Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
That's less than half of the weight, obviously he's in better form. That might be around JMFJ's max.

Maybe i'm stupid but I don't understand what you mean here?

My point is, if you're gonna squat, do it properly, and clearly below paralell... JJ is doing some kind of1/4s squats that's all Quads.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
You get a huge increase in squat effectiveness when you go below parallel and reduce weight to make it possible. I was stuck in an old form that I was taught similar to JJ's squat and I was not getting stronger, I dropped weight and started doing full deep squated and blew past my old max withing a month.

This was for pitching training but it's the same muscle group.

Not really sure what this all has to do with prospects, but yeah. That Mantha sure can shoot.

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
If your using so much weight that your form is effected then your doing it wrong and it's real dangerous.

Mike Barwis, who is supervising his squat in that video, is widely considered one of the country's best personal trainers. So I wouldn't be worried about the safety of his form.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
By the way, I have a question for our Swedish posters: Have you ever used Live Arena and will it be possible to watch Bodin and Melén (TAIF J20) with it?

Yeah, it's the official streaming partner with the Swedish association now. It was all free content last year but sounds like they'll take a minor fee this season. Last season only Frölunda, MoDo and Leksand or so broadcasted their J18/20 games but by the sounds of it, it might be a league wide service this season. Quality was 1200kbit/s with rewind, no commentary or clock but with the ocassional scoreboard zoom in.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, it's the official streaming partner with the Swedish association now. It was all free content last year but sounds like they'll take a minor fee this season. Last season only Frölunda, MoDo and Leksand or so broadcasted their J18/20 games but by the sounds of it, it might be a league wide service this season. Quality was 1200kbit/s with rewind, no commentary or clock but with the ocassional scoreboard zoom in.
Ok, thanks for the info. I believe they just made a deal with the Finnish IHF for 13-14 but it didn't include U20 iirc.

Silly question, but does Swedens hockey season start before North American hockey season?
The regular season begins Sep 14th but pre-season games begin this week (Janmark) or for teams taking part in the European Trophy next week (Bäckman). But it's kind of hard to find info on Bodin's and Melén's pre-season since they play in the U20 league. They're regular season begins on Sep 14th as well.

Last edited:

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Alright HF finally got our ratings in for our current draft class, here they are.

Mantha: 8.0 D
Nastasiuk: 6.5 C
Bertuzzi: 6.0 D
Janmark: 7.0 D
Pope: 6.0 D
Wheaton: 6.0 C
McNulty: 5.5 C
Melen: 5.5 D

Thoughts?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think Mantha could easily be 8.5D too. He's not likely to be that dominant top line scorer, but he certainly has it in him. 8.0 vs 8.5 is pretty arbitrary, though.

In all, I think they're on the right track with the C and D type scores, because that's how the Wings draft. I think they're off about McNulty, though. Pope too. Those are both guys who are unlikely to become players, but would likely be more than bit players if they did.

bishop

Oct 19, 2011
That's less than half of the weight, obviously he's in better form. That might be around JMFJ's max.

If the video descriptions are to be believed, JJ was squatting 500 LB and Chakarov was squatting 265 KG. So he was actually squatting more, but to be fair he was a professional weightlifter.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Alright HF finally got our ratings in for our current draft class, here they are.

Thoughts?

Mantha at an 8.0D is fine. I think I'd move Nastasiuk up to a 7.0D but a 6.5C is okay as well. Bertuzzi & Janmark are fine as well. I'd move Pope to 7.0D, I don't know anything about the Dmen, and I'd also move Melen up to a 6.5D. Andersson really likes the guy.

Have they updated anyone else? I'd have thought Paterson, Athanasiou, Sproul & Backman would get a little boost.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Mantha at an 8.0D is fine. I think I'd move Nastasiuk up to a 7.0D but a 6.5C is okay as well. Bertuzzi & Janmark are fine as well. I'd move Pope to 7.0D, I don't know anything about the Dmen, and I'd also move Melen up to a 6.5D. Andersson really likes the guy.

Have they updated anyone else? I'd have thought Paterson, Athanasiou, Sproul & Backman would get a little boost.

I agree on some of the guys getting a boost. I would also like to see Jurco up to a 7.5 but I would understand why they wouldn't do that.

Oct 18, 2006
I hope Aubry can step up this season. He had a real solid rookie season but was underwhelming last year. Hes got good size and speed, but for whatever reason cant seem to produce to the level that would make him a serious NHL prospect.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Thoughts?

They probably should raise those potential highs for almost everyone and lower that hitting probability. Because that's how it goes with our system.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad