Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think Wiz would be the perfect fit because he isn't so good that the Jackets should be asking for the moon for him, yet he still obviously pushes guys like Smith, Kindl, (currently) Ericsson, etc. down the line up.

What is his cap hit, though? $5.5m IIRC, though I don't even pretend to know without capgeek anymore. If he is signed for $5.5M then Jackets should either be retaining to get value or else accepting less value than he is worth. That isn't a great contract.

His cap-hit is 5.5M. There's a pretty good site that you can check salaries and cap-hits here : http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I haven't watched wiz for a long time.

At present time has he lost a step?

I know he's good on the pp but is he now still good at completing break out passes and skating it out of the zone? Ie how well presently can he get it safely out of our zone and help our forwards?

Last edited:

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Doubt Wiz wants to play here, considering he was all pissy as a FA about how the Wings don't offer free agents enough money.

Maybe he won't care much anymore since he is already getting the money.
Didn't watch him much lately. Is he a lot better than Petry?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wiz is basically what we all thought Smith could become: a little pesky, offensively talented, and uneven defensively - some nights he looks like a #2 positionally, other nights he looks like a #5. But he's still got that offensive flair either way.

And I actually don't think $5.5M is that bad if he buckles down in Detroit. That's what a guy costs when he can put up .5 from the back-end.

As for his comments about Detroit, that's water under the bridge. The bigger concern is if Columbus wants to gouge us.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him heading back to Anaheim.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Maybe he won't care much anymore since he is already getting the money.
Didn't watch him much lately. Is he a lot better than Petry?

Yeah, if Wiz is still holding that against Detroit years later, then his issues with Detroit go far beyond low-balling FAs.

As for Petry, they're not really comparable players. Petry is, at best, a two way guy, who arguably leans more toward being a defensive defenseman. Doesn't play the game or have the skill that Wiz does. This is a simplification, but Wiz plays more like Kronwall, Petry more like Dekeyser or Quincey.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I don't understand why no one is talking about Coburn though. He's being pretty undervalued by the media and other teams when in reality he's like the perfect piece to pick up for a playoff run. A big guy with tons of experience that can play on the top pairing. not to mention he's a RHD. And it's looking like his value is gonna be lowered due to all the Defensemen available around the league. There isn't much better out there than this guy, I say we go after him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Either that or he'd rather cash in and play for bottom feeders instead of playing for a perennial playoff team for a little less.

It's the trade off he decided to take... and I'm cool with it.

The tactic of getting players to come to a winner for less $ has landed us how many good free agent defenseman over the last 5 years.....?????

barnztormre

Our goley is awsom
Jan 21, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
Another question re: Wiz is does Columbus still have an attitude about making any deals with us now that we're in separate divisions and they have a relatively new GM? (see the Rick Nash "negotiations")

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I don't understand why no one is talking about Coburn though. He's being pretty undervalued by the media and other teams when in reality he's like the perfect piece to pick up for a playoff run. A big guy with tons of experience that can play on the top pairing. not to mention he's a RHD. And it's looking like his value is gonna be lowered due to all the Defensemen available around the league. There isn't much better out there than this guy, I say we go after him.

From what I have read(I know it doesn't hold much weight), Coburn will be only traded for overpayment. They really want to get rid of other Ds they have first.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Cause he's not that great? He plays like Ericsson when E has his head in the clouds. No point in bringing in yet another guy who fits the mold of Ericsson/Quincey.

Rather tyutin than Wiz if possible.

If Tyutin were available, which he isnt, we would probably be outbid. Can't see Holland throwing the requisite assets at a lefty who isnt an elite puck mover,

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Another question re: Wiz is does Columbus still have an attitude about making any deals with us now that we're in separate divisions and they have a relatively new GM? (see the Rick Nash "negotiations")

doubt it. Also, Wisniewski isn't the face of the franchise the way Nash was.

Overclass*

If Tyutin were available, which he isnt, we would probably be outbid. Can't see Holland throwing the requisite assets at a lefty who isnt an elite puck mover,

He actually is, at least according to bobby mac. Not actively being shopped but they are listening

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
To add fuel to the fire :

Wisniewski has a modified no-trade clause in his contract, by which he can list the 10 teams to which he would NOT approve a trade. The Blue Jackets requested that list from Wisniewski last Monday, Feb. 17.

That leaves 19 teams to which Wisniewski can be traded, and two sources told The Dispatch last night that the Blue Jackets are shopping Wisniewski.

He's most likely to get moved this week, then. I thought it was a ''kind of lloking for suitors, but just kicking the tires'' thing, but he's full fledged being traded.

Spitballing here, but maybe Pulkkinen going the other way since he's a Finnish player and Columbus' GM is Finnish too?

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Either that or he'd rather cash in and play for bottom feeders instead of playing for a perennial playoff team for a little less.

It's the trade off he decided to take... and I'm cool with it.

That attitude is bad for the league. It undermines the salary cap and increases the parity between the haves and the have-nots. I'm all for free agents going for the highest bidder

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Red Wings offered above market value for each FA they pursued last year, so maybe Wiz has changed his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad