Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Don't fight if you don't want to get hurt. Good on lil Bert doing his job. Hope Jensen is ok, wings and Griffs are going to need him this season.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Nick Jensen was absent from practice today and won't be participating in the scrimmage tomorrow either. George Malik told me that Nick tweaked his shoulder in the fight with Tyler Bertuzzi yesterday. This sucks a big one because I was really looking forward to seeing Jensen in game action (even if it's just scrimmage). He's made big strides since last year and I think a full camp would have been good for him. Damn it. I mentioned in my day one recap that Jensen got the worse of the fight with BerTwozzi, and it's also worth noting that since fighting isn't allowed in the NCAA, Jensen isn't accustomed to fighting. I really hope keeping him out of practice and the scrimmage is just precautionary.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/7/11/4515700/red-wings-development-camp-day-2-part-2

If true, SMH... Way to go, Newbert. Good going on injuring a promising prospect for the Wings.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If true, SMH... Way to go, Newbert. Good going on injuring a promising prospect for the Wings.

Why would it be Bertuzzi's fault? He's doing his job and trying to make an impression. Jensen didn't have to fight. And he "tweaked" his shoulder. The season is still a few months away and he should recover from it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
why are players dropping the gloves in practice? seems like a stupid idea, nothing positive can come from it.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
I remember that was known already when Wings drafted him. Marchenko had studied english and was very interested in moving America. HE could be a special case, that does not prefer his home country like almost all Russians not named Voynov and superstars have done. They knew the guy, because they got the inside info from Fetisov.

I thought one of his biggest drawbacks was people didn't think he'd come to America?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I thought one of his biggest drawbacks was people didn't think he'd come to America?
The biggest reason he wasn't drafted in 2010 was injuries. He had his spleen removed and it wasn't sure that he could play again. He also had a major knee injury after being drafted, in 2011-2012.

By the way, I just noticed Pulkkinen and Marchenko are born on the same day. :)

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
It's a camp. There proving what they can do. And Bertuzzi did what he did. It's not his fault. Suck it up kid

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting to think about how many goalscorer prospects the Wings have now. Mantha, Frk, Pope, Tatar, arguably Tvrdon (31 goals in the W his rookie year), and Jurco as well. Wonder if we'll see a tiny bit more focus on skilled playmakers again so long as this group continues to impress.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jensen fought in the USHL so this isn't entirely accurate. I have no problem with it happening once in a blue moon between teammates, as long as everyone understands why. I hope Jensen doesn't take this the wrong way he fought basically for what sounded like little Bert running around a little too aggressively and bumping his goalie. I like that Jensen actually went, stinks about his shoulder, but that has more to do with falling or grappling than actually getting his *** kicked. Just unfortunate it happened that way.

It was pretty clear from the write ups today that Bertuzzi was the target of some rough stuff in their scrimmage. That Frk unloaded on him and got his stick up high when he saw him coming. There is a difference between your teammates and the other guys, little Bertuzzi isn't making the Wings this year and I don't think he needs to be playing as aggressive as he is doing right now. I don't think the other prospects appreciate it. Some will like that he doesn't have an off-switch, but I have a feeling he is going to hear don't do this in his exit interview in terms of in the next couple years.

I don't fault Bertuzzi, this is what he is, this is what he was billed as being. He is a tough son of gun and he plays a mean game, he just needs to do it more so to the other teams guys, or at this might sound a little mean but if he wanted to prove his point take on one of the tryouts, not a future teammate who is under contract.

For some of the older people, you might remember this, pretty big story when it first happened.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
Interesting to think about how many goalscorer prospects the Wings have now. Mantha, Frk, Pope, Tatar, arguably Tvrdon (31 goals in the W his rookie year), and Jurco as well. Wonder if we'll see a tiny bit more focus on skilled playmakers again so long as this group continues to impress.

jarnkrok projects to be an elite level playmaker. it'll interesting to see who joins him on either of his wings down the road in the AHL and into the N, given all of those goalscorers.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nice bit on Marchenko and how he's likely to embrace living in North America: (from here http://griffinshockey.com/news/features/?article_id=2553)

“My dream is to play here with great players like Pavel Datsyuk. If you even have a little chance to be here, you have to try it. That’s my opinion, and that’s why I’m here.”

“It’s always interesting to learn something new, and it will help me a lot in the future,” he said. “I think the smaller rink is better because it’s more intense. You have to think a little bit faster than on a big rink, which makes it more interesting.”

The Moscow native did visit Grand Rapids for a few weeks at the beginning of the team’s playoff run, skating in several practices and bracing for potential culture shock in moving across the world for next season.

“They have a great team and a great group of guys,” said Marchenko. “If I don’t understand something, everyone tries to help by speaking to me and showing me what to do. It was great to see how they work and to feel the atmosphere at the rink.

“I don’t think I will [have trouble adjusting to North America] because my wife will be here, too,” he continued. “It wouldn’t matter if we were in Grand Rapids or in Africa. You are together and helping each other, and I think your teammates will always help you in any part of the world.”

Johnz96*

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Quite a bit of spanking it to Napoleon there but he sort of gets it right. The Wings always slow play guys and that includes having very modest expectations. The big question is if we have another Pavs or Z will management let them rise to the level that best suits both them and the Wings or are they so petrified of the cap that they are more inclined to deny guys opportunities that in the end it ends up stunting their growth?

Johnz96*

Quite a bit of spanking it to Napoleon there but he sort of gets it right. The Wings always slow play guys and that includes having very modest expectations. The big question is if we have another Pavs or Z will management let them rise to the level that best suits both them and the Wings or are they so petrified of the cap that they are more inclined to deny guys opportunities that in the end it ends up stunting their growth?

Saying that there are a few super-stars among the prospects is probably being over optimistic, there are only a few super-stars in the NHL and only 2 on the Wings most teams don't even have one. So if there are a few in the system that sounds very promising to me.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Saying that there are a few super-stars among the prospects is probably being over optimistic, there are only a few super-stars in the NHL and only 2 on the Wings most teams don't even have one. So if there are a few in the system that sounds very promising to me.

I think you're taking the word "few" too literally, to me it sounds like they're are trying to say that there are very little or no superstars in the pool, and not that there is "a few" (i.e 2-3) superstars in the pool. Overall I took it as a reiteration of one of the pool's biggest weakness, a can't miss bluechip/elite prospect, although Mrazek is making a strong case at being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad