Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I see Tyler Bertuzzi is getting along with fellow prospects :laugh: (The other player is Nick Jenson)

20130710160927_2013-0710-dg-wings1173.jpg

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Janmark has really good English skills. Almost that Landeskog/Lidstrom style zero accent English. Little bit of an accent sneaks in there at times.

https://soundcloud.com/georgeums/janmarknylen071013
lol don't kid yourself, landeskog doesn't have a swedish accent what so ever, his english is a lot better and smoother. Janmark sounds like every 20 year old kid in this country, you clearly hear the accent and stuff, but of course it's decent english either way, especially compared to Eastern Europeans etc.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
lol don't kid yourself, landeskog doesn't have a swedish accent what so ever, his english is a lot better and smoother. Janmark sounds like every 20 year old kid in this country, you clearly hear the accent and stuff, but of course it's decent english either way, especially compared to Eastern Europeans etc.

Nedomlel has a lot of the um... I know he has been in Canada but thought his English was pretty good.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is it normal with fights during prospect camps? Anyone remember any recent ones? I can't..

I wonder if they're good sport about it or really mad and hate eachother? =D

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh yeah, I'm gonna assume Bert jr. instigated that fight btw. :laugh:

As Newfy stated, Jensen is a little more business than people think. If you think you are going to touch the goalie a bunch with him out there it's likely to end in that. Could see him touching 5 fights a year. He likes the physical game. So yeah I am sure the back and forth was going on, but Jensen is going to be chippy at times and will also land some massive hits because he really leverages his skating into lowering the boom and has a pretty decent frame.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Is it normal with fights during prospect camps? Anyone remember any recent ones? I can't..

Not unheard of around the league, but Wings haven't had too many prospects like that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Already been said but around the league its fairly common to have a couple. To me it just means the prospects are going hard enough to piss each other off and want to prove something to the brass which is great.

Lately the wings have drafted a lot more guys who are capable of this part of the game, I cant remember the last fight at camp but it probably had a lot to do with the players that were there. Theres a lot more tough style of players in camp then since probabaly at least 2000 so this isnt all that surprising

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
A little annoyed with Malik's coverage today. Unless he's got a post coming where he talks about the prospects, what's the point? The stuff he's got up points to him coming to prospect camp and then ignoring the prospects...

He's too caught up in wanting to show he can be a big boy journalist to realize that we didn't need another one. We need somebody who doesn't bring identical coverage. Did we REALLY need more Darren Helm injury news?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A little annoyed with Malik's coverage today. Unless he's got a post coming where he talks about the prospects, what's the point? The stuff he's got up points to him coming to prospect camp and then ignoring the prospects...

He's too caught up in wanting to show he can be a big boy journalist to realize that we didn't need another one. We need somebody who doesn't bring identical coverage. Did we REALLY need more Darren Helm injury news?

Here's something actually about our prospects
http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/first-impressions-from-day-1-of-the-red-wings-development-camp

In terms of the players I actually saw skating on Wednesday, here are my initial impressions:

#43 Darren Helm: Like I said, there was little power in his stride and his hands were a bit wonky as he hadn't done much other than skate by himself since, say, March. He tried to push himself at times but you could see him holding back, and not being happy knowing that he had to crank it up to 2/3rds Helm Speed and leave the rest on the table against other ultra-competitive (as Babcock would say) people who were out-skating and out-executing #43 because #43 had to play like he was a beer-leaguer.

His fit and finish were a little sloppy from the lack of physical strength and "wind," but you could obviously tell that it was an NHL'er doing the drills, comprehending them immediately and knowing where to be before his teammates were there, so the bag, she was mixed.

#67 Rasmus Bodin: Rasmus Bodin looked like some kid that Hakan Andersson picked out of a backwoods league, still growing into his body as he clumsily fumbled drills and struggled to keep up with the pace of things last year. This year, at least based upon twenty or so minutes of viewing, his size and strength are now in a body whose brain is comfortable with what it's now used to attempting to control. He looks like someone with promise, a big checking forward with solid skating skills and nice passing. So far.

#80 Dean Chelios: Jake's the defenseman, Dean's the forward, and Dean looks like he's put a little more meat on his bones, but he remains smallish even after gaining a few pounds. He's speedy and skilled but whether he can translate his tempo and grit into something more, after three years of watching him, I'm still not sure.

#42 Martin Frk: Frk is still sporting something of a playoff beard, and a year after suffering a groin injury during the first real day of skating, he chugged up and down the ice so hunched over that I thought something was wrong with him. As it turns out, the guy who wears #91 may not be nearly as fast as the original, but he sure as hell has a similar stride, albeit with his legs not set so far apart like Fedorov's. Frk's this hunched-over goal-scoring machine, and it's evident that he wanted to power his way to the net and shoot shoot shoot, but the thing I find interesting about Frk is that it seems as if he gets a little McCollum-y when he doesn't score. It bugs him, and it's almost as if he takes that last missed shot with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
XO wearing #61, guess he has been told #16 isn't coming back in circulation anytime soon. Not that it surprises me, but interesting that he switched numbers....

Also curiously Frk is in #42.

Yes I know it is just a prospect camp but did find it interesting they assigned numbers it looks like and neither of those two numbers were dolled out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
XO wearing #61, guess he has been told #16 isn't coming back in circulation anytime soon. Not that it surprises me, but interesting that he switched numbers....

Yes I know it is just a prospect camp but did find it interesting they assigned numbers it looks like and neither of those two numbers were dolled out.

I've always wondered this, and I've never been able to find an answer. I was going to make a thread on it, but I felt like it was too petty.

Do you know why Nyquist wore #89 in Maine, #14 in Detroit, and #13 in Grand Rapids?

Wonder why he didn't just wear #89 all the way through.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I have very high hopes for Alexei Marchenko, I have been high on him since his draft day. A guy with his size, skill, and smarts is bound to be successful to some extent. If he can put together a healthy season in the AHL I think he would very easily be NHL ready next season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've always wondered this, and I've never been able to find an answer. I was going to make a thread on it, but I felt like it was too petty.

Do you know why Nyquist wore #89 in Maine, #14 in Detroit, and #13 in Grand Rapids?

Wonder why he didn't just wear #89 all the way through.

A lot of teams assign numbers, especially to incoming players and then down the road the player will ask for something different. See Emmerton.

With Nyquist 89 could be just because of his birth year and numbers he wanted being gone.

But Frk is really an all out 0 for in terms of us for both numbers I have always seen him in.

He wears the #5 at times for the Czech Republic and #91 in almost every other picture I have seen of him and claims Fedorov was his favorite players.

So if they indeed don't allow him to have #91 he won't really have either number of preference.

Ouellet has worn #16 on pretty much any team he has played on. Both in the Q and on Team Canada.

I think a lot of the Griffins get assigned significant Wings numbers. Both Sheahan and Abdlekader were assigned #19, don't think either guy wore it in College.

Nyquist was assigned Datsyuk's number then Shanahan's number at the.

Brendan Smith wore 7 through College and Grand Rapids, not allowed because it is retired, think they assigned him 2.

But you generally negotiate after the fact.

Curious to see a couple guys numbers this coming season. Jurco has switched to #13 whenever possible, it is open now. Tatar uses #90 in his twitter handle and rocks that number for Slovakia. My guess is he was assigned #21 by the Wings, but will look to lock up #90 if Weiss doesn't ruin that for him or he gets traded.

I do think though that Wings dictate numbers to some of these guys. Not all but some. Once you earn your keep you can request a number change, some guys might make a big enough deal to just start with it that way.

Of course GM Lou over in New Jersey decides all numbers somewhat famously for instance.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist has also used #17 and #26 with Malmö in juniors, #11, #15, #24 with the Swedish junior national teams and #12 in TV-pucken. It seems more like he takes what he gets.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

#16 who?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It's weird that Marchenko speaks slightly better English than Datsyuk and he's been in america for a few weeks total... Datsyuk has been in America, what 12 years? =)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's weird that Marchenko speaks slightly better English than Datsyuk and he's been in america for a few weeks total... Datsyuk has been in America, what 12 years? =)

I remember that was known already when Wings drafted him. Marchenko had studied english and was very interested in moving America. HE could be a special case, that does not prefer his home country like almost all Russians not named Voynov and superstars have done. They knew the guy, because they got the inside info from Fetisov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad