Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

His Beardliness*

Axel Holmström has 2 goals and an assist in half a game so far. Both goals were scored from within the crease. Maybe he is the new Homer.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Ehn 0+1 and 84% on faceoffs in their regular season opener. He's their 1st line center and captain, playing both PP and PK. Looks like he had a great summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in some SHL games since he already got into a few pre-season games.

Great game for Holmström too. I hope he continues to improve and doesn't get stuck on the 4th line. If that happens, I'd rather see him play a big role on loan in the Allsvenskan. His skating stride is kind of similar to Pulkkinen's, needs to work on that.

Janmark didn't register points in their 2-1 win but was 57% on the dot.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think Homer is going anywhere. He's playing PP with Kabanov and Zackrisson. Next step would be to get a bigger role 5v5, but it's a team where every line is contributing.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Ehn 1+0, +/- 0, 6 SOG & 61% on faceoffs in a 2-1 loss.
Melén 0+1, +1 in a 3-2 win.

Brandel*

Caught the 2nd and 3rd period of the Atlant/SKA Moscow game and Kadeykin looked decent in the 3rd. His team got severely outplayed but he looked alright, created a decent chance on a rush in the 3rd. His team barely had any 5 on 5 offensive zone time, so it was tough to evaluate. Looked like one of the best forwards on Atlant in the 3rd.

Ended with ~15 mins TOI, 1 shot and 8/16 on faceoffs

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sniper Mentality: Martin Frk Aims at Becoming a ‘Shoot First Player’

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 8 t
when talking to Frk tonight I asked him why he didn't shoot more. his response "I am an idiot...."

Then Tyler Wright walks by and says "See what happens when you shoot, Marty?"

imo the issue with frk wasn't that he won't shoot, it was that he cant get into good enough positions to shoot, doesn't work hard enough, waits for the play come to him. it worked in juniors with mack and drouin on his line but he's not smart or skilled enough for it to work in pros.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

when talking to Frk tonight I asked him why he didn't shoot more. his response "I am an idiot...."

imo the issue with frk wasn't that he won't shoot, it was that he cant get into good enough positions to shoot, doesn't work hard enough, waits for the play come to him. it worked in juniors with mack and drouin on his line but he's not smart or skilled enough for it to work in pros.

I agree, like Pulkkinen, Frk is blessed with a big time shot, but will need to learn to utilize it better like Teemu did.

For Pulkkinen it was shortening his motion, which he did beautifully, and for Frk it will be to learn how to position himself better.

The good thing is Frk is showing very good playmaking ability, so he can still provide value offensively as he irons out the things he needs to work on.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I tend to agree with you. I think this will also be an issue for Mantha to a certain degree starting out. The "opportunistic sniper" game works in juniors but rarely works in the professional game. Defensemen are too good and all three forwards are needed to support the puck. The pro game just requires a different level of engagement. I hope that this tournament gives Frk some confidence to build upon.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah, same thing with mantha, except mantha is more skilled and smart. he knows where to go and what to do. he should be good NHLer even if he develops nothing else in his game. frk won't be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Just need him to turn into Hull while Datsyuk is still on the team.

2 goats and a kid please.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
http://skellefteaaik.se/artikel/57251/

Can someone who knows Swedish give a brief summary pls???

Nothing too noteworthy. Talks a bit about national team play first, that he's been given a good opportunity there to start the season and he hopes to play in the WJC too. After that more general talk about the step from juniors to men. Working hard and trying to stay consistent now to make the big club, says the players are stronger, you have to be disciplined and there's less room to make plays - players will punish you harder for mistakes and turnovers.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 1 t
Johnson-TOR looked good in first period vs. HV71. Active/fast skater with skill who competes very well. Janmark-DET with good flashes too.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Watched bits of Homer today. He's very very good in tight spaces even at the SHL level and his ability to create room for himself is a great asset for a guy whose skating is rough at best. Definitely promising.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Watched bits of Homer today. He's very very good in tight spaces even at the SHL level and his ability to create room for himself is a great asset for a guy whose skating is rough at best. Definitely promising.

How rough is rough at this stage?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
How rough is rough at this stage?

Rough enough to make him a project, I don't think he'd be very successful right now in the AHL for instance. His stride is in Andersson territory. For now we should be happy with his talent level and maturity, and see how the skating comes along.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He has an awkward stride too, kind of similar to Pulkkinen's at least still a couple of years ago. It's very inefficient even though he works his ass off every shift. Can only imagine how high he had gone in the draft if he had elite skating ability.

Actually played more than Janmark today, 13:44 vs 13:10. No points for any of the kids.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
"Every time he (Mantha) plays he scores," Babcock said. "Every time he plays he's 6-foot-5. Everyone says he's not good defensively; that's not what I see in him. To me he's an elite player and goes faster with the puck than without it, makes great plays, reads plays.

I love this quote from Babs. Almost makes me believe Mantha had a real shot at making the team before his injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad