Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Excellent start.
The only way this will impact other players is if they don't outplay him. 800k is press box fodder or AHL bound.
Slepy is not better. Khaira and Puljujarvi have both earned their spot already.
This allows options but doesn't hinder the team from acquiring better ones. What's not to like?
Puljujarvi hasn't earned a spot yet, Khaira absolutely has

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Well, this is a lot better than the lunacy of 1.3 a year for 2 years that I had seen bandied about.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don't like the deal.

Slephyshev khaira pulujarvi Yamamoto are all better than him.

Hes just getting an opportunity none of them are.
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi haven't shown as much but have time. Khaira is a left wing and Slepyshev isn't as skilled as Rattie.

So...no?

Slepy got chances like Rattie but Rattie ran with it. Slepy would have glimpses and than vanish

Reactions: Night Witch

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Glad they signed him. But I hope they don’t just pencil him in the lineup. Team needs numerous wingers in my opinion. Need to create competition on this team.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If they are better, then they can outplay him in camp and he can be sent down. His contract won't count against the cap if he's sent down, so what's the problem?

Like I said none of them are getting the opportunity he is. How long of a stint did slephyshev and khaira get with McDavid?

Rattie didn't start on the 4th line and work up. He was gifted the most coveted spot in all of hockey.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Excellent start.
The only way this will impact other players is if they don't outplay him. 800k is press box fodder or AHL bound.
Slepy is not better. Khaira and Puljujarvi have both earned their spot already.
This allows options but doesn't hinder the team from acquiring better ones. What's not to like?
Pulju hasn't earned anything yet. I havent seen much progression in his game to warrant any type of comments toward him like that. Khaira looks good as a 3rd/4th liner.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nice. I would've preferred 2 but I understand why it's one.

happy with one. Good streatch at the end of the year. We have a lot of moving parts and he looks to be a good stop gap. Only concern is if he production and play are a direct result of McDavid.

Rattie-McDavid-Nuge is too light weight of a top line for me

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Like I said none of them are getting the opportunity he is. How long of a stint did slephyshev and khaira get with McDavid?

Rattie didn't start on the 4th line and work up. He was gifted the most coveted spot in all of hockey.
Puljujarvi had more minutes with McDavid than Rattie... Khaira isn't a top line skill player, he's a strong 4th line C. Slepyshev has flashes but hasn't put it all together. Rattie has had almost instant success with McDavid, which is why he stuck there.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Chia: this is going to seem tough... but 6 mil AVV for 6 years.
Rattie: whoa! Easy, what about 525,000 for one year?
Chia: NO! One year, 3 million! Final deal... everything’s off the table.
Rattie: 800,000 then?
Chia: fine... I guess we can find a way to make that work.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

While somewhat true that they didnt get the opportunity as quick as Rattie, Rattie went on the top line and had instantaneous and sustained success. The other guys didnt and im sure would have had the same opportunity if they looked somewhat decent from the get go.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Sleyshev would have a good game then go completely non existent or have a bad game. Rattie got top line minutes and produced consistently. He kept getting time because he produced. He did more with McDavid than Pulju did in less time.

Todd's MO seems to be for young guys, "if I give you top line minutes, play like a top line player and constantly earn that time" Rattie did that. The others were hot and cold.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi haven't shown as much but have time. Khaira is a left wing and Slepyshev isn't as skilled as Rattie.

So...no?

Slepy got chances like Rattie but Rattie ran with it. Slepy would have glimpses and than vanish
Rattie was literally useless until he got an opportunity with McDavid.

Oh wait, forgot.. McDavid doesn't turn AHL'ers into good players according to you. It was all Rattie.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Rattie was literally useless until he got an opportunity with McDavid.

Oh wait, forgot.. McDavid doesn't turn AHL'ers into good players according to you. It was all Rattie.
Shouldn't you be happy we have found a potential top line RW for $800k? If he stops working there, send him down.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Shouldn't you be happy we have found a potential top line RW for $800k? If he stops working there, send him down.
I'm happy with the contract. I've seen posters penciling him as the #1 RW with RNH and McDavid next season and I see it as a huge mistake if that's the template going into the off-season.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I'm happy with the contract. I've seen posters penciling him as the #1 RW with RNH and McDavid next season and I see it as a huge mistake if that's the template going into the off-season.
Start him there and see how it goes. They should still be looking for two more top 6 wingers to ensure a solid 2nd line (and just to give Todd options as well). This shouldn't stop them from looking, it's a depth signing lottery ticket.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Puljujarvi had more minutes with McDavid than Rattie... Khaira isn't a top line skill player, he's a strong 4th line C. Slepyshev has flashes but hasn't put it all together. Rattie has had almost instant success with McDavid, which is why he stuck there.

Pulujarvi is 19 years old. He could very well be ready to go with him next year.

I have no idea if kharia who is a better player than rattie would be equally or more effective. He never got a chance.

As for slephyshev they wanted to get rid of him. I wonder what he'd look like with rnh and McDavid since he's got vastly superior skills than rattie.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Sleyshev would have a good game then go completely non existent or have a bad game. Rattie got top line minutes and produced consistently. He kept getting time because he produced. He did more with McDavid than Pulju did in less time.

Todd's MO seems to be for young guys, "if I give you top line minutes, play like a top line player and constantly earn that time" Rattie did that. The others were hot and cold.

Sends a ridiculous message you can go from AHL to first line with McDavid without having to work your way there. I have no doubt that should we see kharia or slephyshev (two players I consider superior to rattie) there would be compensable success for them.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Start him there and see how it goes. They should still be looking for two more top 6 wingers to ensure a solid 2nd line (and just to give Todd options as well). This shouldn't stop them from looking, it's a depth signing lottery ticket.
I agree. I would give it a shot in training camp again. I think it's a great signing, I was hoping he would be back. I also don't think we have the assets to make a move on forward and defense nor would it be smart to add significant cap going forward unless it's a sure thing. So guys like Rattie will be valuable if he can keep it going next season. On the contrary I think we're hooped if he doesn't maintain his production and no one else takes a step.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Pulujarvi is 19 years old. He could very well be ready to go with him next year.

I have no idea if kharia who is a better player than rattie would be equally or more effective. He never got a chance.

As for slephyshev they wanted to get rid of him. I wonder what he'd look like with rnh and McDavid since he's got vastly superior skills than rattie.
First, please spell players' names correctly if you want people to take you seriously. Three points:
1. Puljujarvi is 19 years old. Let him get more experience/confidence before you throw him up against the best players in the league night after night. If he proves he can handle more and Rattie falters, then bump him up and throw Rattie in the AHL.
2. Khaira is succeeding on the 4th line with spot duty on the third. Leave him in a position to succeed and let him slowly work his way up the lineup. Right now, he is doing well in the 3rd/4th line role and we don't have anyone that would perform as he does in that role. Let's not create more holes just for some experiments.
3. Slepyshev didn't look all that great with McDavid before and is extremely hot/cold. Let him show some more consistency and then reward solid play with extra shifts on the top lines.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sends a ridiculous message you can go from AHL to first line with McDavid without having to work your way there. I have no doubt that should we see kharia or slephyshev (two players I consider superior to rattie) there would be compensable success for them.
Slepy had chances and didn’t get it done. Rattie grinded in the minors all year kept doing his thing kept putting in work putting up points. Finally got a shot and made the most of it. What’s the problem here?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Slepy had chances and didn’t get it done. Rattie grinded in the minors all year kept doing his thing kept putting in work putting up points. Finally got a shot and made the most of it. What’s the problem here?

Finally got a shot? On the top line with McDavid? Um nail Yakupov had points with him.

It's clear this team is up against the cap and is going to act like rattie is so. Um great add when they have either better players playing lower on the team.

Rattie isn't a good player. McDavid is carrying him. He isn't even a 4th line player if he didn't have the best player in the world feeding him tap ins.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Finally got a shot? On the top line with McDavid? Um nail Yakupov had points with him.

It's clear this team is up against the cap and is going to act like rattie is so. Um great add when they have either better players playing lower on the team.

Rattie isn't a good player. McDavid is carrying him. He isn't even a 4th line player if he didn't have the best player in the world feeding him tap ins.
Who cares? He put up numbers there with consistency. Slep didn’t, Jesse didnt, drizz didn’t no one found a home there or showed any consistency on that line. He did he’s cheap this is perfect. Exactly the type of cheap plug and play option we need.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

All they need Rattie to be able to do is put the puck in the net. His junior career, and early NHL stint with McDavid would suggest that at this aspect of the game, he is better than Slepyshev and Khaira.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad