Votes: 31 10.1%
  • D

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • F

Votes: 48 15.6%

• Total voters

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
How did Tre do given draft capital/assets available, team's performance this season; and taking into account the historical performance of the core guys

I give him A-

I am happy he didn't do much and mortgage the future too much. We need to see MORE from matthews, marner, nylander in the post season before we invest any more significant draft capital/futures for help now.

What about you?
In all fairness ,both tavaras and Nylander may have to be off the books to really change the barometer in a favorable direction
Or this group can play fearless hockey and win a few rounds
I can't have it both ways
No way the wealthiest hockey club in the world should be watching VEGAS start a poss8ble dynasty with for players eating up 45 million dollars

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
A-

We still have our 1st, Minton, Nyes, and Cowan.

We needed a RHD and we got one.

We needed more depth on D. We got more.

We needed help on the PK and we got a defensive forward plus D that can help on the PK.

People forget that Bertuzzi and Domi were acquisitions that help round out TOR's top 9.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
B+ from this fan only because he sent out pics for players that will not move the needle but he did good on not trading away the 1st round pick and the better prospects.

The salary cap makes it difficult to make any impact trade since the team is very close to the top of cap and that would have meant trading existing roster players out to bring in other players that could have had some impact.

As such, not many options for the Leafs to make a big splash on trade deadline this will have to be done off season.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
F

I'd rather have Guentzel than all the guys Treliving brought in combined. The return for Guentzel was pretty lackluster. Treliving almost certainly could have matched it.

That's not even mentioning missing out on his primary acquisition targets in Tanev and Hanifin.

He failed to get the players he wanted. He settled on other players of lesser quality. And he paid a pretty big price to add a bunch of guys who don't move the needle.

If that's not a failing grade then I don't know what is.
Flames management handcuffed their own GM in many ways this deadline including not wanting him to deal with BT. They blocked a trade with the Devils for Markstrom.
Hanifin didnt want to play in Canada and Tanez can be had for free this summer if they were asking for more from us.
Similar I didnt see KD making life easy on Brad or Shanny.
Two rugged D that can be signed if they workout for cheap and a cost controlled PKer for late picks.
Trade our 1st at the draft to Chicago or Arizona for multiple 2nds and move some of our depth players for picks

Reactions: phillipmike

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tre got us a couple big nasty defensive minded D men to fight da fight against Bruins and Cats .. da playoffs in our division will be 2 wars .. it won't be hockey like most of you guys think .. it will be a blood bath .. da refs won't call anything unless it stops a scoring chance .. and it will be a war of attrition .. they will be largely low scoring games won with few PPs and PKs .. grinding teams are gonna win .. skill will again only matter on PP .. it is gonna be close .. we can play Boosh Joel and then Benoit McCabe to close out games now for last 10 minutes .. high and hard off glass to kill 10 minutes is possible now .. it will come down to Sammy/Woll vs. Ullmark/Swayman in da end .. of those 4 i will hang my hat with Woll .. he just flat out can shut a door like none of those other 3 can .. and he can run it out for 3 OT periods if necessary .. just watch

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Didn’t get rid of any prospects and the expiring contracts weren’t worth anything.

Either the team wins a round or two or they’ll be making some big decisions, likely around Marner, in the off-season

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
In all fairness ,both tavaras and Nylander may have to be off the books to really change the barometer in a favorable direction
Or this group can play fearless hockey and win a few rounds
I can't have it both ways
No way the wealthiest hockey club in the world should be watching VEGAS start a poss8ble dynasty with for players eating up 45 million dollars

I see your point but to be realistic; until Tavares is off the cap we can't do much unless Tavares wants to win the cup and thinks Leafs aren't doing enough and requests a trade. If not we gotta wait out Tavares.

Nylander, got full NMC/NTC I don't think he is ever going to request a trade unless we have a new coach with whom willy doesn't see eye to eye.

VGK are cap circumventing; if tavares agrees to do what stone is dong and go on LTIR next season and be available right around the gm1 of playoffs then may be... :laugh:

I think this off season may be pretty exciting for us regardless of whether leafs go deep in playoffs or get spanked in the 1st round again.

We just gotta be a bit patient. I think we may move some pieces we have like Kampf, Robertson, etc... if need be to get some picks if need be.

I get the frustration; but we ruined it when we gave out UFA contracts to RFA players especially matthews and marner and they just didn't show up in the post season. We need to see them raise their games in post season before we invest heavily in terms of our draft capital or futures.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not happy that we gave up picks to get the extra retention on Boosh and Edmundson and then didn't need to when all was said and done.

I don't think thats an issue to be honest. It was to give ourselves some flexibility in case something becomes avialable.

I don't think this is quite as bad.

Reactions: OddyOh and Cleetus

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I see your point but to be realistic; until Tavares is off the cap we can't do much unless Tavares wants to win the cup and thinks Leafs aren't doing enough and requests a trade. If not we gotta wait out Tavares.

Nylander, got full NMC/NTC I don't think he is ever going to request a trade unless we have a new coach with whom willy doesn't see eye to eye.

VGK are cap circumventing; if tavares agrees to do what stone is dong and go on LTIR next season and be available right around the gm1 of playoffs then may be... :laugh:

I think this off season may be pretty exciting for us regardless of whether leafs go deep in playoffs or get spanked in the 1st round again.

We just gotta be a bit patient. I think we may move some pieces we have like Kampf, Robertson, etc... if need be to get some picks if need be.

I get the frustration; but we ruined it when we gave out UFA contracts to RFA players especially matthews and marner and they just didn't show up in the post season. We need to see them raise their games in post season before we invest heavily in terms of our draft capital or futures.

The issue is we are likely resigning Marner at 12-12.5M x 8. I would rather him walk and use the cap space elsewhere. JT has another year until we get cap relief. So next year will probably be similar to this year tbh.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The issue is we are likely resigning Marner at 12-12.5M x 8. I would rather him walk and use the cap space elsewhere. JT has another year until we get cap relief. So next year will probably be similar to this year tbh.
If they re-sign Marner it means they went to the Eastern final or better. Otherwise, he’s gone.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

We've needed a re-tool for a while now. IMO our window was basially done in Tavares' 5th year. No team has an open window forever. Sometimes we have to step back and re-evaluate so that the next window is bigger than the past.

Marner's raise would be about 1 to 2 million more than what he is already making cap is scheduled to go up quite a bit by the time Marner's contract is up for renewal.

I mean technically... Treliving can just let Marner walk as a UFA too if it has to come to that and something else is avialable in the UFA market that is as good or better than Marner.

Next year, if I am Treliving, I do the same thing that I did this year and wait out Tavares' contract. I would also force the coach to play marner away from matthews so that both of them can drive their own lines and make their line mates productive. If tey need each other to be productive then they really aren't worth what they are paid IMO

Reactions: egd27 and Cleetus

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would have preferred a few more 4ths/5ths being used on E.Johnson, and other large rhd but overall I'm fine with it from a long term perspective. That said its nowhere near enough to take down the Bruins or Panthers in round one.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I wanted him to just not do anything. These moves did nothing but thankful he didn’t do anything big. This team is going nowhere with this core. I’ll give him a C. Would’ve been B if he did nothing at all.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Fla and Carolina got significantly better , Boston and rangers got better .
I give leafs 20% chance of making it out of playoffs , should have traded expiring for picks

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Probably needed to do these types of deals in spirit (feisty, tough, defensive minded players) but for higher quality players. Were they available? I don't know. He improved on the weakest links, but with lower quality players. Didn't gives up a ton which is good, but didn't move the needle for me.. C range.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
B-

By no means a great performance, but he did add some needed depth and physicality that we’d need in the playoffs. He didn’t mortgage the future on high risk rentals, which i am happy about.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You can say whatever you want about the deals he made, but when it comes to the deals he didn't make? The team's effort and results in the two games vs Boston this week dictated Tre's approach. He knows this team is not close enough to trade the 1st, Cowen, Minten, etc.

He did just enough so that they don't get bullied, the onus is now squarely on Matthews Marner, Nylander and Tavares...AS IT SHOULD BE.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’ll give him an A- . The fact that he did not mortgage the future for a rental is a huge win. Honestly I think this will finally spark the boys. They aren’t going to get any additional help. It’s on the core.

Additionally people need to chill. Losing two to boston sucks but you have to think if we had Samsonov in net in one of those games we win. Not really liking Woll’s game right now

Reactions: PromisedLand

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
B+. He kept the big assets. Except for Lindholm and Monahan I didn't think the prices were too high and they could have improved the club but I think any real step forward will be this summer after either coach or president are moved out. When you spend all your money on just a few players you have to accept a clubs success is predicated on getting 100% out of those top end guys every night. Adding a rented Tanev or Walker, even though I wanted it, isn't a thing that will light a fire under the big 3 and they win jack without that.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad