Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looks like the organization had a plan after letting Casey. A great look on the organization. Nice hiring.
Masai continues to make good decisions

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wish him the best of luck. Not sure how much of a difference it's going to make to be honest.

It should be able to make a difference. We saw the improved offensive play with the new setup last season. The places it went off the rails seemed to be in spots or from tinkering that was known to have Casey's fingerprints on it (his allowing DeMar/Lowry to go off-script, especially DeMar. Substitution patterns, lineup decisions, etc.). Not saying it will change a lot of things, but it's not like we're pulling a coach out and replacing him with his clone. There's even been talk that Nurse and Casey didn't get along professionally. That alone seems like a reasonable basis on which to expect changes structurally/systematically for the team.

Doesn't look like the organization had a plan if they had to ax Casey. Doesn't look good on the organization.

pfft. what? It was reported from the beginning that they were looking internally and externally. And as the summer went on they've crossed names off the list to the point of getting down to a final decision between Nurse and Messina. And in the end they chose a guy who is well regarded around the league, has looked like he's in line for a coaching position now or in the near future (before this decision was announced) and who is known to be responsible for the Raptors offensive turnaround when we saw it work.

He also has coaching experience in college, in Europe, in the D-League (2x champion) and as an assistant at the NBA level.

If this doesn't speak to there being a plan in place, what does?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Meh, this is another Triano. I will have 0 interest in the Raptors next season unless they are able to make some major roster changes (unlikely). Why should I spend any time watching the Raptors next season? Especially with the Leafs doing well? f*** this organization.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Meh, this is another Triano. I will have 0 interest in the Raptors next season unless they are able to make some major roster changes (unlikely). Why should I spend any time watching the Raptors next season? Especially with the Leafs doing well? **** this organization.
See ya bud.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Meh, this is another Triano. I will have 0 interest in the Raptors next season unless they are able to make some major roster changes (unlikely). Why should I spend any time watching the Raptors next season? Especially with the Leafs doing well? **** this organization.
Then go. You werent a fan to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It should be able to make a difference. We saw the improved offensive play with the new setup last season. The places it went off the rails seemed to be in spots or from tinkering that was known to have Casey's fingerprints on it (his allowing DeMar/Lowry to go off-script, especially DeMar. Substitution patterns, lineup decisions, etc.). Not saying it will change a lot of things, but it's not like we're pulling a coach out and replacing him with his clone. There's even been talk that Nurse and Casey didn't get along professionally. That alone seems like a reasonable basis on which to expect changes structurally/systematically for the team.

pfft. what? It was reported from the beginning that they were looking internally and externally. And as the summer went on they've crossed names off the list to the point of getting down to a final decision between Nurse and Messina. And in the end they chose a guy who is well regarded around the league, has looked like he's in line for a coaching position now or in the near future (before this decision was announced) and who is known to be responsible for the Raptors offensive turnaround when we saw it work.

He also has coaching experience in college, in Europe, in the D-League (2x champion) and as an assistant at the NBA level.

If this doesn't speak to there being a plan in place, what does?

It's been a month and they just hired Nurse. The reports we all get are from the Raptor fan boys and apologists aka Grange. I will put it to you this way the team won 59 games and nobody was banging down the door to be the new coach.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
In a report from Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star, league sources say the newly minted head coaches - Nurse with Toronto and Casey with the Detroit Pistons - haven't been on good terms since Casey was let go by the Raptors on May 11 before Nurse's promotion to the top spot. One source even went as far as to say, "No love lost between 'em."

Another source suggested that due to the presence of the defensive-minded Casey and defensive coordinator Rex Kalamian, Nurse's offensive ideas weren't given a chance to be fully heard and implemented despite him leading Toronto's switch to a more pass-heavy motion offense this past season.

Nurse's supporters also apparently believe that along with his offense-first mindset, he'll hold players accountable in ways Casey could not, according to Feschuk.

thought this was interesting

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
He would change up the narrative to something else.

What are you even talking about? Raptors say they needed a culture reset bring back Casey he wins 59 games but out in the 2nd round. Now Casey was the fall guy. I'm not touching whether or not Casey was a great coach I am alluding to the double talk from Masai and the organization. Like I said earlier if you're going to fire Casey it should have been after last year. Don't give me culture reset 59 wins and blame him for failure. Casey was in Toronto for a long time he turned a cheeseburger into an all star but it's all on Casey now.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's been a month and they just hired Nurse. The reports we all get are from the Raptor fan boys and apologists aka Grange. I will put it to you this way the team won 59 games and nobody was banging down the door to be the new coach.

I can assure you there was more people sending in applications than there were actual candidates being interviewed.

Reactions: stickty111

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Now Nurse can fully implement what he wanted to when we implemented the offensive strategy this past season. Word has it Casey allowed the implementation but put restrictions on it.

Good hire. Smart hire.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Now Nurse can fully implement what he wanted to when we implemented the offensive strategy this past season. Word has it Casey allowed the implementation but put restrictions on it.

Good hire. Smart hire.

hopefully they change the product on the court, or else this wont really matter.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Doesn't look like the organization had a plan if they had to ax Casey. Doesn't look good on the organization.

Looks like the organization had a plan after letting Casey. A great look on the organization. Nice hiring.
Masai continues to make good decisions

lol

good cop bad cop

at this point looking to next season, the fans are just as polarizing as the team

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's been a month and they just hired Nurse.

Because they took their time on the search. They started with a broader list of candidates and whittled it down to messina and nurse before making their choice.

If they had named nurse the coach 3 days after Casey was fired, no doubt you'd chastise them for rushing into it and not taking the time to make sure they're making the right decision.

The reports we all get are from the Raptor fan boys and apologists aka Grange.

I wasn't aware that the us media or the likes of Marc Spears or Adrian wojanarski or whoever were raptor fanboys and apologists. You just categorize the media like that because they don't say what you want and it's easier to dismiss if you impugn their legitimacy.

I will put it to you this way the team won 59 games and nobody was banging down the door to be the new coach.

Of course not. Coaching searches don't work that way. The only guys that "bang down the door" publicly are usually guys that have no hope of being considered.

For all we know Nurse did campaign hard for the job internally. Or he didn't and he played coy because that's what most of them do since it gives you better leverage to negotiate a contract with.

Reactions: stickty111

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Because they took their time on the search. They started with a broader list of candidates and whittled it down to messina and nurse before making their choice.

If they had named nurse the coach 3 days after Casey was fired, no doubt you'd chastise them for rushing into it and not taking the time to make sure they're making the right decision.

I wasn't aware that the us media or the likes of Marc Spears or Adrian wojanarski or whoever were raptor fanboys and apologists. You just categorize the media like that because they don't say what you want and it's easier to dismiss if you impugn their legitimacy.

Of course not. Coaching searches don't work that way. The only guys that "bang down the door" publicly are usually guys that have no hope of being considered.

For all we know Nurse did campaign hard for the job internally. Or he didn't and he played coy because that's what most of them do since it gives you better leverage to negotiate a contract with.

Florence Nightingale will be his top Assistant.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You must love the prediction business since you knew what I would say?

I don't categorize the media as that because they don't say what I want them to. I categorize the local media as a bunch of shills because that's what they are. Grange goes from talking championship in February to blaming Casey for their failings come playoffs and won't point the finger at the players.

Nurse is noted as an offensive architect that isn't their issue. Their issue has been they let their offense dictate their defense. Unless Nurse changes that mindset they will continue spinning their wheels.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Great hire by Masai. Its a good thing we didnt listen to the poster that said to rebuild after we got swept by the Wizards, or that Masai is living off the Rudy trade.
By hiring Nurse, it looks like they arent spinning their wheels. The nice thing is there were a lot of candidates that wanted this job, no matter what negative fake fans say that come only during bad times. The best guy got the job.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Hey, if it works for President Buffoon...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Great hire by Masai. Its a good thing we didnt listen to the poster that said to rebuild after we got swept by the Wizards, or that Masai is living off the Rudy trade.
By hiring Nurse, it looks like they arent spinning their wheels. The nice thing is there were a lot of candidates that wanted this job, no matter what negative fake fans say that come only during bad times. The best guy got the job.

Culture reset keep Casey win 59 games lose round 2 get swept, hire DC's assistant doesn't constitute a culture reset. I don't think this situation will be as bad the last time Ujiri fired the coach of the year.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
LeBron to Lakers is "gaining traction".

With LeBron already owning a couple homes in the LA area, and LeBron Jr going to school in LA, it's certainly a possibility. But then again, if LeBron wants to head out West, you'd expect teams like the Spurs and the Rockets to make their own pitches to LeBron.

If LeBron does indeed head out West, at least Nurse won't have to worry about defeating LeBron in a playoff series until the NBA Finals (should the Raptors even advance that far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad