GDT: Relegation Round • Jan. 3 • United States 12, Latvia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
FOX? Really you are getting upset about FOX? If you haven't noticed they say outrageous thing about a lot of stuff to get attention. Canada is very irrelevant here for the most part.

It shouldn't be if only for the fact that Canada provides the U.S. with more oil than any other country.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
It shouldn't be if only for the fact that Canada provides the U.S. with more oil than any other country.

I didn't mean it like that at all. I meant in terms of supposed "anti-Canada" attitudes some posters were claiming many Americans possess, I just never see it.

4thliner*

If Latvia is Zanzibar, how would you call Austria, UK, France, Ukraine, Estonia or Iceland?

You should be a little more respectful against a team that ranks 8-12 among 40-50 NTs. Just shows how arrogant and narrow-minded you are.

Dude what I am saying is there is a HUGe gap here between the haves and have nots. That is all.

A game vs Latvia and one against Zanzibar would have the same outcome as long as the Zanzibars know how to skate that is :naughty:

I mean Canada won't have enough time or drive to score more than 18-19 goals in that game no matter which of the 2. I suspect the laughter and or the traffic of players falling all over the ice would slow Canada passing game down more..no?

:naughty:

Enjoy the WJC

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Woohooo congratulations U S A, that's 2 wins this tournament Latvia and Denmark. I knew you guys could win some games. Good job just build on this experience for next year.

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
As in the USA is the little man in hockey so we mock them?

In all seriousness, for me it has simply been a response. Americans have cheered against Canada often to the extent where they boo our anthem. I really don't care who started the trend, I'm just tired of being cheered against by Americans. As a result, I return the favor.

Oh c'mon no one does that...I have not seen that in any situation. If anything I have seen some American fans singing along with the Canadian anthem. You guys may hate us, but MOST Americans don't dislike Canada.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh c'mon no one does that...I have not seen that in any situation. If anything I have seen some American fans singing along with the Canadian anthem. You guys may hate us, but MOST Americans don't dislike Canada.
????
color%20guard%20flag.jpg

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
As in the USA is the little man in hockey so we mock them?

In all seriousness, for me it has simply been a response. Americans have cheered against Canada often to the extent where they boo our anthem. I really don't care who started the trend, I'm just tired of being cheered against by Americans. As a result, I return the favor.

i have never seen this.. i have seen canadians boo and/or make noise and obscene comments during the American anthem, but never the other way around. it really all just proves that we don't care as much as the canadians about this "rivalry" because we have a lot more going on here than in canada where (as i have said before on here) you have hockey, maple syrup, and a moose or 2.

it really is all relative and consequential, though. toronto fans are some of my favorite that come watch games here.

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
Gentlemen, all you have to do is browse the web (particularly Youtube) to see videos of fans on both sides of the border booing each other's anthems at sporting events. If you don't believe me, simply go look. It's easy enough to check.

And honestly, if you don't normally come into contact too much with Canadians then I'm sure you wouldn't be aware much of this other stuff we're referencing. I live right on the border and I am back and forth frequently and have grown up here all my life in a huge tourist industry that caters mostly to Americans so I've had a lifelong exposure to it, as have many Canadians. On the other hand, I know many Americans who live more towards the interior of the U.S. who have very little experience with Canadians other than meeting them online once in awhile so of course they aren't as aware of such things unless they've ever had a specific discussion about it with Canadian friends.

If you really doubt us, there are plenty of examples of it but I really don't think you would be pleased for us to start posting them. ;) But I assure you that it is definitely not one way although you may understandably think that if you aren't aware of things.

Last edited:

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
This. It is sad that there are Americans on here thinking the hate only goes one way.

We don't hate Canada, at worst Americans feel indifferent towards Canada. With all the war and terrorism that has went on in America in the past 15 years, people around me (in NY, and I'm 17 so this is more of people around my age) consider Canada one of the few allies that we have.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We don't hate Canada, at worst Americans feel indifferent towards Canada. With all the war and terrorism that has went on in America in the past 15 years, people around me (in NY, and I'm 17 so this is more of people around my age) consider Canada one of the few allies that we have.
Oh lets keep it light for goodness sake. It's only sport, people that get too emotional need to toughen up. Don't let hurt feelings in sport cloud your mind.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Dude what I am saying is there is a HUGe gap here between the haves and have nots. That is all.

A game vs Latvia and one against Zanzibar would have the same outcome as long as the Zanzibars know how to skate that is :naughty:

I mean Canada won't have enough time or drive to score more than 18-19 goals in that game no matter which of the 2. I suspect the laughter and or the traffic of players falling all over the ice would slow Canada passing game down more..no?

:naughty:

Enjoy the WJC

The amusing thing is Zanzibar no longer exists as a country. It became Tanzania in 1964. However, Tanzania has produced a NHL player, Chris Nielsen who played 52 games with Columbus, this is more than can be said for many of the teams in the IIHF.

But comparing Latvia to Tanzania is ridiculous. It would be like comparing the USA to Swaziland in rugby. Considering the Latvians actually qualify for the Olympics in hockey and have produced many, many NHL players, this comparison is crazy.

I will concede that the Latvians generally are overmatched at the WJCs. But you do have to remember that to even be here last year they had to win the Division I tournament to get in. They scored 21 goals and gave up 3 in 5 games, outclassing Belarus, Ukraine, Italy, Japan and Great Britain. I seem to recall Belarus finishing fourth at the 2002 Olympics and Italy and Japan being consistently in the World Championship. The Ukraine generally had a few players on the great Soviet teams of the 80s. In fact, even Great Britain won Olympic medals in the 1930s (however, it really was a Canada II). So all those countries do have hockey pedigrees.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Close your eyes, plug your ears. Just keep on pretending.

Pretend what? I've seen plenty of USA v. Canada matches and Americans just don't care enough about Canada to boo them. I don't see what the issue is here. It's some weird, one-way hate coming from y'all. I mean, if y'all want to boo, go ahead. Just don't get pissed when we call you out on it and try and make up lies to cover it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad