Raptors Discussion: Raptors name Nick Nurse as new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Other than OG, what attractive package are we going to put together to land a top 10 pick
I'll believe when I see it

Already suggested it and the rumour has now flooded around in recent days, but, DeMar for 4 + Parsons.

That’s for a Bagley/Doncic though, no disrespect to Shai.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A far more realistic possibility would be acquiring a late first-round pick or buying into the second round, where they’ve had recent success mining for hidden gems.
The Raptors still have the full $5.1 million cash allotment the league permits teams to include in trades each cap year. That could come in handy if they choose to simply purchase a second-round pick.

Norman Powell is also a noteworthy trade chip. The Raptors have already been gauging interest in the 25-year-old guard ahead of the draft, sources tell TSN. After signing a four-year, $42-million extension in the fall, Powell turned in a disappointing third NBA season, losing his starting job in November and then falling out of the rotation altogether.

Although they believe he can bounce back, the team’s depth has made Powell expendable. If they’re going to move him, this might be the best time to do it.

Powell’s extension doesn’t kick in until July 1. After that, any team that trades for him would have to match his $9.4 million salary for next season, or absorb it into cap space (though few teams have that much room). If he were traded before the end of the month, the other team would only have to match or absorb the $1.5 million he made this season.

In other words, it’s easier to make the framework of a Powell deal work now than it would be in a few weeks when, theoretically, the Raptors will have fewer potential trade partners.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich traveled Tuesday to Southern California and met with Kawhi Leonard prior to Thursday's NBA draft, league sources told ESPN.
Leonard wants a trade to Los Angeles, preferably the Lakers over the Clippers, league sources said. He has privately maintained that he no longer wants to play in San Antonio and will eventually alert rival teams considering trades for him that his intention is to sign in Los Angeles when he can become a free agent in 2019, league sources said.

The Spurs are unlikely to be motivated to facilitate a deal to the Lakers, league sources said.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Never anticipated an nba draft more and all the side deals that are sure to come, kind of bored with goings on, at least I can mull over Connor Carrick's new Contract. o_O way to go Leafs

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Never anticipated an nba draft more and all the side deals that are sure to come, kind of bored with goings on, at least I can mull over Connor Carrick's new Contract. o_O way to go Leafs

Agreed. NBA is the most corrupt of the pro leagues IMO . So this should be interesting :) definitely makes for conversation.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
A big deal involving Demar or Lowry seems unlikely given the complexity of the cap, but, sounds like a fun idea.
Here’s hoping :)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
A big deal involving Demar or Lowry seems unlikely given the complexity of the cap, but, sounds like a fun idea.
Here’s hoping :)

So it’s worth noting that according to multiple league sources, Toronto is open for business, and in particular looking to shake up the top end of its top-heavy roster. Certainly Raptors general manager Bobby Webster has done little to dispel the idea that they were exploring opportunities to move into the draft, with the usual caveats about how exploring and doing are vastly different things.

In that light, one source told me that all of DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas and Serge Ibaka are available this summer.
That makes sense when you consider they represent a combined $97 million in salary commitments for a team on the hook for $127 million before signing VanVleet. Given the luxury tax threshold is projected to be $123 million, if they plan on signing VanVleet to a contract that will likely start at about $8 million, they need to shed about $12 million for next season.

Another source told me he believed one of the Raptors’ ‘medium three’ – Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka – won’t be back next season.

The least painful way to avoid the tax would be to find a taker for the four years and $42 million they will owe Norman Powell after July 1.
Given Powell is only on the books for $1.5 million before July 1, there might be some potential for that to happen if a team can talk themselves into Powell’s issues being rotation-related rather than a fundamental glitch halting an otherwise encouraging development curve.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If you're an NBA fan, this is an exciting night
If you're just a Raps fan, this will be boring

Meh, the draft is always pretty boring, tbh. This year, we get to see really bad franchises (Pho, SAC, Atl, make questionable decisions. Don't confused what the media likes (chaos) for excitement.

I, for one, am happy the franchise I cheer for is well-run.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Question for anyone, as I am a new fan who doesn’t know anything yet.

What would be the hockey prospect equivalent (any draft year) of these NBA prospects be? potential wise.

Would appreciate the same feedback about the Raptors roster (NHL player equivalent).

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Meh, the draft is always pretty boring, tbh. This year, we get to see really bad franchises (Pho, SAC, Atl, make questionable decisions. Don't confused what the media likes (chaos) for excitement.

I, for one, am happy the franchise I cheer for is well-run.

Of the major sports, draft picks in the NBA and maybe the NFL are able to make the greatest immediate impact. Teams getting young new players is always exciting. The core of the GS Warriors is built through the draft with Curry, Thompson and Green. There's also potential for a major trade tonight.

We're no model franchise that's for sure. There's a reason we don't have a draft pick

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Of the major sports, draft picks in the NBA and maybe the NFL are able to make the greatest immediate impact. Teams getting young new players is always exciting. The core of the GS Warriors is built through the draft with Curry, Thompson and Green. There's also potential for a major trade tonight.

We're no model franchise that's for sure. There's a reason we don't have a draft pick

Right, and we got OG for Vasquez which was a dream scenario. Chances of the 29th pick making an impact? Certainly not as high.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
What happened to those picks we got in the past 2-3-4 yrs? Didn’t we get picks in Bargnani trade?

I guess I haven’t been following closely.

Where did all our picks go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->