Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really don't know what some of you realistically expected to have happened, there was nothing out there that was affordable and was going to make a significant difference against BOS and FLA.
As Tre put in this tweet "the answers MUST come from the guys in the room already i.e. Core players" (paraphrasing). They are paid well. They need to show that it is worth throwing away Leafs futures for them

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
B-. Added three players who could (should?) be mainstays in the lineup without subtracting anything from the current team. While the acquisitions weren't particularly earth-shattering, the prices paid generally reflected that.

Last edited:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
C+, didn't hurt the future because nothing hecoukd do to put us over the top.
NMC has us tied up.
Guys he picked up will assist.
But could have got rid Kampf, maybe moved Reilly, Robertson or Reaves or Bert for higher impact.
He tinkered like Dubas..but what can you do with this core.
Looking forward to seeing if Mitchy is allowed to play offense which is what he does best.
If AM gets some balls, if WN stays interested enough to do what is right and play like Mitchy should, up ice.
Keefes last chance, Brad stood behind him, his last chance. Ruff could have been here.

Reactions: ToneDog

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
C-. Added depth at D even though we traded too many picks to do it. Replacement level players which is not great
Added another PK forward C.
Also didn't give more help to a core that doesn't deserve it so thats a positive.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Didn’t get rid of any prospects and the expiring contracts weren’t worth anything.

Either the team wins a round or two or they’ll be making some big decisions, likely around Marner, in the off-season
Don't kid yourself my friend. Even if they lose in the first round, Marner is not going anywhere.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
the Leafs have added significantlt at the trade deadline and in the offseason for years. its time to build continuity and let the Stars take the Leafs to the promise land. If the stars cant do it then you make changes in the offseason.

Marner and his shinny style of hockey have to go in the long run. Most of the defense contracts are up so Treliving can remake the defense in the summer. I like his philosophy. Big strong defense. small skilled dmen wont get you anywhere.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't kid yourself my friend. Even if they lose in the first round, Marner is not going anywhere.
If they lose in round #1, I'll be pulling for Hymie to win the cup and tell Shanny to kiss his ass. LOL.

My head spins I mean how did Shanny grow from "We expect our young guys to give us discounts to keep them together"
to
"pay them whatever they way"

Boggles my mind
He's a politician. He can suck and blow at the same time.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Didn't put us any closer to winning the cup, he's far worse than Dubas. People will realise in short order.
Or are Pens fans learning? They don’t seem to pleased either.

I gave him a B-, three decent adds and we had nothing to work with. I never saw a big add coming so maybe I’m less disappointed than some.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
He essentially did the walmart version of the "Tanev+Zadorov" trade rumoured that was rumoured earlier this year.
Beyond Hanifin & Gunetzel there were no players that deserved being traded for a first, so I'm happy we stuck to our guns and didn't spend the first.
I think Dewar is a smart add.
Overall: C+

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The issue is we are likely resigning Marner at 12-12.5M x 8. I would rather him walk and use the cap space elsewhere. JT has another year until we get cap relief. So next year will probably be similar to this year tbh.
Doesn't have to be .an early exit and just don't negotiate with those two early
Let them sulk and ask for trades

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m a little torn to be perfectly honest. Tentatively, a B probably. I’d grade it incomplete. One because I think we didn’t do enough, but I recognize you can’t do everything at this point. The bigger thing to me is do we manage to retain the players we just gave up assets for? If they walk after the playoffs I become far more critical. I did not want rentals, but since we’re here now, just get them signed. We need guys to stay and be part of the solution. Can’t just keep acquiring every year and letting them go.

I like the added size, nastiness. 3 of the moves made all seem to directly address the PK. I love that, if it works out. It was a major need.

I like we retained all our top prospects and youth: Minten, Knies, Robertson etc

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He didn't do great, but didn't do terrible. There was no point to sell the farm when we are most likely not beating Boston/Florida. Sadly that the way it looks...

But when you see Dumba + Zadorov cost less then Lybushkin + Edmundson (I think) you can't be too happy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably a c+ to b-

The Leafs didn't spend any assets worth lamenting over and will be able to make use of the guys they got. That said none of the new guys are going to be super impactful either.

The two D men are a bit redundant given that both are bottom pairing usage guys who can't move the puck to save their lives (even though the physicality is needed).

Dewar has the potential to have the biggest and longest lasting impact. My favorite of the additions

Reactions: nuck

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I went with D. Ultimately, he didn't tie the team down to long term deals or mortgage a lot of the future; so, an F would be a bit too far.

I get some people here have hopes for the playoffs and will be angry as usual very soon; but, this team can't win in the playoffs with Keefe. They also have critical flaws you will not patch on TDL day. Why go all in on an average hand?

Reactions: OddyOh

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
In the pre-TDL poll, I voted stand pat, so this is on par with what I wanted. Only exception would have been acquiring a top 4D solution with term, and none made sense.

After years of bleeding assets, we need a mini retool with 2x drafts of 1st rd pick selections to replenish the pool. Cowan + '24 1st will go a long way in doing that, and we couldn't afford going another two consecutive years without a 1st.

Also sends a message to the core that they will be going in as underdogs and have not warranted going all-in for. It's now on them to step up, or this summer could get interesting.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I gave him a B+.

I get why some people are frustrated that he didn’t do more. Believe me, I hear you on that front. But realistically, what could he really do? I don't think people fully realize how badly Dubas completely f***ed and depleted our draft capital over the years with the ridiculously stupid moves he made. The majority of which turned out to be pure rentals.
I think the difference between Dubas and Tre is that Dubas seemed to be just adding stuff "hoping" it would work more than methodical team building. Thus the constant exit of draft capital every deadline. He had to make it work because he built it and was jamming himself up. Tre can come in and start to build it his way and get bigger D etc. Whether or not it's going to make a difference having monsters who can't move the puck is yet to be seen...but at least he has a vision and is sticking to it and not wasting picks on hope.

9/10 deadline deals for big names never work out anyways....it's usually the depth guys who end up making a bigger difference relative to cost. Let's see how this plays out....worse thing that can happen is we punk out as per usual and at least we still have Minten, Cowan and a 1st.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't know how anyone could like his deadline. If you think the team is too far away from being able to compete and too short on future assets, he should have sold some players off rather than jettison even more picks away. If you think the team should be trying to compete given they only have Matthews for a few more years, he did pretty much nothing to make the team better today. It's okay to admit he's been a bad GM so far, we've certainly seen our share of bad GMs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00