Apr 9, 2011
Officially Announced for PS4 and Xbox One
CvDUvlDVYAAgWS0.jpg:small

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm so down.

I've never been a GTA fan, but RDR was awesome, and one of my favourites on the 360.

I'm sure it'll be another year after release until PC gets it :(.

Rockstar hates PC for some reason.

On the bright side, it gives me something to look forward to for my often unused PS4.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Yes finally! Shut up and take my money indeed!

Big act to follow but I have faith. 1st version was my favorite game of all time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm sure it'll be another year after release until PC gets it :(.

If the PC gets it at all, we'll be lucky. If it gets it after "only" a year, we'll be even luckier (it took 1.5 years for GTA V). When the PS4 and XB1 versions of GTA V were announced, the PC version was announced with them, so it's a bad sign that the PS4 and XB1 versions of RDR2 were just announced with no mention of the PC. Rockstar apparently wants PC gamers to beg again, like they had to do when the PS3 and XB360 versions of GTA V were announced.

I don't understand what their issue is. Apparently, the PC version of GTA V has sold 5.5M copies on Steam alone. Average that to $50/game ($60 minus occasionally being on sale) and deduct Steam's 30% cut and you get $192M. I'm not sure what the split is between the developer and the publisher, but that's a haul... and that's just from Steam. RDR2 likely wouldn't sell as well as GTA5, especially since the franchise has never been on the PC, but we'd still be talking about a fortune maker. Why would they not be interested from the beginning in porting it? It just doesn't make sense.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
FWIW 5.5 million copies lifetime on Steam is less than half as many copies as GTA V sold on PS3 & 360 in its first 24 hours on store shelves. The previous generation versions of GTA V sold over 34 million copies overall before bringing in the PS4, XBone, and PC versions into the equation. There's just more money to be made on console than there is on PC for games of this scale.

At the very least if this does get a PC version you can assume that it'll be a proper port after the fact, rather than a slapdash port that wasn't at all optimized to run on PC like almost every AAA game that ships day & date on consoles and PC.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I was thinking it was going to release on the same sort of time frame as The Last of Us did, right around the same time as E3, but with how many supposed late 2016 games got pushed into early 2017 I'm honestly okay with waiting until later in 2017...let's just hope it doesn't get pushed out of that window.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
FWIW 5.5 million copies lifetime on Steam is less than half as many copies as GTA V sold on PS3 & 360 in its first 24 hours on store shelves. The previous generation versions of GTA V sold over 34 million copies overall before bringing in the PS4, XBone, and PC versions into the equation. There's just more money to be made on console than there is on PC for games of this scale.

Very true, but the question is 5.5 million copies versus the cost of having the game PC ready on day one and not PC vs console.

One would assume those numbers are pretty favourable for Rockstar.

At the very least if this does get a PC version you can assume that it'll be a proper port after the fact, rather than a slapdash port that wasn't at all optimized to run on PC like almost every AAA game that ships day & date on consoles and PC.

Indeed....which is equal parts appreciated and frustrating.

Personally, I feel like there is a nice middle ground here that, really, most developers that do this achieve - releasing working versions of the same game simultaneously. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Very true, but the question is 5.5 million copies versus the cost of having the game PC ready on day one and not PC vs console.

If you have the ability to print money, why would you spend time printing $10 bills when you can print $100s?

I want a PC version of this game, I just want it to be a good version...and generally speaking I just don't trust games made primarily for consoles to have good PC ports out of the gate. If there is a PC version it shouldn't take half as long to materialize as GTA V did because they won't be developing upgraded console versions at the same time, at least.

Plus Rockstar knows that they can get double-dippers with a staggered release...it's not like I own 3 versions of GTA V or anything...

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
If you have the ability to print money, why would you spend time printing $10 bills when you can print $100s?

If the choice were one or the other, I agree: the choice is obvious based on sales. Thing is, why can't you do both?

Most companies do this. I'm curious why Rockstar won't.

Plus Rockstar knows that they can get double-dippers with a staggered release...it's not like I own 3 versions of GTA V or anything...

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the true reason, which is frustrating from a consumer perspective. :laugh:

Last edited:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It's nice to have the prospect of a AAA title on the horizon that you can guarantee will be fantastic.

Rockstar doesn't ever churn out garbage.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Of course there's more money to be made in the console area, but it's obviously not a choice of one or the other. If it were, none of these large-scale games would be developed for PC, but they are, because it's profitable to have your feet in multiple ecosystems.

That analogy assumes an unlimited amount of money and a limited amount of time, which I think is backwards. You can argue that there's a limited amount of money because you can expect to sell only a certain number of copies of the game to any single platform (especially console) before you reach saturation. Do you think that, if they hadn't "wasted" time on the PC, that they could've sold 5.5-10M more console copies of the game? I think that that's unlikely. It's more likely that they sold as many on the console side as they were ever going to and the 5.5-10M in PC sales were a bonus revenue stream that they wouldn't have had, otherwise.

Second, "time" is not exactly finite when you can add man-hours by bringing in new employees to the project. If you're not taking people from the console versions, then you're not taking time from them and not slowing them down. I wonder what happened to the team that did such a good job porting GTA V, for example. Even if you accept the reasons for not developing a PC version simultaneously with the console versions, there's no reason to not have some of the staff work on it after the console versions launch, as they did with GTA V. I have no issue if that's what they want to do. Like you, I want a good port. I'm just afraid that we're not going to get a port at all.

Last edited:

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I thought gta v was overrated a lot but I did enjoy it. I really enjoyed red dead redemption. though when I first played it and got to Mexico I gave up and then years later I restarted.
all in all, I will buy it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I thought gta v was overrated a lot but I did enjoy it. I really enjoyed red dead redemption. though when I first played it and got to Mexico I gave up and then years later I restarted.
all in all, I will buy it.

I thought GTA V was completely overrated as well. I loved RDR because it brought a whole new experience playing in the wild west..so i'm looking for to doing that again.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't care if I have to wait a while for the PC version, as long as it isn't an absurd wait, and as long as they do a good job of it. I really hope it happens, because I absolutely LOVE Western video games. I don't give a crap about Western movies besides Tombstone, but I sure as **** love me a good Western video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad