Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I've seen countless rabbits while playing this game and when I actually need to hunt them for my satchel upgrade, they become ghosts. All a guy needs are perfect rabbit pelts, but mother nature isn't putting out. Prude.

I also added the bandolier last night and my OCD decided to have none of it, so I had to load an earlier save file to correct the issue.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Wasn't there something in the hunting tutorial that if you use the Varmint rifle it leaves less damage to the pelt due to a smaller entry wound which would give you a better pelt status?

Each species has a specific weapon type to use and in some cases also ammo type to use to keep the pelt perfect.

Look at animal, verify it is already 3 stars. Click Show Info (R1 on PS4) it will tell you some info, but the last sentence shows the weapon needed. For the most part its, large animals need scoped rifles, medium need rifles, small need varmint rifle, very small need Bow with small game ammo equipped. Worse part about hunting is travelers coming along and scaring them off.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'm honestly a bit torn on some of the "realism" in this game.

On the one hand, I absolutely love how the horse inventory works, the hunting, etc. Just riding around is good fun too. They gave it a dash of realism without treading too far into the realm of inconvenience, with a few exceptions.

On the other, sometimes those rides with very little interruption can get a tad boring over multiple longer trips during longer play sessions. :laugh: I think the option of an easier fast travel (like a cut scene on the horse like they use during some missions rather than having to ride for 10 minutes) would've been a nice touch without really taking away anything.

My wife often enjoys watching me play games, but this one bores her to tears (only partially because I play the minigames).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
**** lol. well now I know for next time

I encountered a stagecoach about to get robbed and killed the robbers and the driver said he's gonna file this as a robbery, go home and told me to grab whatever I wanted from the lockbox. I searched google a bit about a lock pick but then decided to try and shoot it open and lo and behold. :laugh: There wasn't much in it though.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've been doing a combination of side missions like bounties, strangers, and main missions to prolong the game for me - I believe I am close to the end of Chapter III (did the Grey and Brathwaite missions side by side). So far my favourite has been tracking down the gunslingers.

I haven't been hunting too much because I don't know what to honestly do, but would like to start because the trapper has some awesome outfits I want to get. What are the best ways of getting perfect pelts? I read one site where it says to lasso the animal and knife it which gives you a perfect, but I did that and all it has been is "good" every time.
Study every single animal species that you come across. Whenever you are locked on to an animal that you've studied before you can press R1/RB and it will give you info and a descriptor for that animal. For example "American Red Fox - Pristine" will yield a perfect pelt whenever you kill it in the proper way. In the "Info" section it will also tell you the way to kill the animal that will preserve the pelt. The compendium information will always tell you how to preserve the pelt. If you kill the animal in the improper way you will almost always get a "Poor" Pelt.

Legendary Tip: You can kill the legendary animals in any manner and you will always receive the perfect pelt.

Reactions: S E P H

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

On the one hand, I absolutely love how the horse inventory works, the hunting, etc. Just riding around is good fun too. They gave it a dash of realism without treading too far into the realm of inconvenience, with a few exceptions.

On the other, sometimes those rides with very little interruption can get a tad boring over multiple longer trips during longer play sessions. :laugh: I think the option of an easier fast travel (like a cut scene on the horse like they use during some missions rather than having to ride for 10 minutes) would've been a nice touch without really taking away anything.

My wife often enjoys watching me play games, but this one bores her to tears (only partially because I play the minigames).

This problem is compounded by the lack of meaningful progression. Once you have lots of cash there is nothing to do except progress the story so there's a whole lot of waiting around.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I've seen countless rabbits while playing this game and when I actually need to hunt them for my satchel upgrade, they become ghosts. All a guy needs are perfect rabbit pelts, but mother nature isn't putting out. Prude.

I also added the bandolier last night and my OCD decided to have none of it, so I had to load an earlier save file to correct the issue.
You can remove the bandolier for a better aesthetic while keeping the bonus of an improved bandolier. If you go into the wardrobe menu and scroll down to "Equipment/Weapon Options" (can't remember the exact title). I've removed it on all of my outfits except for one.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

I agree with you here, to an extent. I've done quite a lot of lengthy hunting/fishing trips and it can get kind of tiresome running back and forth from hunting/fishing spots back to the trapper. But for me, it's usually just the right distance that makes you feel as though you went on an actual expedition, but not so far that you feel like you're playing a Horse-riding simulator.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
You can remove the bandolier for a better aesthetic while keeping the bonus of an improved bandolier. If you go into the wardrobe menu and scroll down to "Equipment/Weapon Options" (can't remember the exact title). I've removed it on all of my outfits except for one.

Can you do that with the satchel??

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can you do that with the satchel??

Without the satchel you wouldn't be able to have anything except your weapons!

It's not a man purse, it's European.

EDIT: unless you mean "does unlocking a satchel mean I can get the bonus without carrying it" then the answer is yes. If you unlock a satchel, all satchels will get the bonus.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I agree with you here, to an extent. I've done quite a lot of lengthy hunting/fishing trips and it can get kind of tiresome running back and forth from hunting/fishing spots back to the trapper. But for me, it's usually just the right distance that makes you feel as though you went on an actual expedition, but not so far that you feel like you're playing a Horse-riding simulator.

For me, it goes a little too long.

I've also had it twice now where I've picked up a nice elk pelt, but then had to leave it behind to help someone on the side of the road. :laugh:

This problem is compounded by the lack of meaningful progression. Once you have lots of cash there is nothing to do except progress the story so there's a whole lot of waiting around.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you think you've put in to get to that point?

I feel like an idiot for asking, but is there a way to pick up multiple guns? For example, I did the gunslinger quest and wanted to pick up a certain pistol, but it would only let me trade it for my revolver which I didn't want to do....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Out of curiosity, how many hours do you think you've put in to get to that point?

I'd say that once the O_O wears off (which was after three days for me) it quickly started to feel like a grind. I'm not the kind of guy who can "get into" story and presentation, I want meaningful gameplay.

Look at games like Arkham Knight: open world but you unlock a lot of stuff as you progress, making progressing the story meaningful. In RDR2 you get nothing for progressing story except money which you don't needwhatsoever. It is a real bummer for someone like me, it makes progressing the story such a damn drag.

I feel like an idiot for asking, but is there a way to pick up multiple guns? For example, I did the gunslinger quest and wanted to pick up a certain pistol, but it would only let me trade it for my revolver which I didn't want to do....

You cannot but every single weapon you own will forever be on your horse (except for bugs, I lost my Schofield at one point). So even if you drop a unique gun to pick up another weapon, you don't lose it.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'd say that once the O_O wears off (which was after three days for me) it quickly started to feel like a grind. I'm not the kind of guy who can "get into" story and presentation, I want meaningful gameplay.

Look at games like Arkham Knight: open world but you unlock a lot of stuff as you progress, making progressing the story meaningful. In RDR2 you get nothing for progressing story except money which you don't needwhatsoever. It is a real bummer for someone like me, it makes progressing the story such a damn drag.

Gotcha. I was thinking maybe you had done all the exploring and side stuff.

So far I'm still firmly in the "O_O" stage. :laugh:

Mind you, I'm the type to enjoy a good narrative focused game, so the story will no doubt hold me.

You cannot but every single weapon you own will forever be on your horse (except for bugs, I lost my Schofield at one point). So even if you drop a unique gun to pick up another weapon, you don't lose it.

Ah, I see.

I picked it up, but dropped it again because I realized I had zero pistol ammo.

Also, maybe just a personal thing, but if I'm playing a western themed game, I want a revolver and a lever action rifle.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe you had done all the exploring and side stuff.

I mean the story and characters are still good, I will finish it but it's just a bit of a chore by now. I will say that the quality of the dialogue cannot be overstated, that is definitely something that helps in terms of holding my interest.

I have seen most of the map and hunted all legendary animals (except the three that I can't get to yet) so I have done most of the side stuff. Problem is, most of the side stuff doesn't give you much of anything worthwhile: yeah I get little boosts from the trinkets and talismans but I don't really need them since the game is so easy because Dead Eye is such a broken mechanic (I compare it to VATS in Fallout 3 where it was utterly busted and Obsidian somewhat fixed it in New Vegas). Whenever the game rewards you with money after you rob a certain location early in Chapter 3, it's a joke since you have so much money already (like I said, after that mission I have never had anything less than 2000 dollars on my person).

I probably spent too much time doing side stuff as soon as the world map opened up, that's something that happens way too often in open world games that I play (why progress the story when I can get stuff to become more powerful?!).

I don't want to sound too critical mind you, the game is still a work of art and well worth playing. It's just a shame that it starts off so strong and falls off a cliff so quickly, for people who play games like I do. I started thinking this game could rival and maybe surpass Breath of the Wild, but after the initial O_O it has fallen well short of that lofty goal. No shame in that though, BotW is a masterpiece amongst masterpieces.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Without the satchel you wouldn't be able to have anything except your weapons!

It's not a man purse, it's European.

EDIT: unless you mean "does unlocking a satchel mean I can get the bonus without carrying it" then the answer is yes. If you unlock a satchel, all satchels will get the bonus.

I just want to hide the visual. It drives me nuts.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I keep losing my horse due to having to borrow one for missions and it becoming my main horse. Is there any way around this?

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
So I jump on today and my horse is now a crappy turd cheap $10 horse. I had a maxed out race horse from the special edition. WTF. Last thing I did was going fishing on the just south of the Chapter 3 area.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Beau - “If anyone finds out about Penelope and me they’ll kill me”
Arthur - “If anyone finds out? I know about Penelope and you and I’ve been here all of 10 minutes”

Idk why but I found this line was hilarious lmao.

Reactions: Pilky01

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You lot here said that there was a KKK ceremony north of Strawberry? I just encountered one northwest of Rhodes. Lol, I am also glad I didn't kill them until I watched the entire spectacle.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Anybody else do that Crompton stranger mission?

Loved how they laid out the documents for you to slowly figure out why he is a homeless old drunk; progressing from “oh this seems so sad, he lost his job, his family hates him, and now he is a homeless old drunk. Then you find out what his job actually was! lol

The whole ride back I was thinking about how I was going to murder him and Rockstar basically finishes the mission with him waiting for you to put a bullet in his head.

And I didn’t think to make sure but I coulda swore I gained karma for capping the old man.:laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Behold, the ultimate hunting chart

fyu6i263asu11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad