Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Rattie recognizes that he isn't going to get a better opportunity to salvage his career than the one he'll get here. Most teams aren't going to give him a shot in their top six let alone put him beside the best player in the league.

It's a great deal for Rattie and a nice low risk, high reward deal for the Oilers.
Sure but it's obvious they did not want him in FA , also his agent would of encouraged him to re-sign with Oilers if he clicks good with McDavid all season he will be in the 3 mill range next contract

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Sure but it's obvious they did not want him in FA , also his agent would of encouraged him to re-sign with Oilers if he clicks good with McDavid all season he will be in the 3 mill range next contract

I think it’s a rather slippery slope. He overperforms, he’ll price himself out of a job. His agents needs to find the sweet spot for him. I’d say it’s more lucrative as a fringe NHLer to keep yourself in the game. If Rattie scores 20 goals next season and isn’t giving up more than he gets playing with the best player in he world, a 5-year deal at $2.25M gives him security and a payday over time. Sure maybe you chase a 2 year $3.5M deal... and get bought out after 1 year. Get big in your community and get those advertisement deals young Ty.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I’m sure he’ll tank it next season and it’ll be another problem to deal with lol

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think it’s a rather slippery slope. He overperforms, he’ll price himself out of a job. His agents needs to find the sweet spot for him. I’d say it’s more lucrative as a fringe NHLer to keep yourself in the game. If Rattie scores 20 goals next season and isn’t giving up more than he gets playing with the best player in he world, a 5-year deal at $2.25M gives him security a a payday over time. Sure maybe you chase a 2 year $3.5M deal... and get bought out after 1 year. Get big in your community and get those advertisement deals young Ty.
Seriously when was the last time someone in sports priced themselves out of a contract by over preforming , name one. If he puts up 50 plus points he will get a contract what are Oilers gonna do not qualify him ? Then he becomes a UFA at 26 lol teams will know then he produces with skill and natural RW right shots are a minority in the NHL he gets a deal for 3 million whether it's one year or more

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I’m sure he’ll tank it next season and it’ll be another problem to deal with lol

He'll probably pull a Slepyshev/Caggiula. I'm fine with the deal but I hope Chiarelli isn't banking on Rattie being our top RWer next season. That's the mistake he made last season with certain players on our roster, assuming linear progression

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He'll probably pull a Slepyshev/Caggiula. I'm fine with the deal but I hope Chiarelli isn't banking on Rattie being our top RWer next season. That's the mistake he made last season with certain players on our roster, assuming linear progression
Agreed we need two more wingers imo Vanek would be a good pickup

Reactions: McDrai

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Great signing. I was advocating two years before, but after reading input from others this actually seems like the ideal contract for both sides. He's forced to prove himself to earn the 2nd+ year(s), and if he does so, could see a nice pay raise in a year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As BBO said, two would have been nice, but I wont complain for this at all.

Question for the cap gurus out there. (Calling @Fourier)

Rattie was a group VI UFA. Which means that because he had fewer than 80GP in the NHL by the time he was 25 he became a UFA.

If he hits 80 career games next year would he go back to being an RFA at the end of the season? He wouldn't qualify for being a group VI free agent anymore and he wont have enough pro years (7 required) or be old enough (27) to be a normal UFA. Or is it a case of once you become a group VI UFA there is no going back?

He will be back to RFA and thus can be qualified at a very low rate or not at all hence the logic of signing him to a one year deal. Very good low risk contract for the Oilers.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Seriously when was the last time someone in sports priced themselves out of a contract by over preforming , name one. If he puts up 50 plus points he will get a contract what are Oilers gonna do not qualify him ? Then he becomes a UFA at 26 lol teams will know then he produces with skill and natural RW right shots are a minority in the NHL he gets a deal for 3 million whether it's one year or more

Perhaps I should have said, price himself out of a job with us. I can absolutely see him has moderate success and go off to a team that doesn't have someone to carry him or the fit will be off or any of a hundred reasons why fringe players lose their niche. He's a player with adequate skill, smarts and a touch of chemistry that McDavid and Nuge can use as a weapon. I can certainly see that over Rattie just needing a McBoost for 1.5 seasons to unlock his hidden potential and is now a self-starting star ready to beam across the skies of some other NHL city.

I'd love for the kid to seize it and grab it and prove me wrong and earn his stripes as a legit Top-9 NHLer. But I hope he's option b and we are shopping for a Top-6 RW to keep him down.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Perhaps I should have said, price himself out of a job with us. I can absolutely see him has moderate success and go off to a team that doesn't have someone to carry him or the fit will be off or any of a hundred reasons why fringe players lose their niche. He's a player with adequate skill, smarts and a touch of chemistry that McDavid and Nuge can use as a weapon. I can certainly see that over Rattie just needing a McBoost for 1.5 seasons to unlock his hidden potential and is now a self-starting star ready to beam across the skies of some other NHL city.

I'd love for the kid to seize it and grab it and prove me wrong and earn his stripes as a legit Top-9 NHLer. But I hope he's option b and we are shopping for a Top-6 RW to keep him down.
That makes more sense , one thing for sure and I do agree with you is he can price himself out of Edmonton. I wish him the best ,I obviously have been a big booster of him but it goes back to WHL playoffs against Oil Kings and watching his skill level and eagerness to shoot which is really lacking on this team. I also still beleive he will do great on McDavid line if left there all season , and he was a victim of RW depth in St.Louis , I think we have a diamond in the rough.

Reactions: Soli

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Here is an interesting comp when talking about late bloomers who ended up playing with superstars:

Matt Moulson

Age 22- 0.74 PPG in AHL
Age 23- 0.98 PPG in AHL
Age 24- 0.87 PPG in AHL
Age 25- 0.58 PPG in NHL

Ty Rattie

Age 22- 0.74 PPG in AHL
Age 23- 0.22 PPG in AHL
Age 24- 0.81 PPG in AHL
Age 25- ??? (0.64 PPG in NHL to end 17-18)

Rattie's development obviously was interrupted by that rough 16-17 when he deal with injuries and playing for two different orgs, so it should not be a surprise that he is a later bloomer than most.

The AHL numbers are otherwise dead even, and his hot stretch to end the year with McDavid and the Oilers was actually close to Moulson's pace during his first full year playing with Tavares.

If JT could make Moulson into a 50+ point guy, I can see 35+ points from Rattie next year on McDavid and RNH's line without much trouble. That's the benefit of having a generational player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That makes more sense , one thing for sure and I do agree with you is he can price himself out of Edmonton. I wish him the best ,I obviously have been a big booster of him but it goes back to WHL playoffs against Oil Kings and watching his skill level and eagerness to shoot which is really lacking on this team. I also still beleive he will do great on McDavid line if left there all season , and he was a victim of RW depth in St.Louis , I think we have a diamond in the rough.
Good news is, is if he wants too much oilers can just qualify him and keep him for another year at 800k

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Good news is, is if he wants too much oilers can just qualify him and keep him for another year at 800k
They can qualify him but the still have to negotiate his contract , he still is a RFA qualifying just retains his rights . I am not sure if he would have arbritation , I am not up to date on how that works , someone in here would

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's eligible for arbitration next season if he hits 80 career games. If not as has been discussed he'll just be a UFA at seasons end.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I agree. Obviously the hope would be that one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto show up in camp capable of being a top 6 winger, but I'd hope they don't plan for that to automatically happen (much like Lucic could bounce back as a 2nd line winger).

Imo they need to plan the lineup like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
xx-Drai-xx
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Caggiula/Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

The xx's need to be acquired, and if any of Lucic, Puljujarvi, or Yamamoto show capable of more then its a bonus for us. Ideally one of those wingers for Drai is a guy like Vanek who is older, but still produces and needs to be on a 1 or 2 year deal. The other could be acquired by trade, and can be a younger longer term contract or even a guy who needs a fresh start like Domi.
When looking at that lineup it becomes very clear that the team cannot afford to lose Lucic. It will be back to the skinny kids on the block if he is gone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good. I like Rattie and he knows how to play with McDavid.

Reminds me of a little more skilled Zach Hyman, fast on the forecheck and knows where to be on the ice.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I agree. Obviously the hope would be that one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto show up in camp capable of being a top 6 winger, but I'd hope they don't plan for that to automatically happen (much like Lucic could bounce back as a 2nd line winger).

Imo they need to plan the lineup like this:

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
xx-Drai-xx
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Caggiula/Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

The xx's need to be acquired, and if any of Lucic, Puljujarvi, or Yamamoto show capable of more then its a bonus for us. Ideally one of those wingers for Drai is a guy like Vanek who is older, but still produces and needs to be on a 1 or 2 year deal. The other could be acquired by trade, and can be a younger longer term contract or even a guy who needs a fresh start like Domi.

I think Domi can be had and would look good out there with Drai

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Don't like the deal.

Slephyshev khaira pulujarvi Yamamoto are all better than him.

Hes just getting an opportunity none of them are.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don't like the deal.

Slephyshev khaira pulujarvi Yamamoto are all better than him.

Hes just getting an opportunity none of them are.

Respectfully Disagree. He had a few games, and seized the opportunity. Slepyshev hasn’t. Khaira does not have the offensive chops and pedigree Rattie has. Yam had 9 games with 97 - did nothing - and perhaps will one day but he needs to develop. PJ plays too immature a game, also needs to develop. Like Yam he will be better though for sure.

For a one year deal, this is a good signing.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Excellent start.
The only way this will impact other players is if they don't outplay him. 800k is press box fodder or AHL bound.
Slepy is not better. Khaira and Puljujarvi have both earned their spot already.
This allows options but doesn't hinder the team from acquiring better ones. What's not to like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad