GDT: Relegation Round • Jan. 3 • United States 12, Latvia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLBarmada

This is a joke right ?

You guys are happy cause you beat Latvia 12-2 ?

If so wow.

It's great to blame the coach and all, but the Americans top players did not show up.

The players should be getting some of the blame.

Not Dean Blais, he chose the team, did he have questionable picks yes, call him out on that.

I don't see how you can fault him for playing Clenddening over Trouba when this is a 19 year old's tournament.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Did you think it was at all likely?

Clearly USA is not Canada's biggest rivals in this tournament any more. So I'm not sure what the constant booing of the US and rooting for whatever team plays it is all about.

I didn't think it was likely but a man can dream!

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This is a joke right ?

If so wow.

It's great to blame the coach and all, but the Americans top players did not show up.

Not Dean Blais, he chose the team, did he have questionable picks yes, call him out on that.

I don't see how you can fault him for playing Clenddening over Trouba when this is a 19 year old's tournament.

I find this quite funny too. :laugh:

4thliner*

Because Dean Blais wasn't paying attention to they way Watson was playing. In fact
Blais used Rau & Archibald way too much. Watson deserved top 9 minutes early on from what I saw from the Finland, Czech & Canada games. He also didn't utilize Trouba well either, continuing to use Clendening when it was beyond obvious Trouba was outperforming him by miles. Thats a coach that wasn't paying attention IMO.

It is freaking LATVIA. Who cares about how much you score when you are playing against Zanzibar. There are players that put up 9 or 10 points in ONE game against those guys in that division round robin.

I watch him in Peterborough and he is meh. He was downright terrible last year after his draft year both offensively and defensively and big reason why that team sucked.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a little-man syndrome. I never understood it and I never will.

As in the USA is the little man in hockey so we mock them?

In all seriousness, for me it has simply been a response. Americans have cheered against Canada often to the extent where they boo our anthem. I really don't care who started the trend, I'm just tired of being cheered against by Americans. As a result, I return the favor.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is a joke right ?

If so wow.

Who is happy-or is that just your way of trolling?

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
As in the USA is the little man in hockey so we mock them?

In all seriousness, for me it has simply been a response. Americans have cheered against Canada often to the extent where they boo our anthem. I really don't care who started the trend, I'm just tired of being cheered against by Americans. As a result, I return the favor.

Where has this happened?

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
Need to know what the syndrome means first before you can claim that U.S. has it. :laugh:
Kidding yourself if you think any other sport like swimming, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc is booing Canadian players on US soil at amature tourney/meets. The one sport you can get your jabs in, you all do. Sad that you don't even realize that you people aren't on anyone's radar down here

Actually, if American fans were generally more interested in junior hockey period then I don't really doubt the same thing would occur in the States. All one has to do is look at the various sports videos on the net to see booing of anthems/teams on both sides of the border in professional sporting events.

And incidentally, my take on what he said is that he's referring to bashing of Canada across the board by Americans and not a specific reference to sports only. I don't wish to get into it but let's not forget the recent shameful incidents on Fox News the day we brought home more of our dead from Afghanistan.... bashing and arrogance at its finest, so bad and so disrespectful that it enraged many Canadians and even caused the government to issue a statement. I apologize for bringing up anything political as I try not to do that in a sports forum but I merely want to point out that many Americans are completely unaware of the kind of disrespectful/bashing comments Canadians often have to deal with from Americans.

That being said, my father served in the U.S. military (a Canadian,) my boyfriend is American and I nightly spend time with American friends online so I certainly don't hate them at all but just trying to make a point since I think many Americans are just not aware of what we contend with. Thank you for considering it.

Niagara Girl

Last edited:

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
I fail to understand all whining about booing. I was at this game (I cheered for Latvia as my Great Gramma came from there) but it seemed in the lower bowl the fans were fairly evenly split. There was loud cheers for all 12 American goals. Though I will admit the cheers for Latvia's two goals were deafening.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Actually, if American fans were generally more interested in junior hockey period then I don't really doubt the same thing would occur in the States. All one has to do is look at the various sports videos on the net to see booing of anthems/teams on both sides of the border in professional sporting events.

And incidentally, my take on what he said is that he's referring to bashing of Canada across the board by Americans and not a specific reference to sports only. I don't wish to get into it but let's not forget the recent shameful incidents on Fox News the day we brought home more of our dead from Afghanistan.... bashing and arrogance at its finest, so bad and so disrespectful that it enraged many Canadians and even caused the government to issue a statement. I apologize for bringing up anything political as I try not to do that in a sports forum but I merely want to point out that many Americans are completely unaware of the kind of disrespectful/bashing comments Canadians often have to deal with from Americans.

That being said, my father served in the U.S. military (a Canadian,) my boyfriend is American and I nightly spend time with American friends online so I certainly don't hate them at all but just trying to make a point since I think many Americans are just not aware of what we contend with. Thank you for considering it.

Niagara Girl

Really got to love the holier-than-thou attitude. I used to live in Toronto and making fun of the US seemed like a national sport and I don't mean in a humorous way. I'm glad you don't hate them all though, quite the evolved human being you must be.

BobDobolina.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It is freaking LATVIA. Who cares about how much you score when you are playing against Zanzibar.
If Latvia is Zanzibar, how would you call Austria, UK, France, Ukraine, Estonia or Iceland?

You should be a little more respectful against a team that ranks 8-12 among 40-50 NTs. Just shows how arrogant and narrow-minded you are.

NiagaraGirl

Really got to love the holier-than-thou attitude. I used to live in Toronto and making fun of the US seemed like a national sport and I don't mean in a humorous way. I'm glad you don't hate them all though, quite the evolved human being you must be.

BobDobolina.

I said "at all", not "all." And my comment was not meant in a holier-than-thou way but take it as you will BobDob. :)

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
Need to know what the syndrome means first before you can claim that U.S. has it. :laugh:
Kidding yourself if you think any other sport like swimming, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc is booing Canadian players on US soil at amature tourney/meets. The one sport you can get your jabs in, you all do. Sad that you don't even realize that you people aren't on anyone's radar down here

I think it goes beyond just sport. Many American TV commentators, on Fox in particular, take great delight in denigrating Canada in a variety of ways. The most outrageous being that of our military. Many of these personalities don't even know we have been at America's side in Afghanistan for the past 9 years and have lost 157 heroes. This kind of thing, even if it is my a slim minority of Americans, causes many here to get upset.
There are still Americans who claim the 9/11 hijackers came from Canada for petes sake. I guess it is ignorance and misconceptions so many Americans have about our country which many find so upsetting.

Last edited:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I think it goes beyond just sport. Many American TV commentators, on Fox in particular, take great delight in denigrating Canada in a variety of ways. The most outrageous being that of our military. Many of these personalities don't even know we have been at America's side in Afghanistan for the past 9 years and have lost 157 heroes. This kind of thing, even if it is my a slim minority of Americans, causes many here to get upset.

FOX? Really you are getting upset about FOX? If you haven't noticed they say outrageous thing about a lot of stuff to get attention. Canada is very irrelevant here for the most part.

NiagaraGirl

If Latvia is Zanzibar, how would you call Austria, UK, France, Ukraine, Estonia or Iceland?

You should be a little more respectful against a team that ranks 8-12 among 40-50 NTs. Just shows how arrogant and narrow-minded you are.

I didn't have a chance to see this game today and I wanted to. Honestly, I give a lot of credit to the contenders that are in the tournament and are doing their best even though they might not yet have a lot of experience. I know it's got to take guts to be out there when you are up against some very experienced teams! Much respect from this Canadian fan for Team Latvia and Team Denmark both for coming out and trying hard! ;)

Mara

May 10, 2011
FOX? Really you are getting upset about FOX? If you haven't noticed they say outrageous thing about a lot of stuff to get attention. Canada is very irrelevant here for the most part.

Just like every other country in the world. :laugh: The US itself seems to be quite irrelevant since many Americans can't even point it on the map.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

I think both sides of the border could do with some rethinking. Both our countries need each other, and to think any differently is to be ignorant and close minded.

Indeed. I doubt tourists from overseas see even much of a difference. Same **** with a different name and flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad