joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Part V

Last post from previous thread:

I can't remember when they've had so many actual try-outs (besides the Chelios & Babcock kids etc.). Too bad they don't have many roster spots free for FA signings.

Another interesting point is that they invited G Toni Eskelinen who was a 2013 eligible (-95) Euro, but I believe you can't sign them the same way you can with North Americans, right?

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
So my reaction to their 2013 draft class is still either, "What in the hell is this crap???" or one big giant "Meh..."

How about everybody else? If I'm just being crazy then oh well but I'd like to check the pulse of other fans in regards to the draft.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
So my reaction to their 2013 draft class is still either, "What in the hell is this crap???" or one big giant "Meh..."

How about everybody else? If I'm just being crazy then oh well but I'd like to check the pulse of other fans in regards to the draft.

Same here. Mantha is great, but the rest? Very weak IMO...

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
The first three picks I liked and feel are future NHLers. The rest are project and could end up being great, or nothing. You never know theyre 18

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Don't sleep on this kid....
Janmark-Nylen, who had 61 points in 40 games at the J-20 SuperElit level back in 2011-12, projects as a scoring-line player at the NHL level and is closer to realizing his potential than most players drafted outside of the first round on Sunday.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Just curious, have you seen any of the players that were drafted this year actually play? And I mean more than a handful of games.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just curious, have you seen any of the players that were drafted this year actually play? And I mean more than a handful of games.

This is typically the way it goes: large portions of the fan base hate our draft picks and then after following them for a season and seeing their development begin to like them to the point of wondering why they aren't being moved more quickly into the DRW lineup. :D

So my suggestion is to fire away with your initial STRONG TAKE and then follow the prospects for a full year and then develop a firm opinion on them. You'd be surprised how stark the difference can be after actually following the player for a full year.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

Right now I don't think it looks any worse than how the 2012 class looked a year ago. Probably even better with Mantha, and the trade in the 1st round was a great move to pick up a free 2nd round pick. Of course they had 2 more picks but I think most people feel it was a bad/not very good draft simply because of the Bertuzzi pick...

Last year many thought Frk was the only good pick but Paterson and Athanasiou for example have both developed a lot in one year.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Excited we have finally have some pure finishers in the pipeline. Frk and Mantha both fit sniper mold, love to shoot the puck.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Right now I don't think it looks any worse than how the 2012 class looked a year ago. Probably even better with Mantha, and the trade in the 1st round was a great move to pick up a free 2nd round pick. Of course they had 2 more picks but I think most people feel it was a bad/not very good draft simply because of the Bertuzzi pick...

Last year many thought Frk was the only good pick but Paterson and Athanasiou for example have both developed a lot in one year.

to be fair we didn't have a first round pick at all last year

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Might not have roster room this year unless they make some trades to free up roster spots. I'm pretty sure we are currentley at 48 atm.

Also smith, nyquist, and andersson are yet to be signed.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Will they sign Mantha this year or wait for next summer? Don't they usually sign the first rounders right away? Unless it's a College/Europe player?

I expect this year.

Might not have roster room this year unless they make some trades to free up roster spots. I'm pretty sure we are currentley at 48 atm.

Also smith, nyquist, and andersson are yet to be signed.

Well he goes back to juniors so that contract won't count.

And we are at 49 if we sign our RFAs.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
U20 players sent back to juniors/Europe won't count anyway. If they sign Janmark I think it would count though.

We can also expect one or two contracts gone from the current big club forwards. It's a squeeze but looks like we'll be at 48 or 49 most likely.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I am most excited about Janmark-Nylen. He seems like he could be a top6 forward in a couple of years.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I am most excited about Janmark-Nylen. He seems like he could be a top6 forward in a couple of years.

Yep, I think we'll see him cross the pond next year, maybe the year after just so the logjam of forwards is cleared up in Grand Rapids.

I think he'll see some time on the Euro team again, are they still doing that thing?, & possibly the WC team if he plays well during the year.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Janmark-Hylen... to be fair you should compare him to 2010 and 2011 draft picks that the wings have, since he's the same age as them. He's almost exactly as old as Tomas Jurco...and I feel that Jurco is better.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Janmark-Hylen... to be fair you should compare him to 2010 and 2011 draft picks that the wings have, since he's the same age as them. He's almost exactly as old as Tomas Jurco...and I feel that Jurco is better.

No doubt, but Jurco is also a top3 prospect in our pool.

Janmark's biggest challenge will be to adapt to the more physically demanding NA game I think, and gain an extra step to his skating. I'm not worried about his size though.

Yep, I think we'll see him cross the pond next year, maybe the year after just so the logjam of forwards is cleared up in Grand Rapids.

I think he'll see some time on the Euro team again, are they still doing that thing?, & possibly the WC team if he plays well during the year.

Yeah, Euro Hockey Tour, one more season. If he has a good year I think he crosses the pond. If not, they'll probably wait and see. Own his rights for four years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jurco is better than a lot of people, that isn't exactly a slight. He just beat Sproul and Ouellet in our player polls the other big two from his draft year.

That could be an interesting year, if you tack Janmark-Nylen onto it, could be the best age group we have produced since 89.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I expect this year.

Well he goes back to juniors so that contract won't count.

And we are at 49 if we sign our RFAs.

I have 49 to... Started with a list at http://griffinscentral.com/articles/070413.html

Detroit NHL:
Forwards
1 Cory Emmerton
2 Daniel Alfredsson
3 Darren Helm (Injured Last Season)
4 Drew Miller
5 Gustav Nyquist - RFA - Qualified
6 Henrick Zetterberg
7 Joakim Andersson - RFA - Qualified
8 Johan Franzen
9 Jordin Tootoo
10 Justin Abdelkader
11 Mikael Samuelsson (Injured last season)
12 Patrick Eaves
13 Pavel Datsyuk
14 Stephen Weiss
15 Todd Bertuzzi (Injured Last Season)
16 Tomas Tatar
Defense
17 Brendan Smith - RFA - Qualified
18 Brian Lashoff
19 Dan DeKeyser
20 Jakub Kindl
21 Jonathan Ericsson
22 Kyle Quincey
23 Niklas Kronwall
Goalies
24 Jimmy Howard
25 Jonas Gustavsson
Grand Rapids AHL:
Forwards
26 Andrej Nestrasil
27 Brent Raedeke - RFA - Rumored Not Qualified - UFA
28 Calle Jarnkrok
29 Landon Ferraro
30 Louis-Marc Aubry
31 Marek Tvrdon
32 Martin Frk
33 Mitchell Callahan
34 Riley Sheahan
35 Teemu Pulkkinen
36 Tomas Jurco
37 Trevor Parkes
38 Willie Coetzee
Defense
39 Adam Almquist
40 Alexei Marchenko
41 Gleason Fournier
42 Max Nicastro
43 Nick Jensen
44 Richard Nedomlel
45 Ryan Sproul
46 Xavier Ouellet
Goalies
47 Jared Coreau
48 Petr Mrazek
49 Thomas McCollum

Damien Brunner - UFA
Dan Cleary - UFA

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Unless I missed something, McCollum hasn't accepted the QO right? I don't really see him accepting it, take the $65K or what it might be and play in the ECHL. That doesn't seem to help his career much.

Chet Pickard, another former 1st rounder, WJC goalie, was also terrible in the AHL and posted .890 stats in the ECHL(!). He found a good job in the SEL2 and had a nice season. He hasn't signed yet for this season I think but he could easily demand money in the $150k range/year now in Europe. He's the same age as McCollum. Just seems like the far better route to go. McCollum is a nice guy that works hard, he could make a better career and more money at the other side of the pond.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
Unless I missed something, McCollum hasn't accepted the QO right? I don't really see him accepting it, take the $65K or what it might be and play in the ECHL. That doesn't seem to help his career much.

Chet Pickard, another former 1st rounder, WJC goalie, was also terrible in the AHL and posted .890 stats in the ECHL(!). He found a good job in the SEL2 and had a nice season. He hasn't signed yet for this season I think but he could easily demand money in the $150k range/year now in Europe. He's the same age as McCollum. Just seems like the far better route to go. McCollum is a nice guy that works hard, he could make a better career and more money at the other side of the pond.

Did we even give TM a qualifying offer?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Who do you guys see being the first injury call-ups? Jurco for forwards? Sheehan also, maybe Frk? On D there are a lot of options and it could be any of the 4-5 prospects down there, any ideas on who has the upper hand there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->