Red Wings at the Deadline III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't agree. That team had too many bad contracts to ever justify giving away more assets, if anything I wish we wouldve went with the youth movement sooner. The differecne between 2011 Datsyuk and 2015 Datsyuk isn't as big as people make it, nor Z, they are still very good players, and will be next year. We are in a good spot, even when D and Z retire, I really doubt we wont be competitive. Too much young talent. If anything, the time is now. Are old stars are still good enough to be stars, and our youth are now mature enough to contribute. Additionally, we have a surplus of prospects, some will have to be let go, there is not enough room. If there ever was a time for a trade, it is this season or the next.

The season after Rafalski retired the team had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Kronwall on the roster and rather than make a move Holland sat on nearly $10M of cap space and signed Ian White off the scrap heap. Instead of going for it Holland elected to wait it out, signed stopgaps like Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, White, Commodore, Salei, Colaiacovo, etc. rather than make an impactful trade. Why would he go for it now that the team is worse?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The season after Rafalski retired the team had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Kronwall on the roster and rather than make a move Holland sat on nearly $10M of cap space and signed Ian White off the scrap heap. Instead of going for it Holland elected to wait it out, signed stopgaps like Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, White, Commodore, Salei, Colaiacovo, etc. rather than make an impactful trade. Why would he go for it now that the team is worse?

He actually pursued free agents appropriately this summer, like he should have back then, so he may be changing his approach a little. If not, he could certainly stand to be more aggressive.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

He didn't have any assets to make a blockbuster deal. You can't prepare for a player like Rafalski abruptly retiring a year before his contract runs out.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This year is a bit different, IMO. There dont look to be any infallible teams this year. The "best" team - Nashville - has never really been around the block. All the other "contenders" last year haven't improved much or have gotten worse.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He didn't have any assets to make a blockbuster deal. You can't prepare for a player like Rafalski abruptly retiring a year before his contract runs out.

The guy playing with no cartilage in his knees? And a shot back? Don't think that was a shocker or anything, by any stretch.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He actually pursued free agents appropriately this summer, like he should have back then, so he may be changing his approach a little. If not, he could certainly stand to be more aggressive.

Even still, it seemed like he was looking to sign players to shorter-term contracts (Boyle for 3 years, wanted Stralman but wouldn't offer him a deal with term, I think Niskanen is the only one that he reportedly offered close to what he signed for)

He seems very focused on getting this next wave of players onto the team to me, even if it means missing out on better players today. I'm assuming if he makes a trade before 3pm tomorrow it will be for a pick and long shot prospect.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
They are better than us. Last time I checked that's all that matters. Who cares how great one perceives them to be. They are better than us, and it will be proven as so when we get bounced in 5 or 6 games by Tampa in a 2 months.

Agree to disagree then, lol.

I don't think they're much better. Imo, even grounds minus Price for MTL.

Believe what you want, but I'll believe in the promise this team has shown all season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The guy playing with no cartilage in his knees? And a shot back? That wasn't forseeable?

He had 48 points in 63 games during the regular season in his final year. If I recall correctly it wasn't until the playoffs rolled around that his injuries finally caught up to him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He had 48 points in 63 games during the regular season in his final year. If I recall correctly it wasn't until the playoffs rolled around that his injuries finally caught up to him.

My point was, I think the Wings knew of how bad his health was, probably more than we all did.

Also have all the respect in the world for him for not just limping through and picking up a paycheck, when his body and heart wasn't in it. Class act.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Reading between the lines, it kind of sounds like Holland is saying to some other GMs: we don't need to trade with you. So if you want to let these guys walk as UFAs, we can do that. But if you want to be reasonable, we can deal.

and then it also sounds like Holland is mentally preparing fans for him to do nothing.

I read that whole article as, "We like our team." Whether that is a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen, though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
My point was, I think the Wings knew of how bad his health was, probably more than we all did.

Also have all the respect in the world for him for not just limping through and picking up a paycheck, when his body and heart wasn't in it. Class act.

Well, whatever, it's not like players of Rafalski hit free agency anymore. The best you'll get are guys like Niskanen or Wisniewski.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I'm pretty sure that was the summer that Burns was had for Coyle + pick IIRC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the timing. I think we could've come up with something similar, that package was pretty good at the time because of Coyle's hype, but I feel like we could've come up with something.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm pretty sure that was the summer that Burns was had for Coyle + pick IIRC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the timing. I think we could've come up with something similar, that package was pretty good at the time because of Coyle's hype, but I feel like we could've come up with something.

1st + coyle + seto for burns + 2nd.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Babcock certainly seemed disappointed by the lack of move.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Kick those tires, kick them right good.

Then tell us how much you like the team and how Zetterberg will be our trade deadline pick up.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
MTL is a problem, especially with the way Price is playing.

However, Tampa and NYR I am not as high on.

Bishop isn't a goalie I believe in and quite frankly Tampa isn't playing very good hockey here lately in my opinion. Their Special Teams play has been quite poor to date. I think we can beat them, especially if we manage to get home ice for that series and get to dictate matchups. Though additions tomorrow/tonight could change that.

The Rangers are interesting. I think McDonagh is turning it around but he has been off this year to his normally impressive standards. I don't love their forward group and I think Rick Nash will go missing again when it counts which is a big problem for that team. Plus it is worth noting Lundqvist has been a very slow starter the last two years. Should he come back from injury he will have been out a lengthy time, if he cannot get it on track in a hurry they will be in big trouble. To be honest I dislike them the most in terms of the Atlantic, I think one of the other three teams will dispatch New York before we have to become super concerned with them.

I see we agree on MTL.

When it comes to TB and NYR I disagree. Of course Detroit has a shot against any of those teams, MTl included. I also think Howard is better than Bishop. I think that besides goalie, TB has an advantage everywhere else. They are one of the few teams that have a better offense than us. I think there Defense is better as well. Their forecheck is going to eat us alive. Stamkos isn't going to be as quiet (relatively) as he has been during the regular season. Special teams in the playoff is a crap shoot. I'm more worried about our special teams once the playoffs get under way. Detroit basically lives and dies by their PP and less and less are called during the PO's. Our ES GF is horrendous especially for a playoff team. These are things that worry me.

When it comes to NYR, their defense and goaltending are impressive. Lundy is going to elevate his game for the playoffs like he always does. The Rangers are a fast team with a good forecheck. Why a series may be close, I give the Rags an advantage due to their D and goaltending.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Agree to disagree then, lol.

I don't think they're much better. Imo, even grounds minus Price for MTL.

Believe what you want, but I'll believe in the promise this team has shown all season.

Yes, agree to disagree. :)

In the end, I hope it's you who is right and me who is wrong. I just don't see it that way, unfortunately.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really hate these stupid fake accounts on twitter during TDL and free agency.

Wish people wouldn't do that stupid, worthless ****.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
1st + coyle + seto for burns + 2nd.

Right, and the resounding response seemed to be that while Seto was nice, he likely wasn't as good as Thornton made him look (very astute looking back now) and moving up for the late 1st was nice, Coyle was a guy that the Wild really coveted and Sharks fans seemed really sad to see him go.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Right, and the resounding response seemed to be that while Seto was nice, he likely wasn't as good as Thornton made him look (very astute looking back now) and moving up for the late 1st was nice, Coyle was a guy that the Wild really coveted and Sharks fans seemed really sad to see him go.

At the time of the deal, Seto was still considered a good player. The problem is, Detroit didn't have a compareable player that Minnesota wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad