• F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why would I be able to name them? The players we see moved or hear/know to be available are always far from what teams are willing to listen on/move, right? I’m not in the room - I don’t know what was possible, but I’d be shocked if there weren’t moves available to us. There’s a discussion we could have around if the specific moves we could have made would have been the right ones, but don’t tell me there’s been no opportunities to trade for top 4 D since Tre was hired back in June. I flat out do not buy that.

Also all your condescension aside I never said Brodie and scraps. We have assets that can absolutely get a top 4 defenseman. It’s assinine to suggest otherwise.
Yea, you did say Brodie.
I still say it could have been done this year if they’d moved Brodie out in the deal. Cap in, cap out, expiring deal, shouldn’t have been an issue. Long term, Tavares deal comes off the books in a year, but I don’t want to waste a year waiting for that. I would say tough decisions need to be made, and they do, but we have little actual control until a year out from now.

Ok specific names aside, what do you think it would have taken to land a Top 4 RHD with at least a couple of years on their contract?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Keefe will have his work cut out for him with figuring out the D pairings. Only two guys on the backend really have the ability move th puck offensively, or even the ability for zone exits
Keefe has his work cut out for him figuring out what to have for dinner.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Keefe will have his work cut out for him with figuring out the D pairings. Only two guys on the backend really have the ability move th puck offensively, or even the ability for zone exits
I think McCabe, and to some extent Brodie have that ability at times as well.

Your point stands though. It will be tough to figure out the best pairings with this group.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
After years and years of burning away draft picks for it to move the needle barely anywhere soured me on spending any significant assets to "upgrade" this year. Especially considering Dubas spending spree last trade deadline and the lack of picks we had because of it.

Honestly likes the Edmundson trade. He's brings in something we don't have back there. Lyub I'm indifferent on, and don't know enough about the other fellow to have an opinion worth anything.

It's definitely not a good deadline by any means, but it's a deadline I would've likely done similar if I was in his position.

We ride or die by the big boys -- if they're going to disappear what's the point? Might as well try to grab another Cowan.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm shocked Tre didn't trade our 1st for Erik Karlsson...Dubas would have said no though...:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yea, you did say Brodie.

Ok specific names aside, what do you think it would have taken to land a Top 4 RHD with at least a couple of years on their contract?

I said move Brodie to balance cap. I never suggested Brodie and scraps gets you a top 4.

1st, a top prospect, and probably more. We have the assets it’s just a matter of having the stomach for it.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
After years and years of burning away draft picks for it to move the needle barely anywhere soured me on spending any significant assets to "upgrade" this year. Especially considering Dubas spending spree last trade deadline and the lack of picks we had because of it.

Honestly likes the Edmundson trade. He's brings in something we don't have back there. Lyub I'm indifferent on, and don't know enough about the other fellow to have an opinion worth anything.

It's definitely not a good deadline by any means, but it's a deadline I would've likely done similar if I was in his position.

We ride or die by the big boys -- if they're going to disappear what's the point? Might as well try to grab another Cowan.
Or maybe trade one or two of the "big boys".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The grade on Trelivings Trade Deadline, and season, will be based on the results, not our perception of whether we liked the deals or not.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The grade on Trelivings Trade Deadline, and season, will be based on the results, not our perception of whether we liked the deals or not.

Agreed. This and whether he’s able to keep any of the UFAs he brought in beyond this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad