Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well, I bit the bullet and bought it, downloading now so maybe I'll get to play Thursday lol. Any early game tips or is the beginning three hour tutorial pretty straightforward and you can't deviate from it much?
The first act is a straight-forward tutorial that you can't really deviate from. But my tips would be:
-Don't fret about money too much. There are plenty of ways to make some coin. And the story missions provide most of the weapons you'll need if you can't afford to buy them. Most people recommend not even buying weapons, but I've bought a few.

- I'd recommend doing the "Stranger" encounters as you come across them. They're mostly entertaining stories and it gives you a good sense of the level that Rockstar has gone to make this an immersive world.

-I think my biggest tip would be to just enjoy the game as you want. Soak it all in. There are plenty of tiny little things that make the world of this game special. I've dumped a few dozen hours into this game already and I'm barely even through the storyline. I've just been exploring and hunting and things of that nature and it's been amazing. lol.

So I finished hunting all the gunslingers yesterday and when I was going after the Mexican one (Fernandez?) in the Western Grizzles I came across some wicked aspects. First, where the white Arabian horse is, I saw a grizzly bear on the lake eating an elk while a pack of wolves were trying to get some chow. The bear stood on his two feet and scared them away, that was awesome. I then wanted to head back to Adler's Ranch just to see what's up and on the way there, there was a couple who were sadly frozen to death by a snowstorm holding a map - detail tiny stuff like that makes this game amazing.

Curious question, how do you guys know the difference between a three-star pelt and a legendary animal? There was an Elk with massive horns in the mountains who had three-stars and I tried to hunt it, but it went beyond the game boundary. Then, I saw a three-star ram and got him instead.
I think the thing you mention about the bear and wolves is a little thing that is what makes this game great. There are so many tiny things like this that all come together to form such a deep immersive experience. You could probably play the game for 50 hours and never run into something like that.

Also, to answer your question. the Legendary animals will not appear until you have started to track them(99% sure on this). They're also typically MUCH bigger and tend to have light/white fur. They will also actually have "Legendary" in their name as well.

One of the Rhodes sheriff missions.

Dutch: don’t worry sheriff we can take this illegal moonshine and dispose of it accordingly.

Sheriff: well I usually take the contraband myself for personal consumption but okay

Love the writing. It’s way, way toned down from GTA, but it’s so much better for it.
I just did that mission last night, lol hilarious. As they say, Art imitates life. And I'm sure that happened in nearly ever moonshine bust back in 1899, lol.

I agree about the writing, I think them toning it down in relation to GTA was perfect. There's not quite as much ridiculousness. The game still has a lot of whacky moments (usually in stranger encounters), but the main mission dialogue is awesome without feeling gimmicky like GTA does at times.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So the main complaint is the clunky controls. Is it worse than The Witcher 3 when it was released? Because I could overlook it pretty easily if it’s comparable.

I think it's similar to the original Witcher 3 minor issues. In RDR2, it's annoying at times (particularly when trying to loot things, and especially when trying to loot things quickly before the law finds you), but not experience ruining by any means IMO.

The only other time I notice it is when it becomes difficult to stick to cover on occasion.

Which view does everyone use? First or third?

Definitely third, but I use third in anything when it's available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
3rd person. The only time I ever switch to 1st person view mode is when I'm playing card games, it just makes it easier to look at your cards and adds a bit to the aesthetic.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I just saw another KKK scenario that they were trying to tilt up the cross and it falls on the members crushing them. Lol.
The game should be played in all views honestly. I've seen myself play missions in first person and in third person. However, I tend to play majority of the time, especially on horseback in the 2nd third-person view. I dislike how really tiny almost minuscule movements on horseback turn into wide range turns when you're in first person. But I love walking around in camp and in any city in first person because you tend to move faster than in third person and get the atmosphere of the place. Gameplay is 50/50 for me, it's easier to shoot in first person, but you can see where the enemies are coming from in third person.

An aspect which I consider sort of frustrating is that the first couple of guns you get will suck, my recommendation is to try and save up money and progress enough to buy the Springfield rifle. Additionally, once you reach Valentine, go to the back of the Doctors house to uncover something strange and then hold up the doctor to let you in the backroom. There, you can rob them for a really powerful revolver, but it sounds like there is a glitch that a couple of guns you recover tend to disappear (not sure how wide spread this glitch is though).

I think the thing you mention about the bear and wolves is a little thing that is what makes this game great. There are so many tiny things like this that all come together to form such a deep immersive experience. You could probably play the game for 50 hours and never run into something like that.

Also, to answer your question. the Legendary animals will not appear until you have started to track them(99% sure on this). They're also typically MUCH bigger and tend to have light/white fur. They will also actually have "Legendary" in their name as well.
Thanks a bunch man! The bayou is crazy place when it comes to hunting animals; you got crocks, snakes, and just a bunch of really tiny animals like frogs. Snakes are insane to shoot now, they move so fast that it's hard to get an auto-lock shot on them besides even trying to line a perfect shot to not damage the pelt.

Another question, do the legendary animals appear on the map by any chance? I was reviewing my map and in one of the forests I saw a Bison that had a halo on it, is that one of the legendary animals?

Story-wise gentlemen, I began Chapter IV last night and each camp we setup is as cool as the last one was, though I will miss Clemens Cove and the boat I bought for the camp.

Well the gold bar glitch at Limbany definitely worked. I got myself over $30K from that.
Not that I want to do it, but how do you do it?

still having trouble getting 3 perfect rabbit pelts

driving me nuts
I ALWAYS in all caps use dead-eye when I shoot a perfect pelt. I haven't hunted rabbits yet so perhaps it is difficult, but try using the "human scent" tonic to get rid of your scent so you can get closer.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I’m trying hard not to read any of the other KKK stories. Only seen one so far.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks a bunch man! The bayou is crazy place when it comes to hunting animals; you got crocks, snakes, and just a bunch of really tiny animals like frogs. Snakes are insane to shoot now, they move so fast that it's hard to get an auto-lock shot on them besides even trying to line a perfect shot to not damage the pelt.

Another question, do the legendary animals appear on the map by any chance? I was reviewing my map and in one of the forests I saw a Bison that had a halo on it, is that one of the legendary animals?

I ALWAYS in all caps use dead-eye when I shoot a perfect pelt. I haven't hunted rabbits yet so perhaps it is difficult, but try using the "human scent" tonic to get rid of your scent so you can get closer.
I love the Bayou around the Lagras area. It's such a rich environment. Like you said, so many different types of animals to hunt.

Also, yes the Legendary animals do appear on the in-game map after you enter their area. You will get a notification that says "you have entered legendary animal territory" and then the animal will appear with a little crown over its head. Same for Legendary fish.

Some of you really take the hunting challenges seriously.

Here I am hunting for the meat and ignoring the challenges altogether. :laugh:
I've been going after all of the hunting challenges and it's been a good time. I'm level 7 Master Hunter right now.

I've also been putting together outfits from the Trapper from taking out legendary animals and some of the pieces of clothing are pretty great.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Last few missions of Chapter 3 were fun. Bought the Black Arabian horse in the beginning of Chapter 4 so I don't have to worry about that anymore. Looks cooler than the other one too.

Zobitembois

Devilsfanindisguise
Jan 25, 2011
still having trouble getting 3 perfect rabbit pelts

driving me nuts

Go to a gun store, there's a rifle with the only purpose of killing small animals ( can't tell you how the rifle is called as I play the french version).
Use the deadeye and headshot the rabbits, you'll have perfect pelts.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Tried getting the Arabian in the northwest Flaco area. Lassoed (sp?) It once...a tree broke my grip on him. Wouldn't spawn again for an hour . Went back south till I saw grass, went back. Wolves spooked it. I tracked it...then suddenly it started tracking a random caribou instead . Lost it...

Wouldn't spawn again.

Didn't restart from save point , because I killed white Buffalo as well in the middle of all this.

Tried going back home through blackwater ...lost 500$ being killed by bounty hunters.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lol i stole a prison wagon after rescuing a lady from possible wrong imprisonment and they wouldnt take it

yeah I did the same thing, I got the prison wagon so far away from the wagon fence it took me forever to get there, I get there and the guy says "I cant take that, get it out of here" makes sense why but I rode it so f***ing far I was so annoyed

Reactions: tacogeoff

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Anyone do the side-mission encounter in Lemoyne where couple invites you in for dinner? I just did it last night and it was hilarious.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I went to go confront a robbery in progress of a train by some bandits and I interevened, I got one shotted in the head and died. What the hell what a badass gang I guess. :laugh:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Tried getting the Arabian in the northwest Flaco area. Lassoed (sp?) It once...a tree broke my grip on him. Wouldn't spawn again for an hour . Went back south till I saw grass, went back. Wolves spooked it. I tracked it...then suddenly it started tracking a random caribou instead . Lost it...

Wouldn't spawn again.

Didn't restart from save point , because I killed white Buffalo as well in the middle of all this.

Tried going back home through blackwater ...lost 500$ being killed by bounty hunters.

Don't even waste your time on it. Beginning of Chapter 4 you can buy the black one for 1k.

Anyone do the side-mission encounter in Lemoyne where couple invites you in for dinner? I just did it last night and it was hilarious.

How did that end for you? :sarcasm:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I did but I didn't go through with their game, I had my way with them before things got as weird as I expect they would have been had I sat down to eat with them.

The real question is did anyone here find the guy in the Bayou who has his way with you? It makes sense that something like that was referenced in the game but they went about it the most intense way possible.

Chapter 6 has a TON of quests, it's a bit silly. That is two evenings in a row I sit down thinking "well time to finish this" and more quests keep popping up.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
How did that end for you? :sarcasm:
Well, let's just say, things started to get pretty weird, and that encounter has the funniest moment I've seen in this game so far, lol. Arthur's face is absolutely priceless.

I did but I didn't go through with their game, I had my way with them before things got as weird as I expect they would have been had I sat down to eat with them.

The real question is did anyone here find the guy in the Bayou who has his way with you? It makes sense that something like that was referenced in the game but they went about it the most intense way possible.
Lmao, I had an idea of what they were trying to do before I went in, but as I've seen in Rockstar games, if you go along with the line that they string along it's almost always worth it. lol.

Oh shit, no I want to find that guy though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A tip I learned, or well, probably didn't read somewherei n the game is if you use bows/tomahawks/throwing knives to kill people and animals it ups your health XP. I need to up that since I am terrible at getting into gang shootouts.

I try to hide behind a rock and jam R1 and I just stand there getting shot like a goddamn idiot! :D

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Should a beginner do some main quests and get some decent guns before going out and hunting and all that stuff? I'm supposed to ignore Uncle as he causes the bug, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad