Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As BBO said, two would have been nice, but I wont complain for this at all.

Question for the cap gurus out there. (Calling @Fourier)

Rattie was a group VI UFA. Which means that because he had fewer than 80GP in the NHL by the time he was 25 he became a UFA.

If he hits 80 career games next year would he go back to being an RFA at the end of the season? He wouldn't qualify for being a group VI free agent anymore and he wont have enough pro years (7 required) or be old enough (27) to be a normal UFA. Or is it a case of once you become a group VI UFA there is no going back?
CapFriendly says he'll be an RFA.

Ty Rattie - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good signing. Rattie makes NHL money for another year either way, Oilers get to find out if he can play at the NHL level for an entire year.

I just hope that doesn’t mean we’re done chasing wingers. Going to need a lot more help than that.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I wonder if it’s the oilers or rattie that wanted a one year

Can understand why each would want a one year
Rattie agent would of pushed for 1 Oilers 2 , Rattie puts up 20 plus goals on McDavids wing it gives him a nice 3-4 year contract

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We can get away with RNH-McDavid-Rattie to start the year but only if we go out and get Draisaitl a legit winger to play with.
I agree. Obviously the hope would be that one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto show up in camp capable of being a top 6 winger, but I'd hope they don't plan for that to automatically happen (much like Lucic could bounce back as a 2nd line winger).

Imo they need to plan the lineup like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
xx-Drai-xx
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Caggiula/Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

The xx's need to be acquired, and if any of Lucic, Puljujarvi, or Yamamoto show capable of more then its a bonus for us. Ideally one of those wingers for Drai is a guy like Vanek who is older, but still produces and needs to be on a 1 or 2 year deal. The other could be acquired by trade, and can be a younger longer term contract or even a guy who needs a fresh start like Domi.

Reactions: Cypress

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Nothing wrong with that deal.

I'm not sure he's an NHLer anywhere besides McDavid's wing but he's good depth for 800k.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We can get away with RNH-McDavid-Rattie to start the year but only if we go out and get Draisaitl a legit winger to play with.

My concern with penciling Rattie in is what happens if in pre-season it turns out it was just a case of him catching lightning in a bottle and he's not actually an NHL caliber player? Rattie did enough that he should have a chance to earn a spot in camp. But you can't just give it to him and not have someone else who can step in in case he fails.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks!

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. He will need to play 1/2 of the season for that to actually be the case though.

But if we're in a scenario where he doesn't play at least 1/2 the season I'm not sure it will really matter if he's a UFA or not next summer.
I think the way to look at this was that he never actually became a UFA since his contract never expired so as you point out he is effectively in the same situation as he was going into this season. .

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Nothing wrong with that deal.

I'm not sure he's an NHLer anywhere besides McDavid's wing but he's good depth for 800k.

The good news is we only need him to be mcdavids winger. Get mcd the puck. Go to the net. Rinse repeat

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
My concern with penciling Rattie in is what happens if in pre-season it turns out it was just a case of him catching lightning in a bottle and he's not actually an NHL caliber player? Rattie did enough that he should have a chance to earn a spot in camp. But you can't just give it to him and not have someone else who can step in in case he fails.

Sign yak to an identical deal , or a two way gig. I think he’s up this year .

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I understand that concern, but at the same time its pretty clear by now that McDavid produces no matter who he plays with, and Nuge is more and enough support for him. I think in that scenario its likely either a young guy like Puljujarvi or Yamamoto could step in, or a depth winger could fill the hole. I'd be more concerned about the wingers Draisaitl gets.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It buys some time in case Yamamoto isn't ready. I suspect that Rattie wanted 1 year because if he does well he will be getting a big pay raise. The fact that Sekera and Russell could be moved by the time that Rattie needs to re-up could help him and us as well.

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would like to have gotten him on the Khaira deal but 1 year deal is fine too. I don't think stapling him to McDavid's line is a good idea but he has earned another look at least. I'm just glad they didn't let him walk, he could provide some solid depth at worst.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Well earned. Hope he can carry forward some of his success.

My worry is the way McLellan line blends, a player like this can be lost in the shuffle by game 10 or 15, but at the end of the day, it is up to Rattie whether he becomes a permanent NHL'er.

Hoping only for the best. Opens up the option of the offseason winger acquisition(s) being for Draisaitl.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
How fast he was signed says something

Rattie recognizes that he isn't going to get a better opportunity to salvage his career than the one he'll get here. Most teams aren't going to give him a shot in their top six let alone put him beside the best player in the league.

It's a great deal for Rattie and a nice low risk, high reward deal for the Oilers.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
No way do I ever give a player like Rattie (benefiting from McDavid effect) more than 2.5M on a long-term deal. Oilers have the leverage even if Rattie scores 20 goals and 50 points next year if it's playing 70% of the time with McDavid. Other teams will not view players of that ilk as anything more then beneficiaries of McDavid. It would be fantastic if he produces next year and the Oilers could sign him for 3 years at 2-2.5M per next summer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Thanks!

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. He will need to play 1/2 of the season for that to actually be the case though.

But if we're in a scenario where he doesn't play at least 1/2 the season I'm not sure it will really matter if he's a UFA or not next summer.

It shouldn’t, but look at Pitlick. Injuries kept him from being an RFA, and he just had 14 goals from the 4th line for Dallas. It’s never good to have players hit unrestricted free agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad