Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Finally got a shot? On the top line with McDavid? Um nail Yakupov had points with him.

It's clear this team is up against the cap and is going to act like rattie is so. Um great add when they have either better players playing lower on the team.

Rattie isn't a good player. McDavid is carrying him. He isn't even a 4th line player if he didn't have the best player in the world feeding him tap ins.
...and he's being paid like he isn't even a 4th line player, yet he's producing like a top 6 player. Leave him there until he runs out of steam then send him back to the AHL. I don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would have preferred more years as I beleive in Rattie to be atleast a 3rd liner. This one year contract will bite us in the ass when Rattie produces a full year next to McDavid. Another dumb gamble by Management.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
...and he's being paid like he isn't even a 4th line player, yet he's producing like a top 6 player. Leave him there until he runs out of steam then send him back to the AHL. I don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp.

What is difficult to grasp is this team as no where near playoffs. They dramatically need to improve their wingers.

The solution isn't to pay rattie to get spoon fed by McDavid. He needs genuine good quality wingers. Rattie is not one of them. He's not even better than our bottom six forwards.

Looks like rattie is McDavids winger next year which will be a horrible mistake. Won't move the needle at all for this team. Might as well put slephyshev there as it wouldn't be a monumental difference.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Would have preferred more years as I beleive in Rattie to be atleast a 3rd liner. This one year contract will bite us in the ass when Rattie produces a full year next to McDavid. Another dumb gamble by Management.

Chances are there is no way Rattie would have signed for more at that 800k. This is a chance to show that the small sample size was not a fluke and earn a long term deal.

Reactions: VainGretzky

North

Jun 25, 2009
What is difficult to grasp is this team as no where near playoffs. They dramatically need to improve their wingers.

The solution isn't to pay rattie to get spoon fed by McDavid. He needs genuine good quality wingers. Rattie is not one of them. He's not even better than our bottom six forwards.

Looks like rattie is McDavids winger next year which will be a horrible mistake. Won't move the needle at all for this team. Might as well put slephyshev there as it wouldn't be a monumental difference.

This is nonsense.

This is a show me contract for Rattie. If he can't then he ends up in the AHL.

I highly doubt this team is done looking for wingers considering the off season hasn't even started yet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Chances are there is no way Rattie would have signed for more at that 800k. This is a chance to show that the small sample size was not a fluke and earn a long term deal.
How bout 950k for 3 years.

North

Jun 25, 2009
How bout 950k for 3 years.

He wouldn't sign for that either because of the chance the successful small sample size was not an aberration.

This contract is more a risk for him than it is for the team.

If he can't replicate the end of season success with McDavid and RNH, the Oilers are going to move on.

If he can, then he will be in line for a nice raise but I don't think it's going to be a break the bank type of raise.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
First, please spell players' names correctly if you want people to take you seriously. Three points:
1. Puljujarvi is 19 years old. Let him get more experience/confidence before you throw him up against the best players in the league night after night.
Regarding the misspellings, I agree fully. My greatest pet peeve because I see it so often is people who can't spell Russell's name correctly. Folks, it's not hard; a Google search takes a few seconds if you're unsure. It makes you look sloppy (or worse).

As for the second point, Pulju is very young and needs time to mature. I don't know if he'll be a star but I think he'll be a good player.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Mcdavid has Nuge. Unlikely at any point he has 2 elite wingers flanking him with the way our team is structured. Rattie did better than anyone else on mcdavids right wing this year. That’s a fact. Doesn’t mean the offseason is over because we signed Ty Rattie. There’s no downside here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pulujarvi is 19 years old. He could very well be ready to go with him next year.

I have no idea if kharia who is a better player than rattie would be equally or more effective. He never got a chance.

As for slephyshev they wanted to get rid of him. I wonder what he'd look like with rnh and McDavid since he's got vastly superior skills than rattie.
We should try Pakarinen for a long stint on the top line, he could be better we don't know never got the chance /s

Rattie is a skilled player. His game is either top 6 or bust, that's his game.

Slepyshev more skilled than Rattie? Never showed it at any level.

In Slepyshevs draft +3 year he put up 1 point in 11 NHL games and 21 in 49 AHL games.

Rattie put up 48 points in 72 AHL games. Big difference there.

Rattie has always been a higher skilled player than Slepyshev. I don't understand why people think Slepyshev is this elite player that just needs to see time with elite players and will do wonders. He has played with McDavid and Drai and does absolutely nothing other than the occasional goal and people flip out that he is elite.

Khaira isnt getting tried with McDavid and RNH because it's much more important to have a right shot up there than a grinder. I absolutely love Khaira but his game is not a fit for the third guy of RNH and McDavid.

So getting upset that we signed a guy to a 800k contract in hopes that he can maybe continue his streak from this year and if not, no hurt to the org he goes to the AHL and is a vet precense there.... Getting upset about that is absolutely ridiculous.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mcdavid has Nuge. Unlikely at any point he has 2 elite wingers flanking him with the way our team is structured. Rattie did better than anyone else on mcdavids right wing this year. That’s a fact. Doesn’t mean the offseason is over because we signed Ty Rattie. There’s no downside here.
With how cheap the contract is we can still go out and sign and get 2 top 6 wingers (or hope Pulju or Yamamoto become that). In that case if Rattie doesn't work out still there. If he does work out holy shit we got a good winger on our third line which increases our depth. Who knew depth was good.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He wouldn't sign for that either because of the chance the successful small sample size was not an aberration.

This contract is more a risk for him than it is for the team.

If he can't replicate the end of season success with McDavid and RNH, the Oilers are going to move on.

If he can, then he will be in line for a nice raise but I don't think it's going to be a break the bank type of raise.

What... barely an NHLer 3 months ago wouldn't take 950K for 3 years guaranteed? Is that what you are saying?

North

Jun 25, 2009
What... barely an NHLer 3 months ago wouldn't take 950K for 3 years guaranteed? Is that what you are saying?

I'm not quite sure why that's a surprise to you.

What if he ends up tearing it up with McDavid and RNH like he did towards the end of his season?

You think he's going to be happy with 950K because he was "barely an NHLer 3 months ago"?

North

Jun 25, 2009
People generally had a tendency to bet on themselves, do you think Rattie is going into next season thinking he is going to fail and he should have just cashed in this year?

Not sure you can call an NHL salary of 950K a season cashing in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People generally had a tendency to bet on themselves, do you think Rattie is going into next season thinking he is going to fail and he should have just cashed in this year?

Id say people have differing thoughts on themselves. Who knows what Ratties' is. It's all speculation. I'm just saying, what would have been better for the team. My assessment, longer term little more money. So we can actually find a value contract. lets say he does EXACTLY what he did this year, then we looking at 2-3M longer term. And more wasted cap and not taking advantage of ELCs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not quite sure why that's a surprise to you.

What if he ends up tearing it up with McDavid and RNH like he did towards the end of his season?

You think he's going to be happy with 950K because he was "barely an NHLer 3 months ago"?

If he tears it up, of course he'll want more. That's why its DUMB that we didn't lock him up cheap long term before he does. Now were going to gift him minutes with the best player in the world, overinflate his value, then overpay for him. It's more bad moves by Oilers management,.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would have been happy with a 3 year deal because that's the Pitlick comparison, but a one year deal is okay. He's from a different org, so we know little about him still, and he had a spotty development. Maybe he is the type that needs to be in a contract year to really push himself to where he needs to be. One thing for sure: this upcoming season is the biggest year in Rattie's life. This could be the time where he becomes a regular NHLer or bombs out and doesn't return. I bet he will working his butt off this summer.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If he tears it up, of course he'll want more. That's why its DUMB that we didn't lock him up cheap long term before he does. Now were going to gift him minutes with the best player in the world, overinflate his value, then overpay for him. It's more bad moves by Oilers management,.

No player in their right mind and with a good agent would sign the contract you wanted him to.

You're complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shathar

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sign yak to an identical deal , or a two way gig. I think he’s up this year .
I actually thought he was pretty good at more than this. Might be the rest looked so bad but Rattie seems to fit and his defense isn't even real bad.
Keep him with McDavid as much as possible. Raise his value.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Pretty ridiculous. It takes two to tango. Guaranteed he wanted a 1 year with the way he finished the season. There’s also a big chance he flops and ends up back in Bakersfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad