Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 3m3 minutes ago
The 2016 first-round pick NYR sent to ARI is lottery-protected, so if the team misses the playoffs they can elect to slide it a year

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Yandle to the Rangers scares me. That defense just stepped up. Our first round match with Tampa is uphill as is. I cant tell if im more excited or nervous for tomorrow:cry:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Phaneuf the second pairing D-man doesn't scare me a great deal to be honest. Never liked him a ton, but he isn't as awful as a lot of the board makes him out to be. What he would asked to do here would be very different. He would provide tremendous physical bite and hopefully our players hockey IQ's would be good enough to avoid his friendly fire.

It is all price though. Hopefully they would eat some salary, or take two contracts we don't like in Weiss and Kindl before a couple assets.

Honestly I would be surprised if they shipped Dion to us. We are rivals and he is the kind of guy that would stick it to them for his stay in Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For the record Jack Johnson is probably the worst for me here. It isn't backed up by anything substantial other than I like the player. I don't think people should get in line with me here. I actually know it is a completely imperfect argument.

But LA used to be my late game team, before they turned into a juggernaut and I felt guilty in a way for treating them like my second NHL team. I did this because Kopitar and Johnson are two of my five favorite non-wings players in the league.

It can come off as super hypocritical especially with as down as I have been on Yandle, I just like the player. I also think he brings physicality and plays in all situations unlike Yandle with a flexibility to both sides. I usually pride myself in trying to argue objectively the hockey finer points. I will not pretend to do so with Jack Johnson other than to say I am a fan, I hope we could get the best of him on the second pairing. I think he would be a strong post-season performer, but he is a heart player for me and my brain does disagree with that a lot. His points of defense though are not what he has shown, he has disappointed and teased to this point in his career, no denying that.

Maybe it isn't a surprise he is being classified as a glorified version of Smith, a player I am also very stubborn to give up on.

Like I said, I don't think you have to justify it. I like plenty of players with warts to their game, or even for reasons other than their play (guys from my home town, guys I've met who are stand-up guys)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So what is everyone's breaking point for the following players:

Zidlicky (mine is 2nd 2015)
Petry (mine is 2nd 2015 + prospect)

I guess we can include Phaneuf too, but harder to pinpoint value due to the possibility of salary retention, etc.

I really don't see the point in trading for either player, Zidlicky helps with the power play and nothing else(our PP is probably the best thing about our team at the moment) and while I like Petry, I'd rather him replace Quincey or someone and not Marchenko/Ouellet.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Phaneuf the second pairing D-man doesn't scare me a great deal to be honest. Never liked him a ton, but he isn't as awful as a lot of the board makes him out to be. What he would asked to do here would be very different. He would provide tremendous physical bite and hopefully our players hockey IQ's would be good enough to avoid his friendly fire.

Providing it doesn't cost a lot, our team with Phaneuf is a lot better than without, sure.

It is all price though. Hopefully they would eat some salary, or take two contracts we don't like in Weiss and Kindl before a couple assets.

Honestly I would be surprised if they shipped Dion to us. We are rivals and he is the kind of guy that would stick it to them for his stay in Detroit.

Yeah, I agree with both of these things.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I really don't see the point in trading for either player, Zidlicky helps with the power play and nothing else(our PP is probably the best thing about our team at the moment) and while I like Petry, I'd rather him replace Quincey or someone and not Marchenko/Ouellet.

He wouldn't be replacing them. A Petry trade makes the most sense with Smith being removed from the lineup (hopefully as part of the trade). Then you keep DeQuincey intact and split Kronner and E and have them pair up with Petry or Marchenko on the right. No sure-thing #1 pairing, but three solid #2 pairings.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I believe that at the current junction of Dats and Z's career, Holland needs to go all in. I am not as high on the future as many people here are. Who knows, if D and Z are going to be healthy next year. Who knows if they are going to be elite next year. Luck plays a role in every cup run. I'd rather not chalk up my chances to luck though. That's a BS cop out from Holland.

Of course Holland knows more than me when it comes to being an NHL GM. I am not naive enough to think otherwise. There comes a time though when Holland either needs to **** or get off the pot. It's been 7 years since we Won a cup. Hopefully Holland isn't living off those past accomplishments. I wouldn't want my GM doing that.

Dats and Z are basically done in 2 years, and I believe that when those two go, so do our Cup chances. Detroit has nice talent, but no suitable D, Z, or Kronwall replacements (maybe Larkin replaces one of D or Z).

My view differs from yours, in that I don't believe Detroit gets a say about who comes out of the East. That title belongs to NYR, TB, or MTL.

Neither of those teams scare.

Every time we play them the minds of our players are somewhere else; in some kind of la la land.

They're good teams, but you're way over-exaggerating the 'greatness' of those teams. They're not nearly as good as when Chicago or LA were when they won their respective cups. Their goaltending is good, but sometimes that isn't enough to make them clear favorites that you have deemed them to be.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
lol, i'm an idiot. I can't read.

Fantasy hockey version of me was worried for a minute, but I thought I saw him out there just as I read your post. :laugh:

They have him playing the right side with Regher on his left (Buffalo chemistry, I guess?) He has looked awkward there today tbh.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Teams are in different situations. NYR are in a win now mode with MSL and past couple trips to SC finals. Wings are in a very unique situation where they are trying to rebuild on the fly. If Z and Dats were in their 20s, there's no doubt Holland would have gone for Myers.

I hope this doesn't make Holland itchy to pull the trigger on Phaneuf.

1) Phaneuf has a lot of nicknames in toronto and none of them are good ones. He can add some muscle to our D but that's about where contribution will end. He is not an offensive D man Leafs mouth pieces are trying to portray him as. He makes incredibly stupid reads at most critical time and it will not be fixed. You have to remember that he is the main part of the problem Leafs are trying to fix. Plus I'm not sure how his personality will fit in to our lockerroom.

2) He is simply not worth the asking price. Not anywhere near. If he doesn't come at cap around $5 mil per, it will be a trade that could get Holland in a hot seat and possibly get fired down the road. It's that stupid.

3) Wings and Leafs make a bad trading partner. Leafs need to score BIG with him. And they are looking foward to. Wings need to get him cheap because of rebuild. I dont see it happening unless they put something in Holland's water between now and Monday.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He wouldn't be replacing them. A Petry trade makes the most sense with Smith being removed from the lineup (hopefully as part of the trade). Then you keep DeQuincey intact and split Kronner and E and have them pair up with Petry or Marchenko on the right. No sure-thing #1 pairing, but three solid #2 pairings.

That would be fine with me too, but The only way I'd use assets for Petry is if someone like Smith went the other way.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
With all due respect Yemack, every single player on the Leafs has a bad reputation. Fans/media have been calling for Phaneuf, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Kadri etc... to be traded. The players aren't bad on their own, they're on a bad team. Look at Tyler Myers, he seems to be contributing just fine on a non-awful team. Phaneuf has a crappy contract, but he'd be a big upgrade on this team.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Teams are in different situations. NYR are in a win now mode with MSL and past couple trips to SC finals. Wings are in a very unique situation where they are trying to rebuild on the fly. If Z and Dats were in their 20s, there's no doubt Holland would have gone for Myers.

I hope this doesn't make Holland itchy to pull the trigger on Phaneuf.

1) Phaneuf has a lot of nicknames in toronto and none of them are good ones. He can add some muscle to our D but that's about where contribution will end. He is not an offensive D man Leafs mouth pieces are trying to portray him as. He makes incredibly stupid reads at most critical time and it will not be fixed. You have to remember that he is the main part of the problem Leafs are trying to fix. Plus I'm not sure how his personality will fit in to our lockerroom.

2) He is simply not worth the asking price. Not anywhere near. If he doesn't come at cap around $5 mil per, it will be a trade that could get Holland in a hot seat and possibly get fired down the road. It's that stupid.

3) Wings and Leafs make a bad trading partner. Leafs need to score BIG with him. And they are looking foward to. Wings need to get him cheap because of rebuild. I dont see it happening unless they put something in Holland's water between now and Monday.

It depends on the team's culture. Leafs are losers for 2 decades so their players suck..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Arizona Coyotes ‏@ArizonaCoyotes 7 mins7 minutes ago Boston, MA

Don Maloney on trade: "We're resetting this team. We're gaining assets that in 3, 4, 5 years will put us in position to win the Stanley Cup"

Good to know.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I don't see the point in getting a guy like Zidlicky or Petry. Marchenko has fit really nicely. Having either of those 3 doesn't really "push us up" the contender list to be honest. It'd be a lateral move to give up a pick or prospect.

Phaneuf I think we could use. He's on a BAD Toronto team. He's big, he's physical, and has a big shot.

Phaneuf or no one for me right now. Making a lateral move that won't make or break the playoffs is pointless.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Arizona Coyotes ‏@ArizonaCoyotes 7 mins7 minutes ago Boston, MA

Don Maloney on trade: "We're resetting this team. We're gaining assets that in 3, 4, 5 years will put us in position to win the Stanley Cup"

Good to know.

And Yandle will sign with the Wings next year.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
With all due respect Yemack, every single player on the Leafs has a bad reputation. Fans/media have been calling for Phaneuf, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Kadri etc... to be traded. The players aren't bad on their own, they're on a bad team. Look at Tyler Myers, he seems to be contributing just fine on a non-awful team. Phaneuf has a crappy contract, but he'd be a big upgrade on this team.

yes you are right, Leafs media are crazy and their fans have no objectivity at all. Which I know very well because I live here. Just talk to any leafs fan for a minute and you just know how delusional and out of touch with realities they are.

however I've been following Phaneuf closer than some of you guys are because I'm forced to watch him on multiple occasions.

He is not a D man to trust when you are defending 1 goal lead in a playoff game. He has a fundamental flaws at reading play at most ill opportune times and I dont think he's really that coachable player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad