Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This thinking blows my mind. Yandle is and will continue to be a 50-60 point d-man. Do you really think a guy we are going to draft in the 16-24 range has a chance to be that level of point producer?

If you look at past drafts it is highly unlikely. The only way you get a proven, high level guy in his prime is to get the other team to believe they will draft a special snowflake with that late first draft pick. The Wings have proven their draft strategy of 2nd-4th round picks who are allowed to slowly develop works just fine.

Athanasiou 4th rounder
Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul 2nd rounders
Jarnkrok 2nd rounder
Pulkkinen 4th rounder
Mrazek 5th rounder
Tatar 2nd rounder
Nyquist 4th rounder
Andersson 3rd rounder
Abdelkader 2nd rounder
Helm 5th rounder
Franzen 3rd rounder
Howard 2nd rounder
Hudler, Fleishchmann 2nd
Filppula 3rd

The idea you build a team around late 1st round picks just isn't supported by the Red Wings draft history. It's the 2-4th rounds where the bulk of the team has been built. Detroit has a 20 year track record where about 50% of first round picks are flat out busts. The idea you are going to get a player better than Yandle is in no way supported by draft history. This is why I cannot understand why people constantly overvlaue a 1st round draft pick over a very good NHL player in his prime. It's insane.

the past draft history isn't that relevant for many reasons, including that the guys on charge of many of those drafts are in dallas now.

we've only had 4 first round picks in 2000s where we can quite comfortably say whether player is a bust or not.

that said, i think most would be willing to give up 1st rounder in that range for player like yandle.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If you put it in that perspective maybe I would do 2015 1st plus and Quellette for Yandle. I would do 2015 1st, quellete, Jurco , and Helm/Miller/Glendenning/Andersson/Kindl for OEL.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Trevor Daly is someone worth mentionning too. Stars are most likely going to miss out on the playoffs, might as well snag him for a deep playoff run. Mentions he plays on the right side, too.

Jurco + for him, any interest?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Haven't seen it discussed much, but Dreger claims we've been kicking the tires for Antoine Vermette. What do you guys make of that?

I think he's going to be a Blackhawk.

Our forward group is plenty good enough IMO. We're not missing Franzen badly enough to go out and put a band-aid over the missing scoring. We have scoring on 3 lines and a good defense line. Good to go.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Wings have a scout at NJ-ARI game tonight

Rich Chere @Ledger_NJDevils 4 hours ago
26 NHL scouts are on press box seating chart for tonight's Devils-Coyotes game. 4 from Flames, 2 from Stars, Detroit, Chi, StL, Isles.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think he's going to be a Blackhawk.

Our forward group is plenty good enough IMO. We're not missing Franzen badly enough to go out and put a band-aid over the missing scoring. We have scoring on 3 lines and a good defense line. Good to go.

Yeah, I can see Vermette filling that Michal Handzus role although he's more of a scorer than Handuz was when he went to Chicago.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings have a scout at NJ-ARI game tonight

Rich Chere @Ledger_NJDevils 4 hours ago
26 NHL scouts are on press box seating chart for tonight's Devils-Coyotes game. 4 from Flames, 2 from Stars, Detroit, Chi, StL, Isles.

With only two games in the league tonight and two more in the New York area tomorrow with arguably three sellers (remains to be seen what Calgary does) the volume of scouts is hardly surprising.

Pro scouts go to a lot of games, this phenomena has spread a little out of control on Twitter. I have been to Griffins vs. Admirals games with 10+ scouts on a slow NHL night in the AHL. By in large most of them were on to Chicago or Minnesota the next night, but the amount of games your typical pro scout sees at both the AHL level and NHL level would stun people.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
With only two games in the league tonight and two more in the New York area tomorrow with arguably three sellers (remains to be seen what Calgary does) the volume of scouts is hardly surprising.

Pro scouts go to a lot of games, this phenomena has spread a little out of control on Twitter. I have been to Griffins vs. Admirals games with 10+ scouts on a slow NHL night in the AHL. By in large most of them were on to Chicago or Minnesota the next night, but the amount of games your typical pro scout sees at both the AHL level and NHL level would stun people.

While this is true, its worth noting that the Wings don't play Arizona or New Jersey again at all this year. And neither are potential playoff match-ups.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While this is true, its worth noting that the Wings don't play Arizona or New Jersey again at all this year. And neither are potential playoff match-ups.

You'd hope your pro scouts are constantly doing their due diligence, even on a slow night like tonight. It's important they know what's going on and stay informed around the league.

Sure wish I had that job, but admittedly, I wouldn't be as good at as they are.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You'd hope your pro scouts are constantly doing their due diligence, even on a slow night like tonight. It's important they know what's going on and stay informed around the league.

Sure wish I had that job, but admittedly, I wouldn't be as good at as they are.

I can assure you that the Wings don't have scouts at every single NHL game, every night. Scouting two teams you likely aren't going to see for another 7 months goes far beyond due diligence. Most teams only have a handful of pro NHL scouts whose job is to specifically scout other NHL teams.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe they just love their job and enjoy free hockey games? It's not like there is anything better going on tonight. No AHL games, no OHL games, no WHL games... etc, etc

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Trevor Daly is someone worth mentionning too. Stars are most likely going to miss out on the playoffs, might as well snag him for a deep playoff run. Mentions he plays on the right side, too.

Jurco + for him, any interest?

Not even a little. Wrong hand, not physical, usually only good for 20 points. His greatest asset was always his skating. His signature move is to carry the puck with big speed into the offensive zone and make it appear he can make a play. Then he'll just skate behind the net, lose the puck, making one of the forwards cover his gaff. Classic Daley.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I mean both NJ and Yotes will probably be selling at the deadline. I am sure our scouts are looking at potential trade targets, in the rare case these players are being available for crumbs.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
We cld probably get him for pennies so I am about it. Although I don't think we should mess with our D at the moment it's sizzling

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm cool with it, I think he was right and we were lowballing ufa's at the time.

Either that or he'd rather cash in and play for bottom feeders instead of playing for a perennial playoff team for a little less.

It's the trade off he decided to take... and I'm cool with it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think Wiz would be the perfect fit because he isn't so good that the Jackets should be asking for the moon for him, yet he still obviously pushes guys like Smith, Kindl, (currently) Ericsson, etc. down the line up.

What is his cap hit, though? $5.5m IIRC, though I don't even pretend to know without capgeek anymore. If he is signed for $5.5M then Jackets should either be retaining to get value or else accepting less value than he is worth. That isn't a great contract.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
This thinking blows my mind. Yandle is and will continue to be a 50-60 point d-man. Do you really think a guy we are going to draft in the 16-24 range has a chance to be that level of point producer?

If you look at past drafts it is highly unlikely. The only way you get a proven, high level guy in his prime is to get the other team to believe they will draft a special snowflake with that late first draft pick. The Wings have proven their draft strategy of 2nd-4th round picks who are allowed to slowly develop works just fine.

Athanasiou 4th rounder
Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul 2nd rounders
Jarnkrok 2nd rounder
Pulkkinen 4th rounder
Mrazek 5th rounder
Tatar 2nd rounder
Nyquist 4th rounder
Andersson 3rd rounder
Abdelkader 2nd rounder
Helm 5th rounder
Franzen 3rd rounder
Howard 2nd rounder
Hudler, Fleishchmann 2nd
Filppula 3rd

The idea you build a team around late 1st round picks just isn't supported by the Red Wings draft history. It's the 2-4th rounds where the bulk of the team has been built. Detroit has a 20 year track record where about 50% of first round picks are flat out busts. The idea you are going to get a player better than Yandle is in no way supported by draft history. This is why I cannot understand why people constantly overvlaue a 1st round draft pick over a very good NHL player in his prime. It's insane.

I think Yandle is more of a 40-50 point d man! He may score 60 points once or twice but that is it, IMO! The Wings know how to draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00