GDT: Release the Andersson! Flames vs. Wings 11/9/2017, 7:00 PM MT

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Feels good seeing Ferland hitting his stride and felling on the top line. Most of us have seen the skill and just wanted the confidence to go with it and now we’re seeing it. Also feels good to see him show the doubters (MM) wrong.

Personally, I wish he’d hit more but if it meant sacrificing the offense I guess I can live without it.

Yea I never understood the Ferland hate from guys like MM and Baxter. He's been fantastic. Exactly what Gaudreau needed to get going - you'll notice that Johnny's last 2 goals (with a goalie in the net) Ferland supplied perfect screens on both. Since being paired with Johnny, he's got something like 16g in 39gp which is like a 34 goal pace.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Man, I missed a good one :( so happy for both Jankowski and Jagr, must be a great feeling for them both. Also happy my boy Kulak picked up a few points on the night too.

Reactions: Pomee and TychoFan

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Awww man, I had a really good day yesterday, shame I missed this game. Very happy for Bennett, Jankowski and Jagr to get their "firsts" of some sort. How did Andersson look in his debut?

Reactions: Pomee

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Awww man, I had a really good day yesterday, shame I missed this game. Very happy for Bennett, Jankowski and Jagr to get their "firsts" of some sort. How did Andersson look in his debut?

I really liked what I saw. He was solid in his own, he moved the puck up the ice well and generated some good shots on the net from the blue line. Definitely an upgrade over Bartowski, he’s gonna be a player for us.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I remember when people were criticizing Bob Hartley about playing Ferland up the lineup and Bob said that Ferland had All Star upside.
He's played like an All-Star after a bit of a slow start. 2nd best player on that line the last six games or so, absolutely dominant.
Why do you hate Monahan lol. I love ferly as much as anyone but he can't hold a candle to money

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yea I never understood the Ferland hate from guys like MM and Baxter. He's been fantastic. Exactly what Gaudreau needed to get going - you'll notice that Johnny's last 2 goals (with a goalie in the net) Ferland supplied perfect screens on both. Since being paired with Johnny, he's got something like 16g in 39gp which is like a 34 goal pace.
You need to learn the definition of hate. No one hates Ferland. We simply think is better suited for a different role and don't think he is some kind of greek god like you do. A good 5-10 games doesn't change that. We will gladly admit that Ferland is capable of being in the top 6 for short periods of time.... that is until he forgets the type of player he needs to be to be successful and then tries being too cute with the puck rather than the player that makes him a good player. Until Ferland can put together multiple good months in a row, that opinion will not change.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Its not hate I just don't think he should be playing in the top 6.

Even this supposed great goal tonight was in large part to the terrible defense from Detroit more than him having some great moves.

I have no issue with Ferland being in the bottom 6 (preferably 4th line energy role) but he doesn't have nearly the skill to be in a top 6 role.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Always a good morning when you can wake up and see Johnny Gaudreau alone in third in league scoring. He's on pace for 82 assists! And 31 goals.

Not likely to last, but if it does, we don't have to be timid about the Kane comparisons anymore.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Andersson played a relatively smooth game, could not tell that it was only his 2nd NHL game, I was surprised that he and Kulak played 13-14 minutes. Together they looked really good.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I honestly hope Bartkowski never plays another game in the NHL.

He is clearly worse then Kulak and Andersson. I’d put Kylington in there before him. The guy just sucks at hockey.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why do you hate Monahan lol. I love ferly as much as anyone but he can't hold a candle to money

To be fair, Ferland handles the puck better, is more of an every minute impact on that line. I don’t think anyone on this board questions Monahan’s Finishing ability, it’s among the best this team’s had since prime Iggy (that’s major praise imo); but like Ferland’s sometimes questionable consistency, Monahan has his own flaws. You don’t want him to carry the puck, he doesn’t handle it overly well, his vision might even be worse than Ferland’s; the skating isn’t even in the same universe.

I mean, if we have to keep one, I’m keeping Mony, and that’s not even close. Both have found excellent niches on this team playing with Gaudreau. Similar to other top players in this league; once you find meshing players, you ride it out. Ferland strikes me as a guy that if he hits FA and continues similar pace, someone will overpay for tremendously.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
To be fair, Ferland handles the puck better, is more of an every minute impact on that line. I don’t think anyone on this board questions Monahan’s Finishing ability, it’s among the best this team’s had since prime Iggy (that’s major praise imo); but like Ferland’s sometimes questionable consistency, Monahan has his own flaws. You don’t want him to carry the puck, he doesn’t handle it overly well, his vision might even be worse than Ferland’s; the skating isn’t even in the same universe.
I don't know about that Monahan has some good vision and is really good at reading the play, he's also made some amazing passes over the years. I think his issue is when you ask him to skate it in and make a pass that isn't to a player directly beside him. That's when you see him throw a pass into the opposing defenders skates instead of holding it or working down low. Or even turning and looking to feed our d men.

Also even though he' clearly never going to be a go to guy for NZ play at least he's improved at it. A couple of seasons ago I didn't want him carrying the puck whatsoever because he was so slow.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I honestly hope Bartkowski never plays another game in the NHL.

He is clearly worse then Kulak and Andersson. I’d put Kylington in there before him. The guy just sucks at hockey.

I concur, however I suspect once Hamonic gets back they send down Andersson to play top minutes instead of eat popcorn.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think we've seen enough now to know that there is no reason for Bartkowski to play. That said, we shouldn't get rid of him, because if we do, we'll be forcing a prospect to be a healthy scratch every game.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I love seeing Ferland play like this, but I've seen this episode before. It's a re-run.I would love nothing more than to see me be wrong, and have him thrive in that role for the rest of the year, but he doesn't stay hot for long.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd actually agree that Ferland has had a more overall impact so far this season than Mony.

The makeup of this line is perfect. Johnny drives the play, Mony just has to get open and get a shot off and Ferland creates space, sets screens, goes to the corners. I think one of the reasons why he's been doing so well to start the year is his confidence is sky high and other teams don't know what he is or what he does. They likely expect him to be out there hitting everything so they get rid of the puck once he's close, but he hasn't gone for the hits, he's peeled off to get back in the play. He has the speed, hands and shot to continue to be a 1st line RWer (granted he won't be seen as a 1st line RWer league wide), just has to keep playing this way for long periods.

At the end of the day, his detractors will always say he'd be better hitting people in the bottom 6 than he would be putting pucks in the net, which is likely true. But we all know what he's capable of and he's proving us right (so far).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lack needs to take the game on Monday. Smith's gone relatively cold and there's no reason to keep playing him when there's still so much hockey left. Plus it makes sure he doesn't aggrevate his wrist if it's still giving him trouble when the Blues roll into town.

Reactions: Dack

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lack needs to take the game on Monday. Smith's gone relatively cold and there's no reason to keep playing him when there's still so much hockey left. Plus it makes sure he doesn't aggrevate his wrist if it's still giving him trouble when the Blues roll into town.
Not sure about Smith going cold. Watching the highlights from last night (I only got to see the first period live) he wasn't to blame for any of the goals, and I'm guessing based on the fact that he faced 40 shots that he made some great saves along the way, too.

But yeah, nothing wrong with getting Lack in there. He was pretty good in St. Louis.

Reactions: Dack

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Reto Berra was a Swiss legend though

Berra is very good when he is on.
His nerves are his weakness.

Not wanting to criticize him but to call him a legend ... there are a couple of steps. He has never been the best Swiss goalie ... he could have been the best goalie available ... on some occasions.

We had a history of very good goaltending in the past 10 years. Hiller that you know was better than Berra. IMO. Both were like by Alair. The greatest Swiss goalie was Martin Gerber.
Olympic games in Torino : Swiss 2-0 Canada ... where he blocked like 48 shots against top Canadian players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad