GDT: Release the Andersson! Flames vs. Wings 11/9/2017, 7:00 PM MT

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So much insecurity among the Monahan fanboys . . .

The irony in you saying this with how you try to discredit any player getting some love that might take away from Gaudreau is hilarious.

And what exactly does Monahan have to do with Ferland? One is a 25 point plug then other is a top line #1 C.

You trying to make this about "Monahan fanboys" just shows how pathetic your obsession with discrediting him is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It wasn't a fluke it was terrible defense. Against a adequate defense or goalie he doesn't come close to scoring. It still counts so great for him but it wasn't a play that showed any skill or is likely to be repeated in the future as most goalies won't flop around like a fish and most defensemen won't stand still reaching with weak stick checks.

This is a truly pathetic post. You can't admit that there are other players on the Flames that can make plays.

Sad.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait, so now special teams matter? You said he wasn't nearly talented enough to be a top 6 player, yet his goal scoring in the top 6 has been every bit as good, if not better than, Monahan's when playing on the top line.

Seems like your moving the goal posts a bit. Kinda hard for Ferland to score PP goals when he's not given any PP time.
Where did I say that? Either you don't actually read what it said, or you don't understand basic English. I said when he is playing well he has a place in the top 6.

The problem with Ferland is consistency, that's all we are saying. It's really not difficult to understand.

He gets put with the top line and scores 6 goals in 8 games. Then he finished the season scoring 1 goal over the next 13 games. This season, he scores 1 goal in 10 games to start the year and then he gets 4 goals in 5 games. It's not like he is racking up assists and playing really well without the puck when he isn't scoring either.

Your blindness for all thing Ferland has reached the same obsessive levels as your dislike for Monahan.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The irony in you saying this with how you try to discredit any player getting some love that might take away from Gaudreau is hilarious.

Oh yea? Is that why I'm so complimentary of Ferland and credit him with helping turn around Gaudreau's season last year?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Where did I say that? Either you don't actually read what it said, or you don't understand basic English. I said when he is playing well he has a place in the top 6.

The problem with Ferland is consistency, that's all we are saying. It's really not difficult to understand.

He gets put with the top line and scores 6 goals in 8 games. Then he finished the season scoring 1 goal over the next 13 games. This season, he scores 1 goal in 10 games to start the year and then he gets 4 goals in 5 games. It's not like he is racking up assists and playing really well without the puck when he isn't scoring either.

Your blindness for all thing Ferland has reached the same obsessive levels as your dislike for Monahan.[/b]

I wasn't even quoting you lol. Maybe take some of your own advice.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Oh yea? Is that why I'm so complimentary of Ferland and credit him with helping turn around Gaudreau's season last year?

Ferland isn't a "risk" to Gaudreau.

And if you were talking about Ferland alone and not trying use him to discredit Monahan I might believe it but since you fail to do that I think it is pretty clear your intentions here.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ferland isn't a "risk" to Gaudreau.

And if you were talking about Ferland alone and not trying use him to discredit Monahan I might believe it but since you fail to do that I think it is pretty clear your intentions here.

I was talking about Ferland alone until you claimed he was nowhere close to skilled enough to play in the top 6. I brought up Monahan's production to show that Ferland's has been better at ES (because I know you love Monahan) since getting the same opportunity to play with Gaudreau.

The point I was making is that if Ferland is so terrible, how has he been the better ES goal scorer than your favorite player in Monahan?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
What was pathetic was your discrediting of Ferland's goal last night. Ironic given your accusations against me.

It was the equivalent of "let's see him do that against an NHL defense", except he was actually playing against an NHL defense.

If pulling that off is so easy against Detroit's apparently terrible blueline, why didn't Monahan do it? So much mental gymnastics ITT

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Wait....
Ferland is a better goal scorer than Monahan?

Just because Ferland made a play Monahan didn't? News flash - players can create offence and score goals in so many different ways. I guess just because Ferland can have more flash on his finishing he's a better goal scorer than Monahan?

This is pathetic.

I'll take the guy that is the best goal scorer from his draft year, and the guy with 115 career goals, thanks.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wait....

At ES since being put on the top line, he has been, yes.

What's interesting is that over the same stretch Monahan has been playing some excellent hockey, perhaps the best stretch of his career. That's why Ferland's goal scoring has been so impressive.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Coming from a guy who has created how many flame wars on this site about Gaudreau? You seem to enjoy acting the victim/saint in this thread, when I see it as more pot meet kettle.

Am I wrong to challenge posters who say Ferland "nowhere near skilled enough" to be a top 6 player?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wait....

Just because Ferland made a play Monahan didn't? News flash - players can create offence and score goals in so many different ways. I guess just because Ferland can have more flash on his finishing he's a better goal scorer than Monahan?

This is pathetic.

I'll take the guy that is the best goal scorer from his draft year, and the guy with 115 career goals, thanks.

That's personally not what I'm trying to say. I just take issue with people claiming Ferland is a plug when he clearly has high level offensive instincts and appears to be pretty close to putting it all together.

I think he's a great goal scorer but hard to put him over Monahan just based on Mony's body of work.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I was talking about Ferland alone until you claimed he was nowhere close to skilled enough to play in the top 6. I brought up Monahan's production to show that Ferland's has been better at ES (because I know you love Monahan) since getting the same opportunity to play with Gaudreau.

The point I was making is that if Ferland is so terrible, how has he been the better ES goal scorer than your favorite player in Monahan?

He hasn't been the better ES goal scorer.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I am not suggesting it, I am saying that as an overall player Monahan is better than Gaudreau. If I had to choose one player to keep it would be Monahan without a second thought.
That's insane. What's even the argument for that? [MOD]

Nothing outside of anecdotal evidence suggests Monahan is a good defensive player and he's clearly not on Gaudreau's level offensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dertell

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The truth in the last two pages is somewhere in the middle of both arguments.

Gaudreau is Calgary’s best (forward) player. There’s nothing to debate here, he’s the elite player on our team. It’s like debating if Huselius or Conroy were better than Iggy in their primes. Both Monahan and Ferland would be good middle 6 options (Mony probably the 2nd liner, Ferly the third) without Gaudreau, he’s the line driver and the guy who makes everyone 50% more dangerous at least.

Monahan is an awesome goal scorer. Ferland’s showing he has the right touch too given the opportunity. I think both guys are more complimentary pieces on a top line versus true top liners. Ferland’s moving towards being a legit top 6 NHLer while Monahan’s moving towards being an all purpose top line threat.

Monahan’s got a better track record, but he’s also been given the longest opportunity with the little, big, dog. If I were having to pick between the two, it’s Monahan just because I know I have a 57-65 point centre who I can make people think is a top line C; I like the way Ferly’s trending though, he’s a beauty.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This thread is hilarious, all I see is Whiskey arguing with himself. *hint hint Whiskey*

But seriously, Ferland has had a great stretch the past two weeks, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking he is anywhere near Monahan's offensive ceiling. Monahan is much more consistent and has proven it over a 4 year span, where Ferland has proven he is extremely hot and cold.

And yeah, the 12ES goal argument looks good, but Ferland has 27 career goals whereas Mony has 115.

Reactions: Calgareee

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I am not suggesting it, I am saying that as an overall player Monahan is better than Gaudreau. If I had to choose one player to keep it would be Monahan without a second thought.
what's great about this post is NHL coaches and executives agree with it

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It’s not totally uncommon for players come into their own in their mid twenties. Then you look at Ferland’s late start to hockey and personal struggles. Then you look at Ferland’s physical skill set... he seems like the perfect late bloomer candidate to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad