Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
based on who doesnt like this move and who does, im excited for Raptors ball this year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It should be able to make a difference. We saw the improved offensive play with the new setup last season. The places it went off the rails seemed to be in spots or from tinkering that was known to have Casey's fingerprints on it (his allowing DeMar/Lowry to go off-script, especially DeMar. Substitution patterns, lineup decisions, etc.). Not saying it will change a lot of things, but it's not like we're pulling a coach out and replacing him with his clone. There's even been talk that Nurse and Casey didn't get along professionally. That alone seems like a reasonable basis on which to expect changes structurally/systematically for the team.

I hope you're right. My scepticism stems from the fact that he's a familiar voice in the locker room. I hope the players respond to him in the same manner as they would to a coach that was hired outside the organization.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
LeBron to Lakers is "gaining traction".

With LeBron already owning a couple homes in the LA area, and LeBron Jr going to school in LA, it's certainly a possibility. But then again, if LeBron wants to head out West, you'd expect teams like the Spurs and the Rockets to make their own pitches to LeBron.

If LeBron does indeed head out West, at least Nurse won't have to worry about defeating LeBron in a playoff series until the NBA Finals (should the Raptors even advance that far).

If this comes to fruition, that in of itself will give me a sense of optimism going into next season. No disrespect to Boston or any other improving teams in the East, but it would certainly increase our chances of advancing to the finals at the very least.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If this comes to fruition, that in of itself will give me a sense of optimism going into next season. No disrespect to Boston or any other improving teams in the East, but it would certainly increase our chances of advancing to the finals at the very least.

Anyway, if you can't beat LBJ, you're not good enough to win the championship. That's how pathetic this franchise is right now, they are hoping for LBJ to go out west to even have a chance to get swept by him only in the finals this time. That's the absolute ceiling. Winning the weak east means nothing. We clearly just saw that with LBJ getting swept in the finals. Winning a bunch of games against weak teams in the regular season does not make a team great.

Last edited:

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Anyway, if you can't beat LBJ, you're not good enough to win the championship. That's how pathetic this franchise is right now, they are hoping for LBJ to go out west to even have a chance to get swept by him only in the finals this time. That's the absolute ceiling. Winning the weak east means nothing.

I would argue that that is what is pathetic about the NBA right now. Imagine you were a team in the West. No one can beat the Warriors. It's just impossible. An similar argument could be made for Lebron. The only team that can beat Lebron in the playoffs is the Warriors.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would argue that that is what is pathetic about the NBA right now. Imagine you were a team in the West. No one can beat the Warriors. It's just impossible. An similar argument could be made for Lebron. The only team that can beat Lebron in the playoffs is the Warriors.

Houston does if Chris Paul was able to play either game 6 or game 7.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Anyway, if you can't beat LBJ, you're not good enough to win the championship. That's how pathetic this franchise is right now, they are hoping for LBJ to go out west to even have a chance to get swept by him only in the finals this time. That's the absolute ceiling. Winning the weak east means nothing. We clearly just saw that with LBJ getting swept in the finals. Winning a bunch of games against weak teams in the regular season does not make a team great.
Well, that makes 28 franchises in the NBA pathetic. Guess they should ALL pack it in and tank...

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Houston does if Chris Paul was able to play either game 6 or game 7.

My stock response to this kind of post: With what kind of certainty can you make any claim like this? You might be right, but you can't make a statement of truth about a hypothetical. Plus, okay, add Houston to the elite teams. That's still 3 teams in a league of 30.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
My stock response to this kind of post: With what kind of certainty can you make any claim like this? You might be right, but you can't make a statement of truth about a hypothetical. Plus, okay, add Houston to the elite teams. That's still 3 teams in a league of 30.

What did you think of Golden State after being down 3-2 to Houston? GS had no answer for CP3 and the level he was at in game 4 and 5. I don't think it's a hypothetical to say GS didn't have an answer for CP3 especially when in game 7 there wasn't a pure PG to settle down the Rockets when they kept on shooting 3's in a tight game 7.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
And Boston with their two best players probably beats Lebron.

The Raptors didn't have anybody who could guard Lebron or score on Lebron. A sweep was hardly shocking.

I'm not convinced. You basically take out two elite defenders and replace them with good scorers who can't defend anybody. I'm not saying that they are better without Hayward and Irving but they will be very different with them. I felt even this season the Celtics were a tougher out when Kyrie was hurt than when he was playing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'm not convinced. You basically take out two elite defenders and replace them with good scorers who can't defend anybody. I'm not saying that they are better without Hayward and Irving but they will be very different with them. I felt even this season the Celtics were a tougher out when Kyrie was hurt than when he was playing.

Boston has such a diverse bunch of players though and if you want to win a title and beat a team like GS that's what you need to have. They could start a 5 of Horford-Tatum-Hayward-Brown-Irving, or start Smart instead of Brown and they still have guys like Morris/Rozier off the bench. They probably will find another banger like Baynes and along with possibly 3 2019 1st rounders as trade value. They have a lot of flexibility.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
And Boston with their two best players probably beats Lebron.

The Raptors didn't have anybody who could guard Lebron or score on Lebron. A sweep was hardly shocking.

True, and although he was a big part, it was his teammates who stepped up and destroyed us.

We should have let him get his 50 every night and kept everyone else asleep. Double-teaming him off the ball to see him toss out and find an open shooter beyond the arc (over and over and over again) really killed us.

Oh, and DD's perennial disappearing post-season act didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad