Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
I've done everyone a favor, and I've assembled a list of players that played for the Wings that no longer call Detroit home, but are still in the NHL. These are the ten men that Kenny will try acquiring.

Code:
Val Filppula
Jiri Hudler
Tomas Kopecky
Matt Ellis
Brad Stuart
Marian Hossa
Patrick Eaves
Carlos Colaiacovo
Jordin Tootoo
David Legwand

There's guys in the AHL and overseas still playing yet, but knowing Kenny - they are the guys!

All sarcasm aside, is Brad Stuart still a quality player? Is he available or worth kicking the tires on to solidify the D?

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I am the opposite. I want ANYBODY at this point. Anybody would be a drastic upgrade over Smith and some people would be an upgrade over Ericksson. I don't care what the price is. Holland has been sitting on his ass for years now. This team is certainly good enough to make a splash in playoffs but not good enough to win, and I wish our GM would actually take steps to help his team. I really don't care if he overpays. As long as he gets something worthwhile.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
I am the opposite. I want ANYBODY at this point. Anybody would be a drastic upgrade over Smith and some people would be an upgrade over Ericksson. I don't care what the price is. Holland has been sitting on his ass for years now. This team is certainly good enough to make a splash in playoffs but not good enough to win, and I wish our GM would actually take steps to help his team. I really don't care if he overpays. As long as he gets something worthwhile.

You are willing to overpay, as you certainly will at the deadline?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Leaning this way too. Let it ride, see how far you go, and see what you've got going into next year.

Either way, it will be an interesting offseason.

Not saying I disagree, but we've been saying this same thing for years now. Id hate to be heading into next season having struck out on the few players that fit our needs once again, having done little more than age at our two most important positions in the off-season, just so we can stockpile middle 6 wingers and middling defenseman.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I feel like we have assets to burn, by keeping them and never trading them we're being counterproductive.

See that's where I have to disagree. I don't feel like we have assets to burn right now because no GM will give us fair value for any of our prospects not named Tatar or Nyquist. Right now the only young guys that might get us a fair return are vital to our future. Guys like Goose, Tats, DK and Sheahan have proven their worth and nobody wants to part with them. It's the second tier guys that need to break through for us to have a surplus to bargain with. We trade Pulks, Jurco, AA, Ouellet, Sproul et al. right now and we're selling low. I consider that far more counterproductive.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I am with you on this one. The D is in desperate need of a shakeup, especially with Q being out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Red Wings offered above market value for each FA they pursued last year, so maybe Wiz has changed his mind.

I remember Chelios saying how he'd never play for us, too. Wisniewski's got his deal, he would probably like to play for the cup once in awhile now.

Not saying I disagree, but we've been saying this same thing for years now. Id hate to be heading into next season having struck out on the few players that fit our needs once again, having done little more than age at our two most important positions in the off-season, just so we can stockpile middle 6 wingers and middling defenseman.

Yeah, I'm in this area, too. I'm not interesting in a middle of the pack move that brings in another Quincey-esque player, but I also don't want to see us not play the guys we have that we keep hearing how ready they are, how good they are, etc. If quincey is out long term, XO should be up and in the lineup every night along with Marchenko.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

If Holland had this attitude the last couple of years, Nyquist and/or Tatar may not be Red Wings right now. Do you want a defenseman if it costs us Mantha and/or Larkin?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You are willing to overpay, as you certainly will at the deadline?

Certainly will? Look at what Vanek went for last year. Arguably less than what we paid for David freaking Legwand. You never know when other teams are going to sour on a trade target, discover they have more pressing needs late in the game, or when a team overvalues your assets. To suggest that deadline acquisitions automatically incur overpayments is far too simplistic a view.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't see Columbus willingly trading Wiz to a team in the same conference unless it's a big overpayment.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Certainly will? Look at what Vanek went for last year. Arguably less than what we paid for David freaking Legwand. You never know when other teams are going to sour on a trade target, discover they have more pressing needs late in the game, or when a team overvalues your assets. To suggest that deadline acquisitions automatically incur overpayments is far too simplistic a view.

Not automatically, but quite often.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad