsible for the spins where some fans think I said Monahan has the same value and is only dealing with a foot issue. Never did I say that. I said ROR's value is affected and his age/trends and broken foot matters. Some fans jumped on my back on it and it was very aggressive.

It's funny. A Leafs fans is allowed to talk about ROR's age and how he was trending and also his broken foot but a Habs fan can't cause they get jumped. Seems like girls defending girls on stupid stuff to me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m hoping the players we have on the ice take a step forward this year. It’s time for them to do that.

No one Dubas can bring in is going to do that for them
Exactly. I'd like to add bottom 6 forward or two that plays a physical game but our stars have to be ones to do the heavy lifting

Reactions: Strangle

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nah... I was talking about the broken foot mattered. I'm not responsible for the spins where some fans think I said Monahan has the same value and is only dealing with a foot issue. Never did I say that. I said ROR's value is affected and his age/trends and broken foot matters. Some fans jumped on my back on it and it was very aggressive.

It's funny. A Leafs fans is allowed to talk about ROR's age and how he was trending and also his broken foot but a Habs fan can't cause they get jumped. Seems like girls defending girls on stupid stuff to me.

Nah, I've laughed at that Leaf fan too, go back through this thread, and you tell me when my stance on his broken foot has ever changed, I bet you can't find it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, I could easily Toronto going for Barbie or Acciari.
This team certainly needs bottom 6 help too, specifically on the 4th line.

Barbashev would be better than a 4th liner obviously but he is a guy that I'm starting to think ends up here, the question is, does he come alone?

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Not sure that you need Meier. Plenty of offense already.

And if it cost Knies, then the Blues can’t have him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca