Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If he tears it up, of course he'll want more. That's why its DUMB that we didn't lock him up cheap long term before he does. Now were going to gift him minutes with the best player in the world, overinflate his value, then overpay for him. It's more bad moves by Oilers management,.
You can’t force a player to sign a 2-3 year contract, not how it works

If we signed him to a 3 year contract and he flops I’m sure you would be on here complaining that we signed him to that and now he’s taking away time from prospects that have a future here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No player in their right mind and with a good agent would sign the contract you wanted him to.

You're complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

What reasoning do you have that it's a bad contract for him to sign?! Pitlick who was twice as proven as Rattie signed 3X1M. And you think it'd be sooooo detrimental for barely-an-NHLer Rattie to sign 3x950K? Are you kidding me?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You can’t force a player to sign a 2-3 year contract, not how it works

If we signed him to a 3 year contract and he flops I’m sure you would be on here complaining that we signed him to that and now he’s taking away time from prospects that have a future here

Yes you negotiate with a player to sign that contract. You don't know if Chia even tried to sign him to that contract. But to think that a player that's been bounced around the league, and just BARELY was given an opportunity this year to play wouldn't sign a 3 year contract is idiotic frankly. IF the contract was offered, he'd 100% take it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty ridiculous. It takes two to tango. Guaranteed he wanted a 1 year with the way he finished the season. There’s also a big chance he flops and ends up back in Bakersfield.

Well OBVIOUSLY we wanted a 1 year if that's what was signed. That's the problem, 3 years wasn't offered. When it should have been to give us a chance at a value contract down the road.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well OBVIOUSLY we wanted a 1 year if that's what was signed. That's the problem, 3 years wasn't offered. When it should have been to give us a chance at a value contract down the road.
and if he flops the Oilers are stuck with a one-way contract in the AHL for 3 years
that would be beyond dumb to sign him to that contract based on a tiny sample size

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You were at the negotiating table?

You can assume cause a player like Rattie who if not for injury and trades wouldn't have even got a shot this season would have signed a 3 year contract and ran. How anyone can think Rattie would turn DOWN a 3 year contract is beyond me.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
and if he flops the Oilers are stuck with a one-way contract in the AHL for 3 years
that would be beyond dumb to sign him to that contract based on a tiny sample size

EVERY contract is a gamble. Good teams are built on good contracts. Good contracts are made by making the right call and then gambling in hopes of getting a value contract. So you see what Rattie has done this year, as a management group you decide if that's going to continue happening moving forward. If you think it's going to, you lock him up for 3 years DIRT CHEAP. If you don't you do that 1 year thing and see, with the gamble being he'll be much more expensive if he does the SAME thing he's already proven he can do.

My opinion is that Rattie works on McDavid's line, and at the worst case scenario he's a 3rd liner on this team. That's worth cheap 1Mx3 gamble.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You can assume cause a player like Rattie who if not for injury and trades wouldn't have even got a shot this season would have signed a 3 year contract and ran. How anyone can think Rattie would turn DOWN a 3 year contract is beyond me.
I think he would turn it down for sure. In fact I guarantee his agent would advise him to turn down a 3 year deal for under one mil per with the success he had in a small sample size.

Reactions: VainGretzky

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
at the worst case scenario he's a 3rd liner on this team. That's worth cheap 1Mx3 gamble.
I disagree that this is the downside. There’s no scenario where Rattie is a 3rd line player. He’s a top 6 or bust type of player. He’s either RW with Drai or mcd or he’s in the AHL. If Jesse and Kailer both have great camps very good chance he’s back in the AHL.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think he would turn it down for sure. In fact I guarantee his agent would advise him to turn down a 3 year deal for under one mil per with the success he had in a small sample size.

Ty Rattie who bounced between the AHL and NHL for 4 years with limited success. Was bounced by 2 NHL teams. Who only saw time in the NHL this year due to injury and lack of team depth. Who only saw success because he was gifted minutes with a piping hot McDavid-Nuge connection. If you think this type of player would TURN DOWN a 3 year NHL contract your flippin crazy.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Ty Rattie who bounced between the AHL and NHL for 4 years with limited success. Was bounced by 2 NHL teams. Who only saw time in the NHL this year due to injury and lack of team depth. Who only saw success because he was gifted minutes with a piping hot McDavid-Nuge connection. If you think this type of player would TURN DOWN a 3 year NHL contract your flippin crazy.
A 3rd liner, as you stated would be the worst case scenario, makes more than that over 3 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Absolutely. He’s 25. I guarantee his agent would turn it down.

Reactions: VainGretzky

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I don't think Rattie would reject a 3 years @ 975 k contract. He would make 2.925 M in three years, then he would have enough money to start over in life if his hockey career fails. But he could also have eyes on playing in Europe if his NHL dreams fail, which would make him reject this contract.

It's a 50/50.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A 3rd liner, as you stated would be the worst case scenario, makes more than that over 3 years.

Which is why its a bad call not to sign him up for longer term. Now we watch him do exactly as he did this last season, except now McDavid will inflate his value to that of a 1st line winger. We pay him his overinflated value and no chance at a value contract so many other teams have.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They're not fringe players if they're considered 3rd liners at worst. You're arguing both sides here...

No my assessment is that he's going to work out as a winger for McDavid and atleast as a 3rd line option. His assessment coming off 2 NHL teams, limited NHL opportunity, and mediocre success in the AHL should be that of a fringe player. You sign him with those in mind.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Players on the fringe like Rattie don't turn down guaranteed money and guaranteed NHL contract years. They just don't. You are wrong.
Coming off the stretch he had in the nhl yes they would. Your wrong. I know how agents work.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Coming off the stretch he had in the nhl yes they would. Your wrong. I know how agents work.
A 14 game stretch that was only successful because he was gifted time with a hot McDavid-Nuge connection would be enough for an agent to turn down an extra 2 Million and 2 years of NHL contract years? No f***in way. Players like Rattie are dime a dozen in the NHL, and 90% of them don't get that contract opportunity.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
A 14 game stretch that was only successful because he was gifted time with a hot McDavid-Nuge connection would be enough for an agent to turn down an extra 2 Million and 2 years of NHL contract years? No ****in way. Players like Rattie are dime a dozen in the NHL, and 90% of them don't get that contract opportunity.
He put up numbers in those 14 games that’s all the agent sees. He sees that he’s negotiating for a short term. It’s how it works. Agents don’t care about the circumstances of why he put up numbers.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes you negotiate with a player to sign that contract. You don't know if Chia even tried to sign him to that contract. But to think that a player that's been bounced around the league, and just BARELY was given an opportunity this year to play wouldn't sign a 3 year contract is idiotic frankly. IF the contract was offered, he'd 100% take it.
And you dont know that he didn't...

Were you there during negotiations?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He put up numbers in those 14 games that’s all the agent sees. He sees that he’s negotiating for a short term. It’s how it works. Agents don’t care about the circumstances of why he put up numbers.

No agents see much more than just raw point totals. If they don't they are a bad agent not fit to represent that players' best interests. A good agent would look at the context of those points, the context of those points in view of Ratties whole career potential and then advise what would be the best course to take. The best course of course being MORE MONEY, MORE YEARS, if it was offered (it wasn't).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And you dont know that he didn't...

Were you there during negotiations?

If it was offered it would have been accepted. Fringe NHLers who get bounced around by multiple teams BARELY getting a shot at the NHL don't hold out for better contracts in the future if one was shown to them right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad