Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Should a beginner do some main quests and get some decent guns before going out and hunting and all that stuff? I'm supposed to ignore Uncle as he causes the bug, right?

I would stick with main story and stranger missions until you’re into chapter 2 or 3.

Hell I am in chapter 3 and have been for a while. I only just unlocked the farm where you can sell stolen horses

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Should a beginner do some main quests and get some decent guns before going out and hunting and all that stuff? I'm supposed to ignore Uncle as he causes the bug, right?

No idea about the bug but I honestly would recommend anyone starting to progress the story until you at least unlock manual deadeye. I think you get it around the midway point of Chapter 2 if I remember correctly.

Also do not to the gold bar bug unless you want to completely ruin the balance. Hell, if you ever get a ton of money I'd almost recommend surrendering to lawmen so that they can take it away from you, having too much money really hurts the experience.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No idea about the bug but I honestly would recommend anyone starting to progress the story until you at least unlock manual deadeye. I think you get it around the midway point of Chapter 2 if I remember correctly.

Also do not to the gold bar bug unless you want to completely ruin the balance. Hell, if you ever get a ton of money I'd almost recommend surrendering to lawmen so that they can take it away from you, having too much money really hurts the experience.

the way the game is setup having a ton of money does nothing for you really. You cant buy guns until you unlock them through the story mode and even then so far ive been given the gun anyway and not had to buy it. I have a couple of cheaper horses and outrun the law pretty easily on them so buying a $1K horse isn't necessary. The only reason to have a ton of money in my experience is so you can f*** around and not worry about a $300 bounty and just pay it off.

Im only in chapter 3 mind you but that's because I avoid the main story to do other stuff, I just cant stay invested in the games side quests once there is no story left to do it just feels really hollow.

bounties and repeatedly buying premium cigarettes is about all I spend my money on right now, gotta get me those sweet cigarette cards. buying packs over and over and over again

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
the way the game is setup having a ton of money does nothing for you really. You cant buy guns until you unlock them through the story mode and even then so far ive been given the gun anyway and not had to buy it. I have a couple of cheaper horses and outrun the law pretty easily on them so buying a $1K horse isn't necessary. The only reason to have a ton of money in my experience is so you can **** around and not worry about a $300 bounty and just pay it off.

Im only in chapter 3 mind you but that's because I avoid the main story to do other stuff, I just cant stay invested in the games side quests once there is no story left to do it just feels really hollow.

bounties and repeatedly buying premium cigarettes is about all I spend my money on right now, gotta get me those sweet cigarette cards. buying packs over and over and over again

It is true that there is very little to spend the large amounts of money you get in Chapter 3 but having access to all that money effectively negates all the tension. Once I got the 3000 payout from that job in Chapter 3 I started fast travelling a lot more, why bother with the roads since I didn't need to rob no one? Eventually the whole game boiled down to "go to X, watch cutscene, travel to Y, gun fight, travel to Z cutscene" and that was so much less engaging.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It is true that there is very little to spend the large amounts of money you get in Chapter 3 but having access to all that money effectively negates all the tension. Once I got the 3000 payout from that job in Chapter 3 I started fast travelling a lot more, why bother with the roads since I didn't need to rob no one? Eventually the whole game boiled down to "go to X, watch cutscene, travel to Y, gun fight, travel to Z cutscene" and that was so much less engaging.

I haven’t even done the mission you are talking about and I constantly have between $1-3k I did do 2 of the treasure hunts though so I did get ahead that way.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I’ve decided I’m not gonna buy the fast travel upgrade. I’m only in chapter 3 beginning but I think I can manage.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Game is getting frustrating now. I went to hunt the Legendary Moose, I don't see any markers so I decide to sleep to "reset" the area. I get off Dog Food (my horse) to sleep. I wake up and now my horse is now a Tennessee Walker instead of my race horse. The pelts are still on him. I kill the moose and add him to the pile. I go to a stable and all my slots are filled with Tennessee Walkers. Then go to Pearson to turn in my pelts and it says I have none. I look at my horse and see them (including the Legendary Moose which should just be greyed out when trading is stuff at camp but it shows nothing). I keep losing my horse and everything on it thru a glitch or something. If he died, I'd see a dead horse on the ground with the saddle on him and I'd have to go to a stable to get my saddle onto the new horse. Anyone else having issues with your horses?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So Saint Denis sucks so bad that it made me restart the game. Got to chapter 4 and had a good amount of money, over 2000k, but lost it all in minutes. Had to go there for the storyline, riding around in town I barely brush a guy walking and get wanted. Cops are on every corner and they start shooting right away when the bounty is just $5. Try to run which gets my bounty up a lot, not sure exactly how much at that point. Get killed and lose $200 for dying. Restart and I call my horse, the horse hits someone coming to me and imI wanted again. For some reason John and Dutch are near me and we have a massive shootout with the bounty well over a thousand and I get killed again. So with all the money I lost from dying and how high my bounty is I can't play that off and main mission is in their which I can't set foot in. Felt like I rushed through the first time so now taking it slower and doing more legendary animal hunts and small tasks than straight story.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Having money really has had absolutely zero effect on how I have played the game in any meaningful way. It is just kinda there.

Kind of feel the same way. Its nice to have a layed back game and not have to grind for good items and customization. Im enjoying the slower relaxed pace.

The real grind will probably come when muliplayer is available.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There's a 2 part epilogue!?

I'm just getting to chapter 3! :laugh:

Also, is there a glitch that removes Micah from the gang by chance? I'll try for that one intentionally.

No idea how long the epilogue is. I was trying to finish the game last night and thought the story was over.

Then "Part 1" appeared on screen and I just got annoyed :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
No idea how long the epilogue is. I was trying to finish the game last night and thought the story was over.

Then "Part 1" appeared on screen and I just got annoyed :laugh:

Yeah, I should have said "multiple part" epilogue I guess. Wow this is a big game.

Seriously. There should have been an option to leave his ass in Strawberry.

I immediately tried shooting him during that mission, but alas.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just made a huge score hitting the bank in Valentine. I’m on chapter 3.

I’ve already bought all of the camp upgrades. What should I spend my $2K on?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just made a huge score hitting the bank in Valentine. I’m on chapter 3.

I’ve already bought all of the camp upgrades. What should I spend my $2K on?

There is nothing to spend all that money unfortunately. Upgrade your guns I suppose.

This is where the game lost a lot of steam for me.

Reactions: Pilky01

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Are there no safehouses to buy, businesses to fund, or snazzy outfits to get? Maybe your single player money will be used in the multiplayer?

I hope I get to start this weekend lol

Reactions: Pilky01

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are there no safehouses to buy, businesses to fund, or snazzy outfits to get? Maybe your single player money will be used in the multiplayer?

I hope I get to start this weekend lol
I haven't started Chapter IV since I have just been hunting (it's actually quite a bit of fun), but there is a tailor in Saint Denis where you can customize your outfit with colours and what not. There are also items you can find throughout the map, I found a pirate hat the other day sailing in one of the bayou lagoons. IMHO, the best snazzy outfits come from the trapper which requires hunting perfect pelts and legendary animals.

Not sure if you can invest in safehouses or businesses yet, but as of Chapter IV you can't since you're part of a gang running from the law.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It sounds like the game needs a few more things to use your money on.

Or at least a high stakes poker game or two.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It sounds like the game needs a few more things to use your money on.

Or at least a high stakes poker game or two.

I also buy premium cigarettes for the cards. Buy 2 packs, drop 2 packs, buy 2 packs drop 2 packs over and over trying to get a whole set. I have nothing else to really buy any better guns/horses I could purchase are locked to missions .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad