RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004
Anyone have a Zach Bogosian vibe with this kid? What does he have that will make him a better player in your opinion? If you read some scouting reports from 2008 on Bogosian it also sounds a lot like Dobson. I have not seen him play to be honest, I am just curious to hear your opinion as I've read a lot of comparison with Pietrangelo who was also drafted in 2008. Could we say that Bogosian is the floor and Pietrangelo the ceiling?

"Bogosian is the most complete package in the bunch. He brings size, speed, toughness, and the ability to take the puck end-to-end at any moment. He may also have the most longterm upside if he maxes out his potential."

"Bogosian is a smooth skating defenseman for the Peterborough Petes. A solid all around player, with an excellent hockey IQ and leadership qualities. Decent size at 6’2”, and is not afraid to get physical. Has a big shot. Will be a top 3 pick."

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Man forgot about Bogo. Bogo was tracking to be a very good dmen but I think he got rushed to the NHL and then injuries hurt his development.

He also was more physically developed in Junior. I still remember Oilers brass raving about his physical testing (especially on the bike) at the combine.

Dobson isn’t as physically developed as Bogo. He also hopefully doesn’t get rushed to the NHL by the team that picks him.

I really like how Dobson thinks the game. I feel he has a high hockey IQ so I think he will translate better at the NHL level then Bogo did. But it all depends on how he develops both on his own and by the team that picks him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yup. Been my comp and others too. Hes a solid player

He’s not near as talented or creative as Pietrangelo was at that age though. I think Bouchard is more like a young Pietrangelo offensively then Dobson is. Dobson is more of a Risto type offensively.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He’s not near as talented or creative as Pietrangelo was at that age though. I think Bouchard is more like a young Pietrangelo offensively then Dobson is. Dobson is more of a Risto type offensively.

Bouchard is another guy i really love in this draft. Terrific passer and i love his fakes when running the point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anyone have a Zach Bogosian vibe with this kid? What does he have that will make him a better player in your opinion? If you read some scouting reports from 2008 on Bogosian it also sounds a lot like Dobson. I have not seen him play to be honest, I am just curious to hear your opinion as I've read a lot of comparison with Pietrangelo who was also drafted in 2008. Could we say that Bogosian is the floor and Pietrangelo the ceiling?

"Bogosian is the most complete package in the bunch. He brings size, speed, toughness, and the ability to take the puck end-to-end at any moment. He may also have the most longterm upside if he maxes out his potential."

"Bogosian is a smooth skating defenseman for the Peterborough Petes. A solid all around player, with an excellent hockey IQ and leadership qualities. Decent size at 6’2”, and is not afraid to get physical. Has a big shot. Will be a top 3 pick."
I think Bogosian was ruined by terrible development plans by the Atlanta Thrashers and had bad luck with injuries. I think he would have developed much better if he went to a better organization, instead of being rushed to the NHL.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Did a search on eliteprospects about his numbers this season. It has been mentioned in this thread about how few top defenseman come out of the Q, but Dobson's P/G for a draft eligible defenseman is 9th all time in the Q. Only 15 players have scored at that rate in their draft years in Q history, and Dobson is one of only 2 to do it in the 21st century (Samuel Girard being the other, who is 5th all time). He only has 4 points in 8 games so far in the playoffs, but is 6th in the entire league in SOG. Really impressive year for him.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
how are dobsons puck skills and hands? Is he actually talented or is he gonna be a boring 2nd pairing guy at best? I should probably watch some footage of him at some point lol

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
how are dobsons puck skills and hands? Is he actually talented or is he gonna be a boring 2nd pairing guy at best? I should probably watch some footage of him at some point lol

Above average but not elite. Same can be said for everything he does.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I found he became more confident when Galipeau was acquired. He used to make a lot of poor decisions and bad pinches but all the bad seemed to go away with a new partner he had confidence in. Since then he's been a man on the move. Young Bogosian and Pietrangelo are good comparisons. I think in the end he will be more like Josi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, he thinks the game at an elite level. His I.Q is outstanding, he always know what to do, and where to be, all the time.

That coupled with size, shot, vision, skating make an extremely deadly combo.
His skating is also high-end to elite. A big help to him will be adding bulk as he gets older.

At the moment, I think he might be the safest bet behind Dahlin to be a top pair defender. I think his size, skating and IQ will allow him to be a bit of a chameleon on D, who can be successful in any role (similar to a guys like Pietrangelo or Suter), the other D he is up against tend to rely heavily on their offensive ability in order to be successful NHLers (Bouchard, Boqvist, and Hughes). The only one I would strongly consider over Dobson is Boqvist, as he is high-end to elite at every aspect of offensive play (shot, skating, hands, vision), whereas I question Bouchard's skating and Hughes's shot. Now, if you think your teams biggest need on D is a strong powerplay player then I can see why you would take Hughes and Bouchard over him, but if you want a guy who can play in all-situations and potentially be a 25+ minute eater with a strong defensive game, Dobson should be your guy.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
No, he thinks the game at an elite level. His I.Q is outstanding, he always know what to do, and where to be, all the time.

That coupled with size, shot, vision, skating make an extremely deadly combo.

Yeah, I'm not so quick on giving the term elite IQ right away, especially on a defenseman playing in the Q. Sure he looks like he is one of the smartest player out there, but I remember when people were saying Gormley was the next Lidstrom. I'd rather play it safe and rate it as above average.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, I'm not so quick on giving the term elite IQ right away, especially on a defenseman playing in the Q. Sure he looks like he is one of the smartest player out there, but I remember when people were saying Gormley was the next Lidstrom. I'd rather play it safe and rate it as above average.
Neither am I. He's the smartest defenceman I have seen play in the Q, and I've seen a lot.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

that's mean absolutely nothing ! they are flops in every league !

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Neither am I. He's the smartest defenceman I have seen play in the Q, and I've seen a lot.

That's your choice, I'm just being careful with Q defensemen in general. I lived in Moncton when Gormley played for the Wildcats and seen him play over 40 games. He did look like Lidstrom out there, pretty much every scout will tell you the same. In my mind I thought he was one of the safest pick in the draft, I just don't want to re-do this mistake again.

that's mean absolutely nothing ! they are flops in every league !

Yes, there are busts in every league. I just take in account that the Q is the weakest of all 3 CHL league and apart of Chabot and Girard, I have a hard time naming young defensemen talent coming out of the Q having success in the NHL. Trust me, I wish it was not the case since I'm from the Maritimes..

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
That's your choice, I'm just being careful with Q defensemen in general. I lived in Moncton when Gormley played for the Wildcats and seen him play over 40 games. He did look like Lidstrom out there, pretty much every scout will tell you the same. In my mind I thought he was one of the safest pick in the draft, I just don't want to re-do this mistake again.

Yes, there are busts in every league. I just take in account that the Q is the weakest of all 3 CHL league and apart of Chabot and Girard, I have a hard time naming young defensemen talent coming out of the Q having success in the NHL. Trust me, I wish it was not the case since I'm from the Maritimes..

it's because we didn't had others good d-man not like if we had alote of flop. he have Gormley, and I didn't understand why he flopped him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I think Dobson is the exception similar to those guys. I think he's a better prospect than either of them were. The Q has been very hit and miss for the last 3 decades in this regard. But, you still see a Letang or Vlasic emerge every couple years.

What killed Gormley was the pace of the game picking up on him and not having the skating to adapt. When you aren't a good skater you have significantly less margin for error as a defenceman. It's why there are very few top pairing defenders who aren't good skaters (most notable examples are Chara with a 6'9 reach, Shea Weber and Aaron Ekblad). Dobson's skating gives him a lot more room for error in his reads that wasn't an option for someone like Gormley. This is an issue I would think is more likely to effect Bouchard than Dobson.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think Dobson is the exception similar to those guys. I think he's a better prospect than either of them were. The Q has been very hit and miss for the last 3 decades in this regard. But, you still see a Letang or Vlasic emerge every couple years.

What killed Gormley was the pace of the game picking up on him and not having the skating to adapt. When you aren't a good skater you have significantly less margin for error as a defenceman. It's why there are very few top pairing defenders who aren't good skaters (most notable examples are Chara with a 6'9 reach, Shea Weber and Aaron Ekblad). Dobson's skating gives him a lot more room for error in his reads that wasn't an option for someone like Gormley. This is an issue I would think is more likely to effect Bouchard than Dobson.

I agree with everything you said, good post. I also think Dobson skating is what seperates him from the rest, I think it is near elite (especially backward). I was talking about his hockey IQ in my previous post. In my personnal opinion, I will not label a Q defenseman as elite IQ until I see him do the same on a higher stage, but that is just me. He is my favorite defenseman in this draft and the one I saw live the most.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree with everything you said, good post. I also think Dobson skating is what seperates him from the rest, I think it is near elite (especially backward). I was talking about his hockey IQ in my previous post. In my personnal opinion, I will not label a Q defenseman as elite IQ until I see him do the same on a higher stage, but that is just me. He is my favorite defenseman in this draft and the one I saw live the most.
I agree its tough to label any defender high-IQ until you see them show it at a high-level. As the game quicken-ups people get exposed. But, I've always been very impressed by how adaptable he is and the different ways he can impact a team. Defenders hockey IQ is harder to read than forwards who by nature dictate player, whereas defending is primarily reactionary.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes