RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
M-E Vlasic, Kris Letang, Samuel Girard (eventually), Thomas Chabot (eventually), Marco Scandella, Jason Demers, François Beauchemin, David Savard to name a few.

Surely not “great” defensemen but it wouldn’t be the first time a good D has come out of the Q.

Oh and Ray Bourque also came from the Q.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
M-E Vlasic, Kris Letang, Samuel Girard (eventually), Thomas Chabot (eventually), Marco Scandella, Jason Demers, François Beauchemin, David Savard to name a few.

Surely not “great” defensemen but it wouldn’t be the first time a good D has come out of the Q.

Ok but compare that list to Ohl and whl

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

and Kevin Lowe

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Every time I watched Dobson...I am wondering why the hype..I think he is over-rated..flaws ...I saw goidvforecheckers making him turnover the puck (that was in their last regular seafood game if I recall correctly..I saw him look terrible in the first game against Blainville in this recent playoffs. OK he has size ..But I don't think a lot of hockey sense in defending g his own zone ...norvanytjibg special handling the puck ..lost coverages..really I just cannot see any reason to get excited to draft him.Maybe I caught only poor games from him and I admit only 3 viewings all season ..but still every time I watched closely and I saw flaws.

Every time I saw Bouchard,I was impressed. .just as he did lady season when I saw him for London ...Him I get excited about.

Saw Boqvist at the u-18...a lot of good ability ..but also still flaws to work on ...I would take Bouchard ahead of him.

Look Dahlia may be the only one both them to start right away in the NHL this coming season..And maybe Quinn Hughes who looks more advanced but still has some concerning issues like size in the smaller rinks (easier for him to skatewith no resistance in the big ice and less room will be there along the boards and potential crushing by the big NHL pros And also his shot is not that great in beating goalies) so there are issues even for Hughes even if Skating and hockey sense are toop-notch ...he can be exciting g though but how effective on 5x5 in the smaller rinks? Overconebitbor get pushed around? If you think no problems you draft him higher than Bouchard and Boqvist ...if you think there may be a problem ,he goes a bit behind them..Dobson. .I do not buy into it..

Whalstrom ..another Boeer sniper?OK ...but apart from sniping the rest of his game is concerning...did not see consistent work ethic at the u-18s...saw too much stopped standing in position. ..wonder if he will commit to defending better...

Kotkaniemi...very very impressive on all round game ..The only flaw I saw was some balance issues on some hits on him..so probably needs to work on that getting stronger in the legs ..When he does that ,going to be a very good player ..And the big Centre...very few of his ability I this draft .He is also good on draws..As Craig Button says he looks like Kopitar at a similar age ..And 13 teams passed on Kopitar in hod draft before L.A. took him..I just like the upside and what he becomes after getting stronger and growing into his frame.Tge skills for shooting passing closing off and a 200 ft game are all there.. He is under rated on most rankings and to me is the top Centre prospect in this draft .

So if you were asked ...would you take Boeer or Kopitar,I think you gotta take the big Centre with all round ability also value on draws and pk ...not even sure Whalstrom works as hard as Boeer. .so I worry about if he is just a 2 trick pony with the sniping ability who is going not to give you much blue with anything else .

If he were that special a sniper ...maybe..But he is not Laine or Ovechkin and not even close to the special nature of the Zadina sniping ability ...
So ...I probably take Kravstov ahead of Whalstrom but after Kotkaniemi in this 2nd tier of top forwards after the 3 biggies of Svechnikov Zadina and Tkachuk ...

I also think that pipeline position need may influence some teams picks in the top ten over any consensus ranking as well as the Svechnikov Russian issue facing Montreal or Ottawa if Zadina or Tkachuk are taken at #2 by Carolina instead of the apparent consensus on most mocks posted on these boards..

Also the target is in the eye of the beholder and all we know for sure is that Dahlin is going #1 ..

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Every time I watched Dobson...I am wondering why the hype..I think he is over-rated..flaws ...I saw goidvforecheckers making him turnover the puck (that was in their last regular seafood game if I recall correctly..I saw him look terrible in the first game against Blainville in this recent playoffs. OK he has size ..But I don't think a lot of hockey sense in defending g his own zone ...norvanytjibg special handling the puck ..lost coverages..really I just cannot see any reason to get excited to draft him.Maybe I caught only poor games from him and I admit only 3 viewings all season ..but still every time I watched closely and I saw flaws.

Every time I saw Bouchard,I was impressed. .just as he did lady season when I saw him for London ...Him I get excited about.

Saw Boqvist at the u-18...a lot of good ability ..but also still flaws to work on ...I would take Bouchard ahead of him.

Look Dahlia may be the only one both them to start right away in the NHL this coming season..And maybe Quinn Hughes who looks more advanced but still has some concerning issues like size in the smaller rinks (easier for him to skatewith no resistance in the big ice and less room will be there along the boards and potential crushing by the big NHL pros And also his shot is not that great in beating goalies) so there are issues even for Hughes even if Skating and hockey sense are toop-notch ...he can be exciting g though but how effective on 5x5 in the smaller rinks? Overconebitbor get pushed around? If you think no problems you draft him higher than Bouchard and Boqvist ...if you think there may be a problem ,he goes a bit behind them..Dobson. .I do not buy into it..

Whalstrom ..another Boeer sniper?OK ...but apart from sniping the rest of his game is concerning...did not see consistent work ethic at the u-18s...saw too much stopped standing in position. ..wonder if he will commit to defending better...

Kotkaniemi...very very impressive on all round game ..The only flaw I saw was some balance issues on some hits on him..so probably needs to work on that getting stronger in the legs ..When he does that ,going to be a very good player ..And the big Centre...very few of his ability I this draft .He is also good on draws..As Craig Button says he looks like Kopitar at a similar age ..And 13 teams passed on Kopitar in hod draft before L.A. took him..I just like the upside and what he becomes after getting stronger and growing into his frame.Tge skills for shooting passing closing off and a 200 ft game are all there.. He is under rated on most rankings and to me is the top Centre prospect in this draft .

So if you were asked ...would you take Boeer or Kopitar,I think you gotta take the big Centre with all round ability also value on draws and pk ...not even sure Whalstrom works as hard as Boeer. .so I worry about if he is just a 2 trick pony with the sniping ability who is going not to give you much blue with anything else .

If he were that special a sniper ...maybe..But he is not Laine or Ovechkin and not even close to the special nature of the Zadina sniping ability ...
So ...I probably take Kravstov ahead of Whalstrom but after Kotkaniemi in this 2nd tier of top forwards after the 3 biggies of Svechnikov Zadina and Tkachuk ...

I also think that pipeline position need may influence some teams picks in the top ten over any consensus ranking as well as the Svechnikov Russian issue facing Montreal or Ottawa if Zadina or Tkachuk are taken at #2 by Carolina instead of the apparent consensus on most mocks posted on these boards..

Also the target is in the eye of the beholder and all we know for sure is that Dahlin is going #1 ..

Awesome

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
So, just for piece of mind, your thoughts on Dobson would change if he was the exact same player he is now, but was in the OHL?

Brilliant
If he was the exact same player, he might have put up fewer points and have been exposed more defensively. Who knows? Ohl is a tougher league defensively

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

What the f*** did I just read

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Idk man, I have nothing against the guy. Actually he's probably the most likely guy my team will pick. I just have my reservations about him... and I'll see if I can get over them

Maybe i'll change my name to Noah Dobson after the draft

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The game tonight on tv anywhere? Sportsnet ot TSN should be showing these games especially with no NHL games on

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Watched most of the game tonight (a pivotal game 5 that AB won) and Dobson was very, very good I thought. It's very close between Bouchard-Hughes-Dobson in my view. They are all very different, which makes it very interesting going forward.
He was unbelievable, 1st star.

Mem cup would be his coming out party to most of the Country

wein

Jul 2, 2013
He was unbelievable, 1st star.

Mem cup would be his coming out party to most of the Country

I really hope Bathurst does make the memorial cup. It's great seeing small markets have success especially a team like Bathurst who has struggled for years and years. It's nice to see them actually be able to get kids that have turned out to be very good players report to them.

Hopefully they can seal up the win today.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Been saying for a while from a Habs POV I don't mind taking him at 3 or trading down to around 6 and picking him and if he isn't available I'd take Hughes or Kotkaniemi

We need to focus on D and Centers and nothing more. Unless Svenchnikov lands on our lap then you take him because he's a franchise player. I have my doubts about Zadina, Wahlstrom and Tkachuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad