GDT: Relegation Round • Jan. 3 • United States 12, Latvia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
One of teams I played on smoked another team terrible. We were young so we would sarcastically celebrate after each goal. The coach got pissed and told us no more celebrating, so instead of celebrating we decided to all skate as fast as we could to get in position at the center ice dot. Funny as hell when you see 5 guys busting it to get back to take a faceoff. Would like to see USA try this.

FanHabtic*

Ironically, the US players may lead the tournament in scoring as a result of playing these relegation games! They might run the table on the first-team all-star. lol

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Not sure why everyone hates on this team USA so much. They really aren't that bad. They just ran into the two best goalies of the tournament, Aittokallio and Mrazek.

**** happens, doesn't mean the team was bad. And don't give me the "missing their best players" **** cause everyone was missing their best players.

This team was fine and could have easily medalled, just couldn't get it done. Personally I'm glad to see such a good team in the relegation round. Makes it look like the juniors might actually be getting competitive. Although obviously I wish it was a different team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not sure why everyone hates on this team USA so much. They really aren't that bad. They just ran into the two best goalies of the tournament, Aittokallio and Mrazek.

**** happens, doesn't mean the team was bad. And don't give me the "missing their best players" **** cause everyone was missing their best players.

This team was fine and could have easily medalled, just couldn't get it done. Personally I'm glad to see such a good team in the relegation round. Makes it look like the juniors might actually be getting competitive. Although obviously I wish it was a different team.

No. They were terrible. Half the team showed up to each game (usually the same players), while the other half just didn't care. It was a horrible, horrible year. It's a great thing that the vast majority of these guys cannot come back.

FanHabtic*

There was one year (1992) when Canada fielded a team the included Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros and Scott Niedermeyer and finished 6th out of 8 teams.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
No. They were terrible. Half the team showed up to each game (usually the same players), while the other half just didn't care. It was a horrible, horrible year. It's a great thing that the vast majority of these guys cannot come back.

Playing games that go down to the final minutes against big hockey countries such as Canada, Finland, and the Czech Republic is "terrible"?

Riiiight. Sure they probably should have pulled out at least 1 win out of those games, but that still isn't "terrible".

We had a tough group, with even tougher goalies. Poor luck is all it was, even if some players should have played better.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I can't disagree that this was a disappointing year. The tough pill to swallow is a better period (each) against the Finns, Czechs, and Canadians and it would be a completely differant story. They handidly outshot the Finns and Czechs (in particular) and was right there with the Canadians.

Last edited:

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I'm shocked how poorly Etem continues to play in the WJC. He dominates the WHL with almost a goal a game and has done nothing but take out Wedgewood to date.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I can't disagree that this was a disappointing year. The tough pill to swallow is a better period (each) against the Finns, Czechs, and Canadians and it would be a completely differant story. They handidly outshot the Finns and Czechs (in particular) and was right there with the Canadians.

Next year will be really interesting. Entire new team. Exciting to see it blown up, kind of. I like the guys that are coming back.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Playing games that go down to the final minutes against big hockey countries such as Canada, Finland, and the Czech Republic is "terrible"?

Riiiight. Sure they probably should have pulled out at least 1 win out of those games, but that still isn't "terrible".

We had a tough group, with even tougher goalies. Poor luck is all it was, even if some players should have played better.

Yeah, no. The US should have won every game they played except for the Canada game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad