Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
So here's my question: Cole has a hit of 4 million. Any idea how much room that leave us to land a defenseman? I'm thinking either Toronto would have to retain a LOT of salary, Weiss would have to go, or... I'm just wrong.

Thoughts?

4-5 mil I believe. Had around 9m cap space

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Well...Erik Cole! Mickey was right about them adding a forward with some size.

I don't know how much of a physical presence he will continue to be at his age, but he does have size.

He is productive and will add some depth right away. But I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on him.

I would have been more apt to try out a Phaneuf and Kronwall pairing. If you want physicality, that would be a very punishing duo.

I wonder if there will be any more moves before the deadline by the Wings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So here's my question: Cole has a hit of 4 million. Any idea how much room that leave us to land a defenseman? I'm thinking either Toronto would have to retain a LOT of salary, Weiss would have to go, or... I'm just wrong.

Thoughts?

Khan said Detroit had roughly $9 million in cap space prior to the trade. The thing to keep in mind is salaries are pro-rated so the Wings would not take on his full cap hit. Detroit would be responsible for the 25% ish that is left in the season.

They should be able to afford Phaneuf, particularly if Stephen Weiss is included in the deal. Get the Leafs to also take Kindl off our hands and hell, you can build a statue of Ken Holland inside JLA for all I care (yes, I know JLA will be demolished within a few years :naughty: ).

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
After I saw the article that Holland wanted a forward I thought he might go after Briere for a playoff run. I've read he's available and a good playoff guy. I am kind of meh on Cole but hoping for the best

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Well...Erik Cole! Mickey was right about them adding a forward with some size.

I don't know how much of a physical presence he will continue to be at his age, but he does have size.

He is productive and will add some depth right away. But I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on him.

I would have been more apt to try out a Phaneuf and Kronwall pairing. If you want physicality, that would be a very punishing duo.

I wonder if there will be any more moves before the deadline by the Wings.

I said elsewhere he'd be the 2nd most physical guy on the team after Abby. Just looked at his stats. 116 hits in 57 games. Didn't check everything but I'm pretty sure that's 2nd best behind Abby for forwards. Maybe our D, too.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
After I saw the article that Holland wanted a forward I thought he might go after Briere for a playoff run. I've read he's available and a good playoff guy. I am kind of meh on Cole but hoping for the best

Babcock gave Kenny a list of things he thought we needed in January. I'm betting small and soft weren't on the list. But I'm thinking fast and physical were.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Honestly I wouldn't mind moving the 2015 1st for Phaneuf. Would really put the Wings in excellent position for a Cup the next couple years. It sucks to have so few draft picks in a good draft, but a Cup is worth it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think it was stupid.

Franzen is most likely done. Helm isn't due back for at least 6 weeks. I suppose just call up a prospect and watch them score, MAYBE, 1 goal, as the adjust to the NHL...then the playoffs hit, and you're stuck with prospects in your line up who cannot produce.

What makes this trade even better is that if the Wings are still in the playoff run, and Helm comes back? Detroit got that much more dangerous.

lol where did you hear that?

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Honestly I wouldn't mind moving the 2015 1st for Phaneuf. Would really put the Wings in excellent position for a Cup the next couple years. It sucks to have so few draft picks in a good draft, but a Cup is worth it.

I think there's a player Detroit is eyeing...they are coveting that 1st round pick like it's a high level prospect.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

Then we wouldn't pick until our pick in the 4th round because we traded our third to move up for Turgeon last draft, traded our second for Cole and assume we moved our first for Phaneuf...

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Then we wouldn't pick until our pick in the 4th round because we traded our third to move up for Turgeon last draft, traded our second for Cole and assume we moved our first for Phaneuf...

Yeah but Kronwall + Phaneuf would be a really, really good top pair. I think Phaneuf gets an unnecessary bad reputation and could be worth it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah but Kronwall + Phaneuf would be a really, really good top pair. I think Phaneuf gets an unnecessary bad reputation and could be worth it.

Would anybody have their head down coming through the neutral zone against that duo? That's two guys with a sizable highlight reel of big open ice hits.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Dion could add a lot of grit and toughness to the D. He's not being asked to be the man and could thrive in that situation. We would have excellent dept on D.

Kronwall, Dion, DD, Quincey, Big E, Smith, XO and Marchenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad