Confirmed with Link: Rattie signs one year deal 800k

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No agents see much more than just raw point totals. If they don't they are a bad agent not fit to represent that players' best interests. A good agent would look at the context of those points, the context of those points in view of Ratties whole career potential and then advise what would be the best course to take. The best course of course being MORE MONEY, MORE YEARS, if it was offered (it wasn't).
That’s not the best course at all. The agent is saying you finished the season producing. Sign for one year and cash in on a multi million dollar deal with term after you keep producing next year.

Reactions: VainGretzky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That’s not the best course at all. The agent is saying you finished the season producing. Sign for one year and cash in on a multi million dollar deal with term after you keep producing next year.

No. He's saying look if it wasn't for injuries and the Oilers playoff hopes being long gone forcing them to trade some players for future assets you wouldn't have even got a cup of coffee at the NHL level this year. Plus you barely got a shot last year, and the ones you've had before you didn't do anything with. If I were you Ty, I'd take the 3 million dollars.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
If I was Rattie I would take the 1yr because I would believe I could prove that I belong next year. After that best case is a juicy longer term contract and worst case is pretty much what he has now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No. He's saying look if it wasn't for injuries and the Oilers playoff hopes being long gone forcing them to trade some players for future assets you wouldn't have even got a cup of coffee at the NHL level this year. Plus you barely got a shot last year, and the ones you've had before you didn't do anything with. If I were you Ty, I'd take the 3 million dollars.
That’s not how it works. At least one of those is ufa years too. Agents don’t have this mentality. Look around at how things actually work.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That’s not how it works. At least one of those is ufa years too. Agents don’t have this mentality. Look around at how things actually work.

Agents don't have a mentality to get their clients the most money possible? You got to be kidding me.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I disagree that this is the downside. There’s no scenario where Rattie is a 3rd line player. He’s a top 6 or bust type of player. He’s either RW with Drai or mcd or he’s in the AHL. If Jesse and Kailer both have great camps very good chance he’s back in the AHL.
Pretty sure they would keep him around as 13th forward for a while just in case of injuries ,and the fact he would most likely plucked of waivers . I am sure he will get a look again on top line to start the season

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Agents don't have a mentality to get their clients the most money possible? You got to be kidding me.
No they don’t just take the most guaranteed money all the time lol. If they did every young player would have low aav long term deals but young players constantly bargain for short term deals when they’re on the cusp of breaking out all the time. This is the real world. I don’t know where your at.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Wouldn't mind them bringing back Maroon for reasonable money.

Would think that 2.5-2.75 for 3 years would do it. Absolutely wouldn't offer more than 3 years (and would prefer 2) and wouldn't cross the 3M line.

Rattie has more offensive finish than Caggiulla, Aberg, Pakarainen and Slepy.

North

Jun 25, 2009

If you think an agent sees Rattie producing the way he did at the end of the season and then goes on to sign the contract you suggested you are the one kidding yourself.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If rattie is confident in his abilities he believes he’s gonna break out, and then what is more money, 3x1 or 800kx1 and 2x2.5

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes you negotiate with a player to sign that contract. You don't know if Chia even tried to sign him to that contract. But to think that a player that's been bounced around the league, and just BARELY was given an opportunity this year to play wouldn't sign a 3 year contract is idiotic frankly. IF the contract was offered, he'd 100% take it.

How do you know that he would "100%' take it unless you know Rattie personally. Maybe he believes that he can contribute in a top 6 role next season and get a bigger payday afterwards. I'd prefer if he was signed an extra year like Khaira was but can't really complain about a 1 year "show me" contract.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
How do you know that he would "100%' take it unless you know Rattie personally. Maybe he believes that he can contribute in a top 6 role next season and get a bigger payday afterwards. I'd prefer if he was signed an extra year like Khaira was but can't really complain about a 1 year "show me" contract.
A 2 year contract would also make him a ufa at the end of it , at least with a one year show me we control his rights .

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's still had 2 RFA years left? Had no idea.
Pretty sure you become a UFA at 27 regardless 25 if you burn the 1st 3years of your elc like Gagner with 7 years service , someone will correct me if I am wrong .Edit I found this , it seems it is 27

D5Vm45y.png

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Good signing for what he did this year. He is the guy i had mocked going to the Oilers instead of friggin David Musil in that draft year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What reasoning do you have that it's a bad contract for him to sign?! Pitlick who was twice as proven as Rattie signed 3X1M. And you think it'd be sooooo detrimental for barely-an-NHLer Rattie to sign 3x950K? Are you kidding me?

More proven? I don't see that.

Pitlick last year - 25 years old, former 31st pick overall, 58 NHL games, 11 G, 3 A, 10 PIM, and ton of IR time. AHL stats - 28G, 57A, 85 in 196 games
Rattie this year - 25 years old, former 32nd pick overall, 48 NHL games, 9 G, 10 A, 8 PIM. AHL stats - 92 G, 92 A, 184 points in 268 games.

They are pretty much the same player stats and pedigree-wise in the NHL, and Rattie's AHL offense is significantly better. But the personal circumstances are where things take a different turn.

Pitlick signed his knowing he's a likely 3rd or 4th liner where another injury likely results in no further NHL contracts. Security looks really good here.

Rattie is signing his knowing he has a chance to play with the game's best player for at least some games next year, but if it doesn't work out his pedigree still likely gets him one more contract (even it is only a two way).

Very different circumstances. I just can't see Rattie signing the Pitlick contract as the potential payoff far outweighs the "security" in his circumstance.

I like the signing, if he plays well next year, we likely flip him into an RFA and then we can make the decision next year. If he fails, he'll just be a UFA and we can easily hide his cap next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterD

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pretty sure you become a UFA at 27 regardless 25 if you burn the 1st 3years of your elc like Gagner with 7 years service , someone will correct me if I am wrong .Edit I found this , it seems it is 27

D5Vm45y.png

You're right, but there's also the Group 6 UFAs who are 25, played 3 pro season, but haven't played enough games in the NHL to remain RFA. Rattie was in this category this year as was Pitlick last year.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Good deal for both sides. If he plays with McD all year he'll earn himself a nice contract somewhere, if not he's cheap and good AHL depth.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wouldn't mind them bringing back Maroon for reasonable money.

Would think that 2.5-2.75 for 3 years would do it. Absolutely wouldn't offer more than 3 years (and would prefer 2) and wouldn't cross the 3M line.

Rattie has more offensive finish than Caggiulla, Aberg, Pakarainen and Slepy.
I don't know about Maroon. Maybe next season's plan is to have the top six LWers be RNH and Lucic, with the chance that Aberg and Khaira play up there a bit.

I am open to us trading RNH for the right Dman, so in that situation I'd definitely down with signing a winger, whether it be Maroon or maybe Kane. Some people like Vanek (not sure on that one)

I do agree with you on Rattie, although he was just finding his finish towards the end there. His real strength imo is that he really reads the offensive zone well, and will put himself open in the right spot at the right time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know about Maroon. Maybe next season's plan is to have the top six LWers be RNH and Lucic, with the chance that Aberg and Khaira play up there a bit.

I am open to us trading RNH for the right Dman, so in that situation I'd definitely down with signing a winger, whether it be Maroon or maybe Kane. Some people like Vanek (not sure on that one)

I do agree with you on Rattie, although he was just finding his finish towards the end there. His real strength imo is that he really reads the offensive zone well, and will put himself open in the right spot at the right time.

I really hope we don't do that. I'd rather see him get a full season with McDavid. Something tells me with the way those two connected last year, and the way Nuge's wrister looked, we could be looking at a 30+ goal scorer on that line.

I just don't think there's a D out there that we're going to get for RNH that would be worth that loss. Maybe its just coincidence, but I have never seen McDavid look as good as he did with Nuge in that short 12-15 games sample. I want to see more.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'd rather us get someone else with experience.

Like it or not this team needs value contracts, Rattie showed a bit of chemistry with McDavid, there's no guarantee an "experienced" winger will have that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad