RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is he the most likely Dman from the draft besides Dahlin to crack an NHL Roster in his first year

No, I think he will need to continue to gain weight. At his height he needs to fill out more for sure. He is 6'3" but only like 180 lbs.

Bouchard is the most physically ready, but not sure if putting right into the NHL is the right call or not.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I can’t remember the last time such a well rounded defenseman got such little hype. This kid has the tools and the toolbox. The only reason he isn’t talked about more is because he’s not as flashy as the other defensemen, but Dobson gets the job done. I have him as the second best defenseman this draft.

Something about him screams future captain, and someone who anchors a defense.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Is he the most likely Dman from the draft besides Dahlin to crack an NHL Roster in his first year
He's very polished but I think it would be a mistake to rush him. After all Pietrangelo spent parts of his 2 post draft seasons playing in the OHL and dominating for team Canada, think a similar path would be best for Dobson.

Reactions: Lays

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
He does it all. Perhaps he doesn't have the massive offensive upside that a Hughes or Boqvist has, but his all-around game is superb.

He's the type of player that can anchor a top pair in 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: Agent007

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Whats his offensive upside? Is it high enough to be a true #1? What's his strongest offensive trait? Weakness?

I think he has 15 goal, 25-30 assist upside.

Really good shooting ability.

Can he be a number 1? Yes. But it's going to take time.

This is a kid who needs to fill out, probably needs a solid 15-20 pounds of upper body muscle.

His team is already confirmed to be in the QMJHL finals and they will have a good chance to get to the Memorial Cup.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Good to hear he has a shot, we desperately need that. Buttons mock has us taking him over boqvist. Initial reaction is i would be pretty rattled but im certainly warming up to him.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
One of his biggest assets is moving the puck. He works really well in a good system on a good team. If he goes to a good team he'll no doubt have 2nd powerplay duties. So don't expect to much immediate point production once he makes the NHL. If he goes to a weaker team the longer he develops in the minors the better. If he can learn to run an AHL powerplay the year after next then you probably have a 40-50 point pro player in about four years

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I could see Ottawa taking one of Boqvist or Bouchard with their #5 pick and possibly Detroit taking Dobson at #6 unless Boqvist is still on the board at #6.
We traded our #4 already? so we got a #5 and what now? IMO Ottawa will go Tkachuk, Zadina, or Dobson at 4. depending on what Montreal does at 3. ... assuming Svech does not drop

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
One of his biggest assets is moving the puck. He works really well in a good system on a good team. If he goes to a good team he'll no doubt have 2nd powerplay duties. So don't expect to much immediate point production once he makes the NHL. If he goes to a weaker team the longer he develops in the minors the better. If he can learn to run an AHL powerplay the year after next then you probably have a 40-50 point pro player in about four years

He can’t play in the AHL the year after next.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bump... Dobson should be getting some close consideration as the next Dman off the board after Dahlin... He is the complete package... I'd argue the most complete package Dman in the draft after #1

I have Hughes in front of him, but I have him in front of Bouchard and Boqvist.

If Hughes size scares you and I just see him as elite so it doesn't bother me, but I understand those pausing especially high in the draft. I think Dobson should be the next one off the board though. He reminds me a lot of Pietrangelo. He also to me is going to be a big ice time eater at the NHL level 25+ night kind of player when i watch him.

I will be a little disappointed if the Wings have a crack at Hughes or Dobson and wind up with a different D-man. If they go winger okay, but I want one of Hughes or Dobson if not, unless both guys are gone. At that point you have probably been gifted Tkachuk which would be hilarious at #6 in my opinion.

I would leave Dobson down in the Q another year if I picked him though. I think another development year in Junior with a focus towards physical maturation would help him transition.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have Hughes in front of him, but I have him in front of Bouchard and Boqvist.

If Hughes size scares you and I just see him as elite, but I understand those pausing. I think Dobson should be the next one of the board. He reminds me a lot of Pietrangelo. He also to me is going to be a big ice time eater at the NHL level 25+ night kind of player when i watch him.

I have no issues with Hughes I think he's going to be really good. If he can break into a good situation where he can be sheltered with a good partner like Mete was when Weber was there and Sergachev in Tampa .. Ottawa really doesn't have that stability on D. Dobson would be a better fit for them imo. But I think Hughes will ultimately be outstanding. I do think Dobson has a more complete game.. but Hughes just makes so much happen offensively.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have no issues with Hughes I think he's going to be really good. If he can break into a good situation where he can be sheltered with a good partner like Mete was when Weber was there and Sergachev in Tampa .. Ottawa really doesn't have that stability on D. Dobson would be a better fit for them imo. But I think Hughes will ultimately be outstanding.

I really like those two the most outside of Dahlin.

Dobson is a guy the more you watch him the more you like him. I am not sure I have watched a game where he disappoints me. When it became clear we were out of it and you started watching these guys more, he has always impressed me. Such a smooth player and he has a frame that should fill out nicely and just solid everywhere with a 200 foot game. I see also almost no bust ability on Dobson, he is a second pairing D-man if nothing really takes off. Really impressive hockey player who I think is still figuring out just how good he is.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I really like those two the most outside of Dahlin.

Dobson is a guy the more you watch him the more you like him. I am not sure I have watched a game where he disappoints me. When it became clear we were out of it and you started watching these guys more, he has always impressed me. Such a smooth player and he has a frame that should fill out nicely and just solid everywhere with a 200 foot game. I see also almost no bust ability on Dobson, he is a second pairing D-man if nothing really takes off. Really impressive hockey player who I think is still figuring out just how good he is.
To me his transition game is his greatest asset. He may not be flashy offensively compared to the other d-men in his range, but with him on the ice the puck will be in the opposing team's zone more often than not because Dobson is that efficient at moving the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad