RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He has all the tools you could want in a D.

6'3 with a big frame
Excellent skater (especially backwards)
Cannon of a shot
Soft hands
Above average vision and passing ability
Good head on his shoulders too

One of the few D prospects out there that has legitimate #1 D potential.

I'd take him right after Dahlin and Svechnikov.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

6'3 with a big frame
Cannon of a shot
Soft hands

You forgot to mention how sound his play is in his own zone. He's very solid in all three zones, and his scoring is through the roof too.

I've been trying to find a defenseman prospect who has performed so well offensively in the Q (or other similar leagues) that didn't also struggle in their own zone. Not really able to find any. He is a very underappreciated prospect imo.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You forgot to mention how sound his play is in his own zone. He's very solid in all three zones, and his scoring is through the roof too.

I've been trying to find a defenseman prospect who has performed so well offensively in the Q (or other similar leagues) that didn't also struggle in their own zone. Not really able to find any. He is a very underappreciated prospect imo.

In the games I have watched him play he actually hasn't been great defensively.

Having said this, most of it was due to him being casual with the puck and not moving his feet, and can be coached out of his game.

I'm confident that he will be a good defensive player in the NHL. Hard to be a bad one when you have all the tools of a shutdown D with traits they typically lack (skating, skill and smarts).

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
In the games I have watched him play he actually hasn't been great defensively.

Having said this, most of it was due to him being casual with the puck and not moving his feet, and can be coached out of his game.

I'm confident that he will be a good defensive player in the NHL. Hard to be a bad one when you have all the tools of a shutdown D with traits they typically lack (skating, skill and smarts).

I guess I'm comparing him to other defensemen who posted similar numbers offensively. Sure, there was room for improvement in the games I saw (not many at all), but I was expecting more noticeable deficits.

But I guess being a Sabres fan, my bar for defensemen in their own end is lower than most :)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I guess I'm comparing him to other defensemen who posted similar numbers offensively. Sure, there was room for improvement in the games I saw (not many at all), but I was expecting more noticeable deficits.

But I guess being a Sabres fan, my bar for defensemen in their own end is lower than most :)

Sometimes he has trouble with overpowering players. He doesn’t have much upper body strength right now, he’s just starting to fill out his frame. But you see with his shoulders that he can fill out.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
He is a player. Came from being the 6th of 7 D on the Team Canada Hlinka team. Merkley was 7th.
Only seen him play 3 times this year.
Was impressed.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Where do you guys see him going? I would love for the Oilers to draft him

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
4-9 can go in any order imo

Hughes, boqvist, Bouchard, Tkachuk, wahlstrom, dobson

Honesty I can see an argument for any of those players in any order, depending on the team that is picking.
The thing is, these players are not all equal but they're not that different either in terms of talent and potential. Will be interesting to see the final order...

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Watched a replay of their last game, was puzzled/amazed at his play. He just looked like he was going at 50% speed, yet did everything you want a guy to do at both ends. Beyond a simple game, but that’s okay.

Guess I’m going to have to pay more attention as his team progresses.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
He makes it look easy in all 3 zones and his poise with and without the puck is amazing. Big and still filling, met him personally and he's an absolute great kid. Whoever dials his number on draft day is getting a "can't miss."

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

6'3 with a big frame
Cannon of a shot
Soft hands

Does he have a big frame? I ran into him two or three months ago in one of the Q arenas (his team was attending a basketball game) and he was really scrawny. The height is definitely legitimate though, he might even be a little taller.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Does he have a big frame? I ran into him two or three months ago in one of the Q arenas (his team was attending a basketball game) and he was really scrawny. The height is definitely legitimate though, he might even be a little taller.

he is tinny but he is young he will probably add some weight in the next 3 years

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
he is tinny but he is young he will probably add some weight in the next 3 years
tin_man.jpg

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

He’s definitely tall, I think he’s got a lot of room to put on weight easily.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He’s definitely tall, I think he’s got a lot of room to put on weight easily.

I don't really want to pursue this much further, and I agree that he can and will put on weight. Just from looking at him though he was quite thin, and not just in the sense of not having filled out yet. Narrow shoulders for instance, so I question that he has a big frame to fill in. I suppose that at 17 those things can still change in many cases though. Of course much more importantly in a game the next day he played very well.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't really want to pursue this much further, and I agree that he can and will put on weight. Just from looking at him though he was quite thin, and not just in the sense of not having filled out yet. Narrow shoulders for instance, so I question that he has a big frame to fill in. I suppose that at 17 those things can still change in many cases though. Of course much more importantly in a game the next day he played very well.

Really? I find the opposite, that he looks heavier than he actually is and has a lot of room to fill out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
How's Pietrangelo as a comparison?

they played the same style of play, they are 2 6'3 d-man that are 2 way defender not the most physicals players but they are really good defensively with there awareness and they utilize there stick well. The are the 2 really mobile and support the offense really well and they are 2 not flashy players but are really effective. Also, the 2 doesn't have a thing in there game that are wow but they are good at all

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00