GDT: Release the Andersson! Flames vs. Wings 11/9/2017, 7:00 PM MT

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’ll add Gaudreau is an elite player, obviously. But while Tkachuk might not have his ceiling in terms of scoring, he offers a more complete package and still provides high end skill and I think he can affect an opposing team more with his play.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I like winning. There’s a lot that goes into scoring a goal and Tkachuk does everything.
You can do all these other crap but you arent winning if you don't score
Gaudreau scoring is the difference maker on the flames. Don't underestimate that
This team will have trouble scoring without him. Heck they have trouble scoring with him

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah if you think tkachuk is more valuable than gaudreau...enough said

Pretty much any team who’s ever won anything, does more than just focus on offence. So yeah, I value a guy like Tkachuk probably more than any other forward on our team. Tkachuk’s play gives guys like Gaudreau room to do what he does against a team like LA.

It drives me crazy how fickle some people are. I say I think Tkachuk is more valuable than Gaudreau. That doesn’t mean I don’t think that Gaudreau isn’t fantastic or elite at what he does. I am allowed to like more than one player, it’s the same garbage as the Monahan vs Bennett thing or Bennett vs Brouwer thing. I just think Tkachuk is more important to the team for all the things he contributes.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He has been since being put on the top line. Which was my point:

12 ESG in 36gp for Ferland
12 ESG in 39gp for Monahan

Interesting. I went fishing after reading this and tried to take away 3v3/4v4 goals too, which are considered ES but are really just special teams:

Since February 21, 2017
Ferland
12 5v5 G on 107 shot attempts in 458:19 minutes 5v5 TOI (1.57 G/60)
Monahan
10 5v5 G on 114 shot attempts in 501:17 minutes 5v5 TOI (1.20G/60)

For some context, of people who have logged 200 minutes so far this season, 1.57 G/60 would rank 11th behind Kucherov, Ovechkin, Stone, Tavares, Couturier, Keller, Kopitar, Marleau, Kadri, and Matthews. Of people who logged 400 minutes last year, that would have ranked 2nd, behind only Jake Guentzal.

Goals can be fickle events, but Ferland has indeed out-goal-scored Monahan since he was originally promoted to that line at 5-on-5. And based on his pair of excellent power play goals this year in significantly less ice time than the likes of Brouwer and co, it's possible that Ferland is currently the best goal scorer on this team being held back by ice time contrivances. Cool thought to ponder. We could theoretically have three guys in the 35-50 goal range if the three guys on the top line were all used optimally.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You can do all these other crap but you arent winning if you don't score
Gaudreau scoring is the difference maker on the flames. Don't underestimate that
This team will have trouble scoring without him. Heck they have trouble scoring with him

Smith is the difference maker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad